_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
FW190: where to from here?
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi all, this is my third model after a 15 year break forom the hobby. It's a Hasegawa 1/32 A-5. I just concentrated on building a nice clean model, but not having much experience weathering, I'm sort of stuck at this point. I don't want to mess up the model! It's just had a gloss coat, and I know there are some detail innacuracies, but I wasn't too worried about building an accurate model at this stage. Suggestions would be welcome!

Incidentally, I only got back into this about two months ago after not having a single thought about models for years. But since then all I can think about is what I'm going to build next. Very strange. :-)

Orffer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hi

I think what you have here, is a nice clean build. You could keep the model as is, and try weathering effects on the next one that you build. That way, should your weathering not go as planned, you did not ruin all your hard work...

OR

You could to a pin wash to selectively highlight panel lines, but the choice is totally up to you!

my 2 cents worth.

Anyway, if you hang around this website, you are bound to find inspiration for the next model!

Regards

Dieter
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You could to a pin wash to selectively highlight panel lines, but the choice is totally up to you!

Thanks for that. I guess I could practice on some other models and return to this one later, it's just that I really like this plane. I'll defintely have a better look around this forum.
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
Grant

Nice clean build of one of my favourite aircraft, and all the better for one so recently return ed to this great hobby.

Welcome to the best site around - there is plenty of great information here no matter which genre you prefer to follow.

The only "problem" is that you get so hooked here you forget to do any modelling. :-)

Leave the weathering to the next one - then in a few years time when you look back at your models you will be able to pick your progression in skills. (That is sort of what I can do - I try something new on each model I do)

Brian
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC
Hi Grant!

I would follow Dieter's advice and don't try to weather this particular model. I needed 5 years to know how to weather an aircraft with a satisfiying result and I'm still learning! I made my first "tests" on cheap Smer or Airfix kits. Once you will feel comfortable with panel-lining and weathering, you will be ready to "update" your model because it has a lot of potential!
I noticed one little thing about the decals on the wings. They silvered despite the gloss coat. It's obvious on the right wing. The best way to avoid silvering with german crosses is to cut away the excess transparent decal before applying them on the model.
As it is, the model looks like an aircraft displayed in a museum... wich is not inevitably a bad thing!

Jean-Luc
EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 05:29 AM UTC
Cheers all. I did have a bit of dificulty with those decals generally.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 06:41 AM UTC
"Incidentally, I only got back into this about two months ago after not having a single thought about models for years. But since then all I can think about is what I'm going to build next. Very strange. "

And half a year later, you'll find 50 boxes in your closet.
It is dangerous.

Nice job, by the way Very clean, very well done.
 _GOTOTOP