_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Question to staff
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:51 PM UTC
Hai,

I have used a photo service for quite some time for posting pictures in forum threads. I did this to lower the cost on kitmaker for space for all these foto's, and for redcucing the server load as those pictures are now coming from somewhere else.

This was wrong. Some time ago that service changed their user conditions adding to every newly uploaded picture a background with publicity, reducing the size of the actual picture on screen. Hence, I don't want to renew my subscription.

Problem is now that I have a lot of pictures in aeroscale forum threads that are hosted on that site, and as soon as my subsctiption expires all those pictures will disapear.

I have already asked staff-jim if there was an automated way to transfer these pictures to my albums on kitmaker, or to get editing access again to my old threads to change these pictures manually but I got no reply.

I also asked the question in a reply to a post from someone else on how to deal with pictures but nobody seems to have noticed.

Hence, here is the question again. End July I stop using that photo service. after that date, it will be too late.

Finally, pictures are very important content and my experience with that photo service makes me even more convinced that kitmaker should maintain a complete database of all content, including pictures. I guess that a script can be written to download pictures from anywhere and store these locally, perhaps with a tick box in user profiles for those who object to this. This way, everybody can use the photo service they prefer while kitmaker does not have to worry about broken links.

Of course, if nobody cares about the content of old forum threads and nobody minds the pictures disappearing, I will also be happy to hear that so that I can forget about it.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:04 PM UTC
Just to let you know, I have sent a reminder to look at this.

Thanks
Kevin
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to let you know, I have sent a reminder to look at this.

Thanks
Kevin

Thanks, and sorry for stressing out on this.

I just find that broken links on a site look so clumsy and could create dammage to the site's reputation.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:50 PM UTC
Just as a thought, you might consider subscribing to Kitmaker. I find I get way more out of it than the few dollars I put in, and I have more photo storage space than I am ever likely to use.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:08 AM UTC
I assume we are talking about Photobucket or something similar? I would love to be able to fix issues like this but scrubbing forum posts and grabbing the photos and hosting them here is a little outside my scripting experience. I could probably figure out how to do it, but have no idea how long that process would take.

I will do some looking around to see if anyone has some suggestions for this kind of issue. Obviously the images may be on some archives as well like archive.org. However the reliability of that as a hosting server is sketchy at best.

I wouldn't have a problem giving you access to fix the images, but how many topics are we talking about? Could be a lot of work either way I guess.

Give me a few days to look into it more.

Cheers,
Jim

PS: And no I didn't see the other topic on this or an email/pm, etc.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume we are talking about Photobucket or something similar? I would love to be able to fix issues like this but scrubbing forum posts and grabbing the photos and hosting them here is a little outside my scripting experience. I could probably figure out how to do it, but have no idea how long that process would take. I will do some looking around to see if anyone has some suggestions for this kind of issue. Obviously the images may be on some archives as well like archive.org. However the reliability of that as a hosting server is sketchy at best.

I wouldn't have a problem giving you access to fix the images, but how many topics are we talking about? Could be a lot of work either way I guess.

Give me a few days to look into it more.

Cheers,
Jim

PS: And no I didn't see the other topic on this or an email/pm, etc.

Hai Jim,

I emailed you some time ago using the contact form, maybe it got lost?

If manual intervention is what it takes, that is what I will do. the issue was never about the size of the spcae on kitmaker but rather on reducing the work load of the kitmaker server (and having all my pohoto's in one place.

Now this definitively teaches me not to try to be clever

In the long run a script harvesting photo's may be useful? It keeps kitmaker independent (imagine all the broken links when e.g. Photobucket would go out of business) and in extension an archive could be kept on kitmaker with the originals and a "reduced size" version for actual display.

Oh yes, I use Nikon Image space, worked perfectly for years until they invented putting every picture in a white frame shouting NIKON!
 _GOTOTOP