_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Hows the A/C group build going?
TimberWolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC
Just wondering how everybody is doing on their planes. My corsiar got its broken wheel fixed and is sitting on my shelf right now. And I started an F-14 Tomcat.....i guess it could be for the group build too #:-) #:-) . The F-14 is still on the workbench you can find it Here!
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
Lookin' good, Timber!
I've made some progress on my Corsair. Step on into Yoda's Hut and see for yourself! The photos of the finished cockpit are on page two of the album.
Let me know what you think!

YodaMan
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hi Timber,
The F-14 is looking good !!! I finally finished my TBF-1C Avenger yesterday afternoon, but won't be able to post a photo of it for a few weeks. My planes are on display at my Daughter's school and will be there for a couple of weeks...
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 03:03 AM UTC
Still workin' on my F4D-1 Skyray - not ready for paint yet...

Gunnie
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha
haha
ha

Welllll . . . . .. . .

After realizing i was doing a Marine corsair and had to switch gears three weeks ago, I started an Otaki F6F-3. Got a rear nice scratchbuilt cockpit floor, rear bulkhead, pirated F7F-2 instrument panel, and not much else

But what the hey, I can do this
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
and i just got my rocker LMAO
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC
Congrats mike!

I've finished my corsair but need to get pics up. Hopefully soon.
TimberWolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 05:12 AM UTC
Wow nice cockpit there yodaman! the seat belts and insterment panel are amazing! Keep up the good work
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
I came to a grinding halt on my TBM-3 Avenger a couple weeks ago. This was for a number of reasons. I had some trouble with the wings and still have to fill the gaps, I'm just not looking forward to it. I was working a lot on my M13/40 tank (I must admit, I think I like building armour more ). Last, but not least, I'm back at university again, so I have a little less time for modeling. The M13/40 is done, though, so I will get going again. Hopefully for good this time (:-) (I like the new smilies Jim).

Nic
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
Gee... I forgot the overall reson for the topic: STATUS REPORT!
Heh... I tend to forget things. #:-)
I'm done with the interior and am now going to work on the landing gear and exterior paint. I'm not sure about the landing gear color. Interior green was the color for gear for other planes, but all my references show that the corsair front gear bays were white, while the rear was green. Anyone know why this is?

YodaMan
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
Just so you don't think it's too unusually, references state that the landing gear (both front and rear) on Avengers were white also. I'm not sure why this would be. The inteior of the bomb bay doors was interior green, but that's it (other than the interior, of course).

Nic
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC
Uh oh, the great Corsair primer/interior color debate . . . . .

There's a great little monograph on the web by William Reece that deals with, among other things USN aviation primer-related, Corsair, Avenger, Hellcat and Wildcat cockpit interiors and wheel wells. Lemme find the link tonight and I'll pm it to you and post it here.

modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
PAYDIRT!!!!!!

William Reece wrote this monograph a few years back, and it's still one of the best organized summaries of a nebulous topic I've found. Enjoy!

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~bunny/william.html
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 08:43 AM UTC
Thanks Mike!!! I'll keep that page bookmarked, as I'll probably do some more NAVY aircraft when My Corsair is done. These are pretty fun to build!
So if I understand it right, the gear bays were green and the gear themselves were light grey. Cool.
Thanks again!

YodaMan
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 01:00 PM UTC
Well, here goes--

Sitrep so far on my 1/72 F6F-5 Hellcat:
- Finished the cockpit. Painting and weathering done.
- Assembled fuse, wings.
- Painted wheels.
- Assembled all ordnance. Waiting for paint job.
- Engine + Cowling done and attached to fuse. Engine painted and drybrushed.
- Overall primer coat done. However, damn thing flaked off with masking tape on engine cowling when I was cutting out the catmouth markings. Had to repaint primer on again !
- Canopy masked using 3M tape. Ready for paint job.

Don't have a digicam, or I could have shared some pics ......

BTW, was able to do all this over last 2.5 weeks b'cos wifey and daughter are at my MIL's place #:-) ! Dunno how I'm gonna get it completed once they return this weekend !

BP.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
Well... As I'm just starting work with a new company i don't have much time right now... so I'm still where I stopped three weeks ago on my 1/72nd avenger :
- rear gunner's position complete (PE)
- cockpit started (surgery + PE)
- big pieces prepared...
and not a single drop of paint yet...
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 09:08 AM UTC
Done with my Tomcat! Don't have any pics yet though. It's still at the IPMS-Philippines Exhibit. Egress is this Sunday and I'll have the pics up by Monday. (:-)
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 04:43 PM UTC
I am behind. In fact I haven't started. I have some big plans for my avenger and after looking the kit over carefully and being realistic about my skills I decided to put it on hold for until I can do it justice. I may try and pick up a 1/72 scale model to build instead. Also when we where first going to do the build it was WWII, now that modern is included I would rather do a F-18 or F-14. As soon as I figure out which one I want I will get cracking on one.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Status Report!
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:24 PM UTC
I've got the fueselage halves guled together, puttied and primed. The engine is complete. The wing assembly and tail fins have also been glued to the main body. Everything is primed and ready for paint....
...and it scares me....

How do I take one of my best models so far, and not screw it up in the painting proces? We'll see. I can do this, I know I can!

Other than painting, all I've got to do is add the flaps and landing gear! I'd say total progress is 78% Woo HOO!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

YodaMan
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I have added a picture of my TBF-1C Avenger to MSN.

Click http://groups.msn.com/armorama/armoramasaircraftgroupbuild.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1065 to see it.....
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
Sorry to appear a bit dim, but what's this group build all about. Seems interesting.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi Holdfast,

Welcome!

Well, what the group build is all about is as follows: Somebody proposed that the A/C guys get together, decide on a type of aircraft, its era, markings, and then each one come up with a built up kit which would conform to the group decision by the 31st of October.

For ex, we decided to go in for a US Navy A/C, either WWII or beyond, and in any scale, any manufacturer. You'll most likely find the post that started all this somewhere on this site :-) , and you will get the exact details from there.

Some people have already finished their A/C models, and you can see their efforts at the MSn link given by Penny. Others are also supposed to complete by the end of this month, and I am among them !

Hope this shows some light at the end of the tunnel... ! Also, currently, the Armor guys are having three group builds going on.. A M4A1 Sherman, a Humvee and a Panther A.

We'll most likely be deciding on what to take up next after this build.. right, Penny ?

BP.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have added a picture of my TBF-1C Avenger to MSN.

Wow Penny! Looks great!!! :-) :-) Hope my Corsair turns out that good!

Quoted Text

We'll most likely be deciding on what to take up next after this build.. right, Penny?

I think for now the tentative plans are for a Monogram Pro Modeler build of either the P-38, F-86D Dog Sabre, Or the Ju-88... Models will be built OOB. Planned start date is January 1st.
Be there, or be... left on the ground, I guess.... ("be square" didn't sound cool enough... )

YodaMan
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hi Yoda,

Nice to know that the topic for the next build has been decided.

However, I have a problem - I have access to only Academy kits here, and can't get any ProModeler kits .... Also, I have run thru my stocking up of A/C kits(have 50 at last count), and can't afford to go in for more at this point(or in the near future either ! )

So instead of going for any particular brand, I rather say we go in for an aircraft, like say Ju-88 or P-38, and not worry about the make. That, IMHO, would be a better proposition...

My 2 cents...
BP
 _GOTOTOP