_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fokker Dr.I
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,

Some views of my Triplane:

https://photos.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php?photo=20905&password=&sort=8&cat=500&page=1

Enjoy!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
Nice stuff. Interesting paint job.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:14 PM UTC
Very interesting JPTRR!!!

Tell us about the build. What made you choose these markings?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

JackFlash, beautiful Gladiator on your site! It and the F3F are the only between-wars biplanes I like. I still have my old Life-Like (and three more unbuilt, bought before Roden) Gladiator proudly on the shelf. Fully rigged with a single piece of thread, it survived being dropped by a girlfriend (who then got dropped) with only a strut popping loose.

About the Dr.I. It is the DML built boxstock. It won a couple of awards at shows (little competition in that genre').

The paint job? I have always liked the streaked camo Fokker used. Research taught me the first few (not designated Dr.I, but F.???) were covered in a sky-blue canvas. Then the remaining blue was olive-streaked at the factory, and subsequent canvas was blue with olive streak pre-printed. If I am mistaken, please advise

The markings? The unit: Sonderjagdverband V. Honestly, freelanced. Growing up I played Avalon Hill's Richthoffen's War; I drew my aces' planes in color. This is a model of one of them. In the digital age, I played Red Baron and so decorated my Dr.I. #:-)

All the best,

Fred

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
[b]It is generally believed that the first F.I 100/17, 101/17, 102/17 ans 103/17 were streaked over lt blue dyed fabric. Though in the production machines this was simplified to just O.D. over unbleached Clear doped linen. (CDL) Your yellow piped bird is very reminicient of Jasta 27 machines. We know that they did emply yellow in such a manner. When you go to theaerodrome.com check for the name Dan San Abbott. This man knows everything about WWI aviation ans Jasta colors. I dont care mydelf for the DML /Dragon Decals. The kit is one of my favorites. I like your treatment of the scheme. Overall very pleasing.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
Also the Gladiator is not mine but was done by a fellow modeler. I think it was the
us-aircraft.com webmaster Mike Gawell.
 _GOTOTOP