_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
U-2
Ajithgn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
Dear Friends,

I have built 1/48 U-2 Spy Plane. Since it is black in color, I am stuck with how to do the weathering and other detailing. Can some one help me ?

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,

Ajith

USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:55 AM UTC
Well, first of all, welcome to Armorama. Second, depending on the time period, bare metal works too. But sense it seems you are intent on doing the black version, you should know we are not talking about 100% black as the base color. I'd say anywhere from 70-80% black would do. Then use very slighter shades of the base color to similate fading, though not necessarily stripping of paint. Use 100% black as a wash to fill in panel lines. Good luck
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:17 AM UTC
Jeff (USNavy2534) is correct about them not being 100% Black. There was quite a discussion about this a while back on another site and it seems those wonderful "Black Birds" (U-2, TR-1, SR-71) we've built and marvelled at aren't black at all. The spec color is something called "Indigo Blue". Personally I think a "faded" flat black , as specified by Jeff, works well as I model mostly in 1/72. A weathered "Bird" would show various degrees of "fading" but in general they were pretty well kept.
I know, having been right next to a couple of these birds they look black, but the spec does say Indigo Blue.
 _GOTOTOP