_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Where is a starting pt.
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC
Greetings all.
My daughter has shown interest in building circa ww1 aircraft models. does anyone purchase from squadron.com?
where is a good source for this type of plane.
She will be homebound for a few months and needs to have something she enjoys doing.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Redrider.
Congrats on your daughter choice.
Squardron has an excellent choice of WWI aircraft models and I have always been happy with their service.
They have a website, and you can take your time and do several searches for the scale, and price range you are interested in.
http://squadron.com/
You can order on line, and it normally tells you if somethiing is out of stock, if it is, but as with anything, some times thing go wrong, and it may screw up.
Normally I receive my order with-in a week from ordering.
If you order over 100 dollars there is no charge for shipping.
These days it's easy to go over that with the prices of some kits.
Once again Welcome aboard, and mention Armorama if you use the phone to call your order in.
Looking forward to seeing your daughter models here at Armorama.
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks for your help.
Yes I recieve their catalog updates (Squadron) and have been looking over their site.
For my next uh (silly) question, 1/72 or 1/48 scale, other than size is one more difficult than the other to work with?
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:24 PM UTC
Size does matter.... depending on the eye-sight, and and ability of the builder. WWI in 1/72 scale are extrememly delicate, smaller and much more fragile to build, to align the wings, struts, landing gear, etc.
Not knowing your daughter age, or abilities, or experience, it's hard to recommend 1/72 scale, and see her face much more fustration, than taking on a larger scale. With larger parts assembly is a little easier, and she may not get as fustrated in assembly, and aligning the various parts.
For a total newcomer to WWI bi-planes I would recommend the larger scales, suggesting perhaps the Hobbycraft 1/32 scale to cut her teeth on. Not overly expensive, and large enough to build with moderate ease and success.
Just remember, she is going to be building a rather hard subject from the very start reguardless of scale. Bi-planes are not easy to build, reguardless of scale.
I wish her good luck, and hope you both enjoy the time you will spend together building these kits.
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:41 PM UTC
Yes I agree with small detail being frustrating.
Thanks again for the great advise.
My daughter is 12 but is very good at that sort of mind numbing (tiny) parts assembly.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:00 PM UTC
You might look at one of the WW1 monoplanes as a first build. You avoid the biplane challenges 1st time out, but will get to do about everything else.

I'd avoid Blue Max (Pegasus) -- you need supplemental data (like Windsock's) to make sense of the instructions. Also they have some flimsy struts which usually need replacement.

In 1/48, Roden & Eduard are really going full tilt to release high quality, high detail kits.

Agree that a 1/32 would be a good start.

Hope this helps ....
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:18 PM UTC
And thank you sir.
The Roden co. in 1/48 scale seems to maybe fit the bill, although even larger would be better for a newbe.
I appreciate the help steering in the right direction.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:58 PM UTC
on the biplane (and triplane) front, the fokker abatros,fokker Dvii, and triplane dont have a lot of rigging wires to content with. in fact i would say that the triplane (Dr1) isnt too hard a build. the eduard non profipack ww1 kits build into very nice models out of the box and i would say that the three planes i mentioned here are a good point for a beginner to start, if you check out my gallery i have some pics of ww1 aircraft there,that are 1/72 scale. one warning though these models are very addictive, i built almost nothing else for a year in 2002!
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC
Hey Almonkey,
your works on the ww1 aircraft are to say the least (works of art) I espcially like the (gotha giv bomber).
I thinking I'm gonna enjoy working with these type models as much if not more than my daughter.
Thanks for the list of planes that would make a good starting point.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 08:56 PM UTC
thanks for your kind words! i had a link to a site you may find interesting but i had to track it down ( had puter problems last year lost a lot of info!) http://www.wwi-models.org/ p.s. if you go to the modeling information files there is a feature about getting started that list some more beginner level aircraft with a little info about each kit
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:50 AM UTC
Here is what you do to find parts, kits or books for WWI aircraft kits. Try ,
http://wwimodeler.com/esc/links-frame.html
for parts and kits and decals. Rosemont Hobbies specilizes in WWI aircraft kits.
Or you can buy direct.from Eduard.
Also available through Squadron are the Revell 1/28 scale kits. Fokker Dr.I, Fok. D.VII, Spad XIII and Sopwith Camel.
Here is a great compendium for getting young modelers started.
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
Thanks Almonkey.
At the moment my browser wont let me download that site but I'll try again later.
redrider
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:45 AM UTC
And greetings Jack Flash.
Thank you all for the very helpful info.
I have been checking out the Aerodrome site and its just loaded with good stuff.
I will check out the others as well.
 _GOTOTOP