_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang "Petie 2nd"
madcat911
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 112 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:39 AM UTC
Apart from the Eduard PE seat belts, this was built OOB. This was a build of "firsts" for me:*first WWII plane, first propeller plane and first build completed in overall silver.*

It was painted with Polished Aluminium from AK Interactive's new Xtreme Metal range. The paint went down rather smoothly and had a great shine over a coat of gloss black. However, it did not adhere well to the kit's surface and several parts rubbed off. After spraying the appropriate areas back with the paint, I sealed the whole model with Mr Color gloss clear. This helped protect the paint thoroughly at the expense of the coating losing a bit of the metallic sheen. I elected to keep weathering to a minimum. What little you see was done with oils and pigments.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Mark
simonn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 62 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:38 PM UTC
Mark

It's interesting to hear how you dealt with the aluminium rubbing off. I've had that problem too. From the photos it looks like it worked. The reflectivity looks fine to me. And that's a far better result than I got on my first attempt. In fact I would be really pleased with that result at any time. That's a great looking P-51

Simon
Kendzior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 03:32 PM UTC
Mark,
Nice and clean Mustang, well done.
I have also had some problems with AK's Extereme Metal paints on my Mustang, however not exactly rubbing-off, but the way the subsequent layers of paint have corresponded with previous ones, these were significantly less shiny and even.
These paints work best if sprayed in a single thin layer.

Don't see any problems with the NMF on your model.
Great photos.

Best regards
Hubert
 _GOTOTOP