_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Eduard 1/48 bf109-e7 Black 8
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:04 PM UTC
3rd and final build is off the bench. Now for something new.
I've left the spinner intentionally unresolved while I mull the options. My previous wheels up with 'spinning' prop is below for a comparison. I think I'm done with 109's for now.
Thanks for looking.

kahunaminor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:20 PM UTC
Mate,
The build itself looks good. The RLM 80 splotches look well done and the weathering looks restrained but natural. I like the method you used to mount it. As for the epinning prop, I wouldn't profess to know really. Your early version looks good but I have to deduct points for no pilot. I know Eduard do not supply one but it just looks too weird as in in flight pose without a pilot.

Regards,
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hi Kent, thanks for the comments.
There are definitely things I'd do differently around the painting next time. It took some effort to get it to a point where I was happy with it.
Regarding the pilot or lack thereof, I'd say it's subjective and each to their own. My miniature painting skills are rather limited and I think a poorly painted pilot would detract from the aircraft.
Posing wheels up and no pilot, for me, lets me appreciate the lines of an aircraft, which is what I after at the end of the day.
Thanks again, and hope your own trop is progressing well.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
The new one looks fantastic, but IMHO the spinning disk prop looks horrendous and cheesy.

Personally the only way I have ever seen a spinning prop done well is with a propblur.

http://www.propblur.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

They look far better in person, just make sure to weather the blades as you would if it was static (faded black etc)
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:26 AM UTC
Nice looking Emil, Mate! I like the way you've done the green splotches in a soft-edge masked appearance. May I ask what you used to mask?

As far as the prop goes, I don't think that either the circle or the prop blur look realistic from all angles. After all, a propeller blade is a 3-dimensional object. I would rather see the propeller not moving than some 2-dimensional thing that doesn't look like a propeller from every angle.

Best wishes!

Gaz

Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Quoted Text

but IMHO the spinning disk prop looks horrendous and cheesy

….but fair comment, FWIW I’m not a fan of the prop blur PE, but I also haven’t used them or seen them in person. When I do another ‘wheels up’ I’ll probably look at using them as I’m more interested in mixing things up rather than sticking to one method.
For the Spit, one of the objectives was to have a crack at some form of prop blur.
For the Emil, the objective was to show off the lines of the aircraft clean and in flight, so I may just go with no prop (but fix up the spinner).
Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Gaz,
Chur. For the green splotches, I used the metal masks from modelworks, but settle in, it’s a slightly long story.
I started the wings first and laid them down with a bit of blue tack to space them slightly off the surface. Despite this, and with the psi dialled down, there was a fair bit of subtle overspray on the RLM79. This wasn’t just around the edge, but in the middle of RLM79 spaces. I think the paint was quite thin and it ‘bounced’ back down of the masks. Like I said it was subtle but enough to notice.
To fix it up I sprayed a lighter RLM79 shade around to break it up and it helped to modulate the paint work as well.
So, based on that, for the fuselage, I taped over the masks with 3M painters tape (see 8 in the image) and painstakingly cut out the splotches and applied the tape to the sides.
Despite trying to keep it soft the result was too sharp for my liking so it was back to trying to soften it with the airbrush.
Next time I will reuse a smaller section of the metal mask and slowly build up sections of blotches at a time, more like mottling but with the aid of a template to shoot though.
Clap clap, wake up, I’m finished.
Re the prop, I concur with your thoughts, except I’d probably lean toward no prop, just spinner. On the real thing, prop blur is a result of camera shutter speed, so when we do prop blur we’re trying to replicate a photograph…or, something something mumble.
Cheers.

kahunaminor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kent, thanks for the comments.
There are definitely things I'd do differently around the painting next time. It took some effort to get it to a point where I was happy with it.
Regarding the pilot or lack thereof, I'd say it's subjective and each to their own. My miniature painting skills are rather limited and I think a poorly painted pilot would detract from the aircraft.
Posing wheels up and no pilot, for me, lets me appreciate the lines of an aircraft, which is what I after at the end of the day.
Thanks again, and hope your own trop is progressing well.

Cannot argue the point on maintaining the lines of the aircraft, it is reason to admire the build. I still like it and maybe it was an experimental drone? Zos Germans were tricky, nein?

Regards
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:32 AM UTC
Nice job!!! I really dig how you mounted your 109. Its really inspiring I may have to build one now. Might be a relief not dealling with the undercarriage!

I actually kinda like your spitfire prop. I know its not 3 dimensional but its not bad if one desires such a thing. Ive thought about trying similar. For this one I might have added a fainter yellow ring around the whole outer edge. However Ive yet to try it myself and see it from all angles and whether it would really work for me
 _GOTOTOP