_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
P-51D 44-64147 MX-U ‘Big Dick’ | Tamiya 1:48
Kendzior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 05:25 PM UTC
“Big Dick” in the craps is a pair of fives. Ten as a pair of 5’s may also be known as “puppy paws” or “a pair of sunflowers” or “Big John.”, but taking into account that “Dick” is a diminutive for Richard, one can guess that for this play on words the Captain, and later Major Richard A. Hewitt has chosen the name for a plane which is the subject of this gallery: P-51D-20NA serial number 44-64147, code MX-U, 82nd Fighter Squadron 78th Fighter Group, in Duxford.

The model is a Tamiya product, supplemented with:
1) resin wheel wells and covers from Aires (replacement of the original wrong wheel wells, seems to be a problem of most of the Mustang kits in this scale)
2) resin cockpit from Aires,
3) metal barrels from Master,
4) resin exhausts from Quick Boost,
5) Print Scale Decals (48-039).

Painted with AK Extreme Metal, washed with Panel Liner from MIG, weathered with pigments from AK.

The decals failed – checkerboard under the exhausts does not correspond to reality, but I decided to use them anyway. Technically, however, they were fine.

Hope you like it – the job is not perfect, but I learned a lot during the construction.

And the finished model:

And some photos with white background:

Hope you like it.

Best, Hubert
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 07:18 PM UTC
Howdy,

Awesome build!! Really looks great.

Brian Riedel
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi Hubert,

Very nice build of my favourite aircraft of all time. The Mustang just looks 'right'.

Excellent work on the cockpit.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Kobus
Kendzior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
Thanks for your nice comments, glad that you like it
Best
Hubert
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hubert,
That's one really nice P-51D. The Tamiya kit really does it justice. I just wish that the manufactures, especially Tamiya with their series of 1/32 scale P-51Ds would have removed the wing panel lines. You took the time remove them, and the results speak for themselves. Well done. While the fuselage was bare Aluminum, the wings left the factory painted with Aluminum dope.

Not sure what you meant by issue with the nose checkerboard, but it looks outstanding in the photographs.

Joel

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:29 PM UTC
Lovely build Hubert. Great attention to detail and a very nice finish on the paintwork.

Cheers, D
Kendzior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:27 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments Joel and Damian.

Quoted Text

[...]I just wish that the manufactures, especially Tamiya with their series of 1/32 scale P-51Ds would have removed the wing panel lines.[...]
Not sure what you meant by issue with the nose checkerboard, but it looks outstanding in the photographs.
Joel

As for the issue of panel lines and rivets - I fully agree, however I think this should apply to 1:48th scale too. They just have to be removed unless one makes a museum piece, which Tamiya probably modeled.
Technically bigger problem in my opinion are the wheel wells, making them correctly requires major surgery.
The nose checkerboard looks quite well, but unfortunately is incorrect. That's how it should look like:

Best
Hubert
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hubert,
Fantastic P-51!

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP