Red/White wash colour?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hi all.
Im building the Academy Fw190 D with the red underside with white stripes and was wondering what would be the best colour to use for an oil wash?
Also,Ive pre shaded for the first time and its certainly made a big difference.Should I go for a normal strength wash or will this take away some of the effects of the pre shading?
I have some inprogress pics which I will post when the gallerys back online.
Nige
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 06:28 PM UTC
I would try a medium grey for the wash. You don't want straight black as it would be waaaay too harsh. Brown would probably stain the white stripes too much.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
Hi Greg.
Its a bit of an odd one this isnt it?
Im kind of torn at the moment between a Paynes Gray,which I think will just bring out the panel lines enough without being too harsh against the white stripes,and a very thin wash of Burnt Umber,which is more towards the red end of the spectrum but will perhaps look a bit odd against the white.
Anymore ideas and comments would be welcome.
Has anyone done this particular scheme and what did you use?

Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
I would try an Umber or Dark Siena oil wash. If you first apply a coat of Future over the paint and then the oil wash over, It doesn´t have to interfere with the preshading because the wash will get inside the panel lines only, showing the preshading through the paint work.
When I give the oil wash I apply the oil paint without diluting it. I use a piece of cotton to rub it over the Future coat until it gets in the panel lines and excess is wipped out. For me it works well but if you dicide to do this, give a try in a little piece of the kit to see if you´re happy with the result.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi Nigel

As the others have said, black would be much too strong - and I also think brown would be too rich.

If you go and look at the colour of the grime that builds up on cars in a normal urban environment, you'll probably find it's darkish grey with just hint of brown so it's not totally neutral. I think that would make a good basis for the wash colour - maybe lighten it a tad for "scale-effect".

I hope this helps

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi all.
Merlin.

Quoted Text

If you go and look at the colour of the grime that builds up on cars in a normal urban environment, you'll probably find it's darkish grey with just hint of brown so it's not totally neutral.

Imagine tring to explain to the police that the reason I was loitering around the supermarket car park was researching an oil wash on a FW190 D.
Nige :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi Nige,
A good question, For red on it's own I would normally suggest a shade of brown, and for white, on it's own a light to medium grey. for the 2 colours together then a brownish grey would seem to be the answer (clever these older folk ). Now Paynes grey is a blue grey and might be the right shade for upper surface RLM 74/75 scheme but Davey Grey is a light browney grey (you obviously wasn't listening at MK [youngsters, bah] )
or you could try mixing you own browney grey, but artist oil paints can throw you a few fast balls, because of their make up. If you don't have or don't want the expense of obtaining Davey grey which, as mentioned at MK is a good wash colour for Sky (remember now You could simply mix black and white for a medium grey, which has been mentioned by Greg.
If you are using artist oils, over enamel paints, then you must protect the paints. Klear (Future) is a very good clear coat for this. Use pure turpintine (not Turps substitute) to thin the oils. The Wash shouldn't "defeat" the pre-shading, but should compliment it.
Looking forward to seeing your 190.
Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi all.
Mal.
You just posted the reply in time,I was about to go and do the car park research!

Quoted Text

Now Paynes grey is a blue grey and might be the right shade for upper surface RLM 74/75 scheme but Davey Grey is a light browney grey (you obviously wasn't listening at MK [youngsters, bah] )

Err,,did I say Paynes when I meant Davey??
Ive got both so I'll give old Dave a try when I get to the wash stage.

Quoted Text

(you obviously wasn't listening at MK [youngsters, bah] )

Guess Im not ageing too badly despite my lifestyle then? 41 and still a youngster :-)

Im now using turpentine instead of thinners for my oil washes and they seem to flow a lot better.
The top scheme for my 190 is RLM76 base with on overspray of RLM82 and RLM83.
In my impetuous youth Ive sprayed it all freehand!
Its decal city at the moment.So far Ive put 26 decals on and thats just the fusalage sides.Stencils for ever!
34 decals to go!!
Dont worry,,,the future is klear :)
Would a brownish wash be ok for the top camo?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
LOL! I'd still go look in the car park... remember, the dirt is the same colour all over.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guess Im not ageing too badly despite my lifestyle then? 41 and still a youngster

I'll be 53 soon, so I'm over 10 years your senior :-)

Quoted Text

Would a brownish wash be ok for the top camo?

I usually use a lightish wash for the underside (lighter colours) then darken that colour for the upper surfaces. Not always the case as it depends what the upper and lower colours are. Davey grey would work on the undersides and on the sides of the fuselage to where the main upper surface camo clours begin. I would add something like burnt umber to the davey grey for the main 82/83 upper surface camo. Davey Grey on it's own, on darker colours, looks odd because it is quite light. It would probably look good on some colours though.
Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thankyou to the more senior members for their help
Tried to reply once and it dissapeared into cyber space so appologies if this is a repeat post of sorts.
The underside of the 190 now looks as though it could be part of the display team build.
Finally finished applying decals at 1am after about 7 hours
This 190 has been great fun so far and certainly a kit of firsts for me.I'll detail these when I post pics of the finished article in a few days,gallery maintenance permitting
Nige
 _GOTOTOP