_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Sad News
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 02:00 PM UTC
April 11, 2020. PAUL LEAMAN "Gone West"

It is with great sadness that we have to report the death of Paul Leaman at age 90. Paul was a founder member of the Society and our Chairman for many years.

Paul was a hugely knowledgeable and prolific author on all matters to do with WW1 aviation. He was the membership secretary of the Essex Chapter of Cross and Cockade, which became Cross and Cockade GB in 1970. Paul ably led the Society for over twenty five years. He was our longest serving Chairman and, when he stood down in 2005, was elected a lifetime Vice-President in recognition of his many achievements. Paul’s immense contribution is honoured in the commemorative Paul Leaman Lecture, delivered ever since 2005, at our Annual General Meeting.

Hopefully, we will be able to publish his final work, a monograph on the RE8, in the not too distant future as a fitting tribute to one of the Society’s outstanding figures. He was the author of a fine monograph on the Fokker Dr.I.

Paul’s leadership, passion and dedication will be sadly missed. Our thoughts and condolences go to Christine and to their family.
southpier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 09:01 PM UTC
he was a cornerstone. the knowledge he leaves us with is a great contribution to the hobby.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 09:10 PM UTC
deepest sympathies to his family and friends in these dark times
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 08:28 AM UTC
I was very sad to read the announcement on the Cross & Cockade website that Paul passed away on April 8th. My sincere condolences go out to all his family and friends.

As David says - these are dark times.

Take care everyone...

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 09:09 AM UTC
We are all very lucky that he worked to pass on his knowledge to posterity. It won't make his passing any easier, but it does ensure that his knowledge isn't lost with him.
 _GOTOTOP