_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
New video building the Wingnut Wings Albatro
HOBBYMAN2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 05:26 AM UTC
New video on building the Wingnut Wings Albatros D.v Red Baron
linkname https://youtu.be/PExLikAHc70
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 05:52 AM UTC
Everything looked great on this Albatros until we got to the rigging. Really should have tried to get EZ line, which is available from WnW. What happened to the Ushi Van Der Rosen rigging mentioned in the beginning? The elastic thread from Wal Mart really isn't useful for rigging 1/32 WWI biplanes as it's way overscale. The fabric thread coating over the rubber will also attract dust over time, and it has a tendency to break down with age, which will lead to sags in the rigging. My preferred rigging is Chameleon brown 4lb test fishing monofilament, which fits perfectly in the pre-drilled WnW holes. It's translucent coloring allows it to be painted on any side which allows the color to be "conducted" throughout the line. It can be heated with a hot wire (I use a battery powered sewing thread burner) and it will snap in place and remain taught forever. Just a note as well-- the Fokker DVII mentioned does in fact have rigging around the tail and between the landing gear, and there are control wires that must be rigged. Very few WWI aircraft had "no" rigging (I can only think of two-- the Junkers D-1 and J-1 monoplanes, and I think the DI still had some in the landing gear area). With WnW, it's best to follow their instructions for a great looking model. Other than the rigging, this is a good beginner's video. But the rigging is like putting the Mona Lisa in a $1.98 Wal Mart frame.
Berkshire Junction is the manufacturer for EZ line, which comes in various widths and colors. It's primarily a model railroad product used for making telegraph wires. It's carried by Walthers, but you can also order direct from Berkshire Junction or WnW.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP