_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/48 Roden Fokker D.VII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
Greetings all;
I was asked recently how the Roden kit compares with the Eduard since I preferred it to the Roden item overall.

Below is the kit in the markings of the "Purple Aces" from Paul Hogan's series G-8 and his Battle Aces (Circa 1933.) The story involved the use of captured American pilots and inducing them into the service of the kaiser as zombies with purple faces. Hence the figure.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:38 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I Just had a fellow modeler contact me discussing the Roden Fokker D.VII kit. Using the Part of Poland brass set a a template here is what he has done with some plastic rod.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC
I was recently asked about the Part of Poland fret so here is an older image of one of the first ones I did. This was designed specifically for the Roden kit.

Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 12:58 AM UTC
For the abov two photos of the DVII fuselage, is the frame covered? If so, in what material? Nice work btw!

Cheers,
Mark (++)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the abov two photos of the DVII fuselage, is the frame covered? If so, in what material? Nice work btw! Cheers, Mark (++)

The material is brass photoetch and the kit was made to fit inside the Roden plastic kit.

You can build it up to cover it and I used clear decal film as a base then sprayed it with a light mist of clear doped linen...sail colour. Then I covered it in lozenge decal film. More on that later.
Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
I'd like to hear more about the project.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC

".... I used clear decal film as a base then sprayed it with a light mist of clear doped linen...sail colour. Then I covered it in lozenge decal film. More on that later....."

Ya big tease!!!!

Now, please tell us more about this.....eeh?

Tread.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...Ya big tease!!!! ... Tread.

You should know I have been called that by prettier than you.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC

Ha haha ha..... :-) ...yeah, but were they cartoon characters? huh?.........
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ha haha ha..... :-) ...yeah, but were they cartoon characters? huh?.........

(Said in a whisper) Hey Tread do cartoons talk to you... Maybe we could hook you up to a help hotline?

So what say you folks to a how to on decal film skinning?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Here is that 1/48 scale Part of Poland & Roden kit crash. I built to match the first Fokker D. VII to fall into captivity. Fokker D.VII 368/18
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:07 PM UTC
Here is a shot from the opposite side.

I was asked recently how do I "fix the flat sided appearance of the brass frets to look round like tubing."

At this scale the flatness of the brass is easy to fix.

You need accelerator, rubber gloves and a breather mask, baking soda. (They are standard on my workbench.)

1. I etched it mildly with "Blackenit" (Model Rail roaders have used this stuff for years.) Wash the parts you have just etched in a stream of warm water and pat dry on a paper towel. The insert the parts into a clear jar and fill half way with baking soda. Put the lid on the jar and turn it over and over in your hands. The baking soda helps neutralize the acidic "Blackenit" residue. The wash it in a stream of warm water again and pat dry with a clean paper towel.

Here you are inhibiting the acid and stopping it from working further.

2. I added accelerator to all of the inside areas / surfaces of the longerons. Let this dry. This not only quick-dries the thin consistancy cyano but thickens it.

3. Then one joint at a time add a small drop of cyano using a clipped sewing needle. Clip the eye of the needle so that it is a two pronged fork. Used the thin cyano. This helps you get the joints only at first.

4. The Part of Poland fuselage frets are joined in sections of at least three with a fourth (usually the turtledeck) separate. Do one vertical side at a time.

5. When a side is tacked in place make sure the longeron edges are at 90 degrees to each other. Then start adding more of the cyano to these inside edges. They will dry quickly so there is little chance of you screwing up later.

This last step fills in the open inside areas between the flat edges. It is almost like laying a caulk between porcelein edges.

6. Add the turtledeck last. When all inside edges are firmly glued with a bead of cyano on the interior angles add accelerator to the outside longeron edges you want to round off and let dry.

7. Now with the same needle modified to a fork drag thin cyano along the outside seams of the mating edges of the longerons. Later you can even go back and add a gel if your looking to make it thicker. I did not think I needed to.

8. Add cyano to the horizontal and veritcal braces between the longerons.

9. After you have completed all four sides of the fuselage skeletal structure, shoot it with a metalizer laquer paint. Usually the laquer is hot enought to etch slightly into the quick dried glue surface. Let this act as a primer. Do this with in an half hour of your completion.

10. Finally shoot with an enamel. You will have to go back an repaint the bracing wires later but that is an quick and esy task. Let it dry in a safe place for about two to three days in a dry moisture free area.

After that inspect your work and see if you need to round out any more edges. (I did not need to.)
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:55 AM UTC
Well, that is very impressive! Truelly impressive work, Stephen!

I also have Part's PE for my Roden's Fokker DVII F (late built) and was really shocked to discover all those structural elements in PE
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 04:30 PM UTC
Sorry for the long delay in reply. Yes Roxter the Part of Poland frets are a dream and a pleasure to work with. I keep thinking of various applications. I was considering a diorama of a crashed Fokker D.VII from Jasta 67 flown by a Ltn Marwade when he tried to strafe an American observation balloon. His machine overturned and the American infantrymen in the area souvenired most of the machine's fuselage fabric. I have a couple of images of the scene.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:00 PM UTC
Roden has posted some more Fokker D.VII builds.

Leading off is one from Aeroscale Member KALT

Then there is one from me in the Roden kit lozenge and Ukrainian markings.

Here is a bit of fun on the subject right here at Aeroscale.

Just for the sake of having them in one place. For more reading on the various license built Fokker D.VII represented in 1:48 kit form.
Click here I Eduard Royal Feature
Click here II Eduard OAW Feature
Click here III Eduard Schwerin Dual Combo review
Click here IV Roden Schwerin kit #415 Feature
Click here V Eduard Schwerin Weekend kit blog
Click here VI Eduard 2nd OAW issue Review
Click here VII Eduard MAG Dual Combo Review
Click here VIII Eduard Johannistahl Review
Click here IX DML / Dragon Kit Review
Click here X Hasegawa Kit Review
Click here XI Jager Kit Review
Click here XII Roden Early Schwerin kit Review