_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard's Fokker D.VII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:05 AM UTC
Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII #8133 Dual Combo kit

Greetings all;

The Eduard Fokker D.VII "Dual Combo" just hit my doorstep about 20 minutes ago. Included are the same identical Box art and instructions for #8132. The main addition to make it a "Dual Combo" is that there are two sets of plastic sprues for two complete kits with two extra fuselages for the Fokker Schwerin types. Two Photoetch frets are included as well. The same colour profiles are presented as in #8132. The kit box is taller so it will take up more shelf space.. The bill came to 44.95 USD.

http://www.eduard.cz/info/photos/8133
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:06 PM UTC
Here is briefly what you will get. Only one set of four colour and one set of 5 colour lozenge and one set of national personal markings decals as found in #8132. The only additions are as mentioned in the first post. The rib tapes are doubled in number as well. But I am of the opinion that they won't do you any good for the Fokker Schwerin airframes. They sould be lozenge or clear doped linen. Just my opinion. The #8133 kit has the same amount of lozenge as #8132. In both cases it one set of 4 colour and one set of 5 colour.

While I am a hugh fan of Eagle Strike aftermarket decals I have to give Eduard a B+ on the four Colour. I have had some success in over spraying it in a "dark blue" wash to bring it up to a similar hue as the Eagle Strike. I have not used or experimented with the 5 colour yet. This begs the question why didn't Eduard use Mark Miller's artistic impressions and virtual imagery when thinking of re-doing their lozenge? They did use it for their box art.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 04:34 PM UTC
Greetings all; Just some observations on the Dual Combo kit. On the kit lozenge... So far on the 4 colour I noticed somebody on their computer got cute an when it came to alternating the underside panels rather that turn them 180 degrees from the next someone used a computer to flip the panels. So the middle panel of the underside of the lower wing (only) are both inside out. Hah! Don't worry just hope some old wingnut isn't the judge at your next contest.

The panels on the top surfaces of both wings seem ok.
Also just incase you were wondering. There is only enough 5 colour for the wings and the undersurface of the fuselage and horizontal tail unit because the scheme that are concerned don't have five colour apparent on the overpainted fuselage....but I have to ask why give us the undersurface fuselage panel?
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hi Rowan.
That cockpit is amazing and the decaling is fantastic.
Excellent job.
I´m anxious to see the bird finished
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Merlin. Is fantastic, wonderfully, I would like to know more on this wonderful panel of instruments. I see wood and other details, but ... I would like to know that added with regard to kit you have included in this kit. Who are the added ones that you have introduced and since you have done it. For me simply it is wonderful. Thanks

Please forgive me for jumping in here Miguel. I know Merlin is swamped. First there were different layouts of the D.VII panel. This represents the OAW version and compares well with the existing example in 4635/18 in the NASM in Washington D.C. The gauges in the cockpit are described in the Anthology series books by Windsock / Datafile. In the cockpit you have L-R Bosch staring Magneto, Main fuel , reserve fuel and water pump greaser. Then at far right on the panel fuel tank pump and valves, off levers. The hand pump was for pressurizing the fuel tank. The compass (on the floor mount) was on a gimble type mount.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:03 PM UTC
Cheers Carlos and Stephen

Seeing the pic again has re-inspired me to get stuck in and finally finish this bird! Having stalled for so long, I'll have to remind myself where I've got to, but at least there's one thing I won't need to worry about... the lozenge decals should be thoroughly dry by now! LOL!

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the skies over War torn Europe in 1918...

The Royal with Sheeeeezzz! OOOOohhhh aaaaaaaaahhhhh...wheres my wallet?
http://www.eduard.cz
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is briefly what you will get. Only one set of four colour and one set of 5 colour lozenge and one set of national personal markings decals as found in #8132. The only additions are as mentioned in the first post. The rib tapes are doubled in number as well. But I am of the opinion that they won't do you any good for the Fokker Schwerin airframes. They sould be lozenge or clear doped linen. Just my opinion. The #8133 kit has the same amount of lozenge as #8132. In both cases it one set of 4 colour and one set of 5 colour.

While I am a hugh fan of Eagle Strike aftermarket decals I have to give Eduard a B+ on the four Colour. I have had some success in over spraying it in a "dark blue" wash to bring it up to a similar hue as the Eagle Strike. I have not used or experimented with the 5 colour yet. This begs the question why didn't Eduard use Mark Miller's artistic impressions and virtual imagery when thinking of re-doing their lozenge? They did use it for their box art.

Greetings all; I have one of the Fokker Schwerin kits finished. Images in several days. The other one in about another week. The Spandaus even cycle...ok they don't but what do you expect for just 21 hours on a build?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 08:42 AM UTC
Greetings all; Seen at a local fly-in...of 1/48 scale Eduard Fokkers I took the stable out on a sunny day.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 10:07 PM UTC
Since we finished the Royal build and I have a keen interest in the type, I note that Eduard's newsletter for July pressing of the Fokker D.VII Combo mold in the Albatros of Johannistahl type has been cancelled or delayed.
"New, Canceled, Temporaly unavailable"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC
Greetings all here is the next in the Eduard re-issues of the Fokker D.VII. The crosses do not have any white border because the profile offered is all-white.

The separate PE "Zoom" set is a duplicate of the sets included in previous issues.

The original.

For more reading on the various license built Fokker D.VII represented in kit form.
Click here
Click Here II
Click Here III
Click Here IV
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 03:51 PM UTC
It looks like Accurate Minitures has struck a deal with Eduard. They are releasing the Göring Fokker D.VII under their label as well. Probably the same kit.
Click here.

Accurate Miniatures
ATE480401
1/48 ATE480401 Fokker D. VII
Category: Aircraft Models 1/48
Oberleutnant Hermann Goring
Retail Price: $34.95
Your Price: $26.20

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 09:19 PM UTC
Hi
I´m not sure but something makes me think about an allwhite Fokker Göring landed here in Sweden. That fokker turned up in Swedish colours later. Wonder if it´s the same DVII. If so the swedish fokker was repainted in silverdoop allover with black struts..
Göring hade a fling for Swedish girls (me too)
Must check this up. If anyone have the interest there is decals for the swedish DVII

Larsa
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:58 PM UTC
I've read why Eduard decided upon this particular aircraft- the only one without lozenge. Making it easier to fit into the cutprice weekend range. It's sounded logical to me at first.But it wasn't the only non lozenge Fokker DVII really was it? Maybe for wartime yes.
I wonder if Eduard or AM considered some of the many post-war options, many of which didn't use lozenge or at least had it painted over?

Anyway we really do need some easily available lozenge decals now more than ever!

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I´m not sure but something makes me think about an allwhite Fokker Göring landed here in Sweden. That fokker turned up in Swedish colours later. Wonder if it´s the same DVII. If so the swedish fokker was repainted in silverdoop allover with black struts..
Göring hade a fling for Swedish girls (me too)
Must check this up. If anyone have the interest there is decals for the swedish DVII

Larsa

Greetings Larsa!

There is an image of Göring by a BMW engined, black and white (ex-Jasta 26) Fokker D.VIIF. He landed it in Sweden as well. Douglas Pardee of Austrailia did a study on German aircraft that would later be sold to other countries post war. The Fokker D.VII was a hot item in the post war years. Many of the "sales" were probably black market.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
It has been 3 years. Did Rowan ever finish this build?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC
UuuhhI will in typical bureaucratic fashion point to Rowan and say ". . .ask him."

Greetings all;
Here a bit of fun on the subject of all-white Fokker D.VII types. The late build Fokker D.VII (Alb.) 6722/18 was on the rolls of the 9th Aero sqdn equipment accountability in Jan. 1919. It was over painted white and reasonably stained. The image of this machine was first published as a front cover for the Cross & Cockade USA Vol. 16 #4. The original can be found in the National Archives in record group # 18. When many of the Fokker D.VII types were handed over they had partially filled fuel tanks. The AEF daily air service operation procedures required that each machine's fuel cell / tank be topped off. Each production of the Mercedes 180 - 200hp inline six had specific fuel mix requirements for max performance. Several American pilots learned the hard way that the Benzine could not be replaced by fuel normally used by the AEF. There are several accounts where the fuel toleration by a specific engine could be rated as needing high octane or low octane tractor fuel. I suspect that the 200hp was the less tolerant and demanded higher octane.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
Well I guess I should start a new thread but guess what I'll be discussing in the next few days?

One other thing on the newest Eduard release. Guess what is not in the box. Well since it is all white you won't need any lozenge right? Wrong. There should be some for the cockpit interior and there is none. Its a good thing I have spare decals.

Question: Ok if it was painted at the factory for Göring would they have used lozenge why not just use plain fabric? They painted it white.

Answer: All components at the factory were covered in lozenge (rudders too) and then the areas requiring it were overpainted white. This included rudders and vertical stabilizer .Exsisting fabric examples prove this.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:57 AM UTC
Greetings all;

Just promoting the Aces High GB a few doors down. Our good man Andrew Beard (CMOT70) has completed a pair of aces himself. Haupt Bolle ( JG III / Jasta B) and Loerzer ( JG III / Jasta 26). The kit he used was the Eduard Fokker Combo #8132.

See Here just scroll down
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
Rowan,Id like to compliment you on your painting...I love the subtlety. I hope you finished her!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 02:36 AM UTC
Rowan , I hope you finish this build as well . I'm really looking forward on seeing the finial product .
 _GOTOTOP