_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Photobucket images restored
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:33 AM UTC
I have just discovered to my delight that all of the images in all my blogs that were taken down by Photobucket have been restored. I have not sent them any money nor have I promised to do so . What's up ? Have they realized the error of their ways and are making good or is this a " dangling carrot " only to be jerked away again if I don't cross their palms with gold ?
Some of the images I restored with ImageshackUS as the host and then continued my posts with them alone - this must have left an "overlap " of hosting if you will but all seems to be in order .

Anyone else care to weigh in on this ?
Baffled- ? Richard
27-1025
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
Nope. Cleaned out all my pics after they implemented their policy change and went to Imgur. Perfectly content to stay there.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:30 PM UTC
I had tons of pictures there and deleted everything. So far happy with flickr.
nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
AeroScale: 181 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just discovered to my delight that all of the images in all my blogs that were taken down by Photobucket have been restored. I have not sent them any money nor have I promised to do so . What's up ? Have they realized the error of their ways and are making good or is this a " dangling carrot " only to be jerked away again if I don't cross their palms with gold ?
Some of the images I restored with ImageshackUS as the host and then continued my posts with them alone - this must have left an "overlap " of hosting if you will but all seems to be in order .

Anyone else care to weigh in on this ?
Baffled- ? Richard

Hi,

exactly what i was thinking some days ago ! I discovered that completly by accident and without sending any money at all....

Nico
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 12:11 AM UTC
Oh, they indeed seem to have restored 3rd party hosting for free accounts - for the time being at least.
From them selling paid subscriptions with support for "display anywhere" starting from $4.03 a month I'd presume the current situation is only temporary. I gotta say that despite the much more reasonable pricing this time around, they lost me with the colossal d*** move they pulled last year, though.
(and this thread reminded me I still have some pictures to migrate from my PB account before pulling the plug on it)

But to nitpick: to my knowledge Photobucket never took down or deleted any pictures, they just dropped 3rd party hosting From free accounts.
...though which you could argue pretty much had the same effect as deletion for the vast majority of users. Because let's face it, who didn't use PB primarily for anything else than 3rd party hosting?
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 01:14 AM UTC
personally i couldn't give a rat's bottom what photobucket do now. I moved to imgur and i'll be staying there as of now.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 10:15 AM UTC
The "re-connection" is only temporary for a period of three months if I remember correctly (this started about a month ago from memory) and they reduced the cost of third party hosting to a mere few dollars American per month. I agree with the majority of you about Photobucket and will not be going back they burned that particular relationship! I'm still at a loss as to why Photobucket literally tried to commit suicide and self destruct. I wonder whether Yahoo had a hand in it somehow they seem to be sinking just about every purchase they make.
 _GOTOTOP