_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
fokker "flying razor"
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
hi all! one of my modeling goals this year is to get all the stuff ive started then put to one side for various reasons. this kit i think i started maybe 3 years ago, but ran in to problems with the decals, it seems they havent had a carrier film put on, so they just disintegrated when i put them in water,which bearing in mind the fusalage was totally covered with lozenge decals was a big problem, a while later i got some after market lozenge sheets but by that time i had lost interest in it. last month i got it out and set to finishing the thing, and this is my progress to date, although i got the wing on, knocked it off a day later, put it back, knocked it off again a couple of days after that! thiskit is still fighting back, but im getting there (the wing will be the absolute last job on this kit)

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 03:02 AM UTC
Looks great Phil, every time I try and get unfinished projects to the finish line I seem to start more as well.
Mal
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
It's looking good so far - is this the Roden 1/72 kit? How were the other decals with the kit? The reason I ask is that I'm about to start applying the lozenge to my D.VII and would rather not have the decal shatter on contact w/ water.

Mika
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
yeah its the roden kit,mika i think the problem with the decals is that they forgot to give these a carrier film coat, and this problem is a bit of a one off, ive built quite a few ww1 roden kits and would reccomend them as being exellent, although i did notice that the kit supplied lozenge was nothing like the box art work, and the replacements i bought were ( they were pegasus 4 colour lozenge upper and lower) i have a pic somwhere of them together, and the kit ones are a lot lighter than they maybe should be
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 04:50 AM UTC
i found the pic, check this out, the aftermarket decals are on the fusalage, while the kit supllied one is on the undercarridge "wing". they are meant to be the same thing! i know which one i prefer
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 02:32 PM UTC
Phil, I see what you mean about the colors. I think the AM ones are better, and they match pretty closely with what comes with the D.VII.

I'm about the hit a gloss coat on the kit, and then I'll try out the decals. I'm not using the tailplane ones so I can see how they react to the evil H2O.

Mika
 _GOTOTOP