_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
P38J
Hiram_Sedai
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
Gentlefolks,

This is my first metallic plane since I was 11. I use less bubblegum and considerably more paint.

Since I have a few more planes to build, please give me your honest opinion.

Thanks

Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
Not to bad esp if its your first plane in a while. I myself hope to show of a HS-129 on here soon.

I would think about painting any gun barrels that stick out a gunmetal color or such.

The props are excellent. last time i did a p-38 i really screwed up the prop tips.

there seems to be a split or two in the wing where the halfs join together I tend to use cloths pins to hold my parts together while the glue is drying to prevent this and fill in any gaps with putty and sand down the excess

just wanted to ask what kind of glue you are using I used to use testors model glue but have found that there are better things on the market esp for aircraft..

I perfer to use a plastic weld glue like plastruct (my favorite) or ambond.. these are great for putting together fusalage half's and help hide the seam line that can result.. I also sand off the fitting pins on the parts so that I can make a smoother join at the seam.

all and all not a bad build the most important thing is.. do you like it. thats all that counts..

Laters.
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:30 PM UTC

Hiram

Not bad if its a long time since you have done aircraft.

I agree with the things that Delbert has said.

There are some excellent tips here and also at Hyperscale for things like seam lines.

Looks like a P38 so it must be a P38. Keep up the good work.

Brian
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
Nice AC start. This is a pretty complex plane to start with.

One thing I would offer for your next project is to research washes. Thinned down paint applied in the nooks and crannies to bring out detail on things like the wheel struts and wheel bays.

Keep up the good work, on to #2
 _GOTOTOP