_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Completed Teknics engine
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:04 AM UTC
The 1/32 Teknics engine itself is finally finished. I tried to modify the kit air intake piping but it is not going to work, I will have to make it out of solder (like I have done on the two previous ones I have built for the Corsair and Jug). The accessory section is scratchbuilt. The bolts on the accessory section are pieces of 0.010" styrene glued into holes and snipped off with a set of surgical scissors. The ring between the banks of cylinders is 0.040" styrene strip and heatshields atop the cylinders are pieces of 0.005" styrene from a yogurt lid. The data plate is from the Waldron Hellcat placard set, the P&W logo is hand made on the ALPs. Next up is the engine mount and all the rest of the stuff from the firewall forward

8/11/04

The air intake piping has been added from pieces of 0.062" solder. Two pieces were cut at a sharp (around 60 deg) angle and glued together with CA. The seam was filled in with CA and the ends trimmed an bent to fit the front and rear cylinders. It sounds time consuming but once I got into a "groove" I could knock one out in 10 minutes, including painting (by brush). This completes the engine, about 3 weeks worth of work from the start. The exhaust piping is still yet to be done but that will wait until the engine is in place in it's mount and the fuselage halves are ready to be put together, several months down the road I suspect. I think I can modify the kit parts, if not, back to solder!

The engine mount and oil system has been built and installed. Lots of plumbing to do next!

Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
Dude that is one fine piece of work, cant wait to see the finished product....what scale is that in??
Paul
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:11 PM UTC
Wow, that looks awesome. You can really see the texture of the engine. The colors and ID plate are very realistic. I would also like to know what scale it's in.
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC
The engine is 1/32 and is destined for the Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat. I am going to open up the port side of the cowling and area in front of the firewall, that is why I had to build the accessory section. Teknics does not provide one.

woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:00 AM UTC
1/32nd? What type of microscope do you have? Electron?

THAT is truly amazing. I can't beleive the ID plate. And the nuts. And the bolts. And the plumbing. Blows my mind...
PvtParts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:09 AM UTC
Amazing..I have never seen anything like it..Damn thing looks real!!!
 _GOTOTOP