_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
I NEED DESPERATE HELP
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
Guys help me out here please. I went through my Flankers instruction booklet & I took note of all the different colours that were mentioned for areas that needed to be painted. This is my list. There was a number next to some of the colours. I will post that as well. Btw, this is for an academy Su-27B Russian Knights.

Gloss White F.S. 17925
Steel
Dark Blue F.S. 25187
Blue Gray F.S. 25526
Light Blue F.S. 25450
Black
Flat Black
Silver
Flat red
Gun Metal
Aircraft Grey F.S. 16473
Insignia White F.S. 17875
Yellow Green
Burnt metal

That the list. Then I went on to the academy website & looked at their list of paints. Look at it.
http://academyhobby.com/en/
Very few of the above listed paints are there.
WHY WHY WHY...please help guys.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
WD.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
Well, most of those colors are relatively generic and can be purchased by any manufacturer (ie Testors, ModelMasters, Tamiya, etc; I'm not even sure Academy sells paint). As for the number, historically, the Federal Standard 595B specification is a U.S. government paint color specification system that assigns numbers to colors in a loose arrangement which is used to designate a paint color.

The first digit signifies opacity (correct word?):

1 - Gloss
2 - Flat
3 - Clear (?) (i.e. clear red)

Generally the second digit of a color signifies general color:

0 - Brown
1 - Red
2 - Orange
3 - Yellow
4 - Green
5 - Blue
6 - Gray
7 - Other (white, black, violet, metallic)
8 - Fluorescent

For others out there please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the last three digits, the numbers 100-999 represent the sahdes of the color from dark to light respectively. For say, Olive Drab, A number like 24xxx and 24yyy (x and y representing two different shades) may still be clasified as Olive Drab but as different shades.

So in your colors you listed, FS numbers F.S. 25187, F.S. 25526, F.S. 25450, for example, and say we didn't know what colors they were, by looking at our reference we can tell all three are a flat (first number is 2), Blue (second is a 5), and the three different last 3 digit numbers show various shades. If you go to any modeling store or a store of any kind that sells model paint, some manufacturers give the FS number with it. If by chance, say we go in a store, find paints with those exact numbers, we would find out that the colors are Dark Blue, Blue Gray, and Light Blue, respectively.

The FS numbers on the instructions and what is available won't always match up number for number. Generally when that happens I settle for a paint close to the number (i.e. there is no 25526, so I settle for 25527; keep it as close as you can). When this happens you can look at both FS numbers and add black or white to darken or lighten the color depending on the required paint and the available paint.

This kinda came off more complicated than I expected, so if there is any (*cough* or all) that you don't understand, please don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else for a clearer response. I promise I'll try to be clearer.
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC
Wilddog- I am by no means an expert on this, but in the past another of these very helpful Gents posted this site.http://www.airmodel.sk/english/topcolor.html
Sorry, I can't make it active, but if you just copy & paste it into your browser window, it'll take you there(not a computerexpert either... ) The F.S. # is simply a 'Federal Standards' # that anyone making paint for the government has to adhere to. This site I have given you cross-matches all types of paint from different countries, and Identifies which model paints are the closest for reproducing them. Ihope this helps, and I'll see if I can find some others. Hang in there, man, we're here for ya!
(btw- Staff_Jim would prefer you not use all caps in the forum titles. It' considered "shouting". Cheers )
WildDog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maharashtra, India / भारत
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 09:28 PM UTC
Thanks Guys.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:49 AM UTC
There ya go fellas,

hth.

http://www.airmodel.sk/english/topcolor.html

Tread.
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thx Tread! Why is it I can't get that to work?!?
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi WD,

If you're building a Blue Knights team aircraft, Hannants have the correct colours in their Xtracolor range. If you're building an operational bird, we have the correct Flanker colours in our Colourcoats enamel range: ACSM 01, 02, and 03.

You can have a look at what's available in our line at:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Colourcoats_Paint_19.html

and we ship worldwide.
 _GOTOTOP