Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hanger is Finished!
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 07:55 AM UTC
Here are some pictures of the aircraft hanger I finished Sunday.

Matrixone
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
That's awsome Les!
The little touches are what makes the hanger so great. The bicycle, the signs inside the hanger, etc.

Here are some requests from me. These are not advice or tips, just requests of something I'd like to do someday, but thought you might be interrested in trying them.
1. A chain hoist somewhere in the hanger either installing an engine or supporting an airplane tail section.
2. Perhaps a partially dismantled engine in a stand with some tools or toolbox near by.
3. A 109 with severe battle damage being repaired.
4. Maybe an overturned oil drum next to one or all of these things with some oil spilled out.

Again, these are things I'd like to do someday when my skills improve, but someone like yourself could probably pull it off without much trouble. Your pictures and work fill me with ideas and I appreciate you taking the time to post them.

Thanks,
Hermon
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks Hermon!

The hanger is finished but I am still building things to add to the inside of it, already built but not yet painted is a work platform with some shelves and a work bench to be built soon.

More pics...

Matrixone
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hi Les!

Great pictures as usual!

Do you plan to weather the hangar? I would add a wash here and there, especially where the hangar meets the ground. I would also consider hanging down some lights from the roof sturcture...
The building seems pretty big, I wonder what size it would have in 1/48 scale?

Jean-Luc
Longbow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:30 PM UTC
That looks awsom
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:47 PM UTC
Superb Les, looks real in the black and white pics and awsome in colour, great stuff.
Mal
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC
Wow superb job on the hangar. If you just left the black and white photo there, it would have been hard to tell it apart from the real thing.

What materials did you use for it? Did you take any progress shots when it was still in progress?
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:47 PM UTC
Great Hangar! I'm very impressed!!!

Are you going to keep it "as is" or are you gong to use it as a "doll house", changing the planes and persons?

One thought about the photos: The faded colour photos (especially the top one of your second post) are great and gives a great sence of reality!!! I'm not a big fan of the black and white (or sepia brown) ones, though. When looking at photos of the era, one is often struck by the crispness of such photos. Making them to blury and damaged does not - in my opinion - add to the appreciation of the model(s), nor to the sense of reality.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
Great Hanger, was it scratch built?
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:21 AM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc, Longbow, Mal, Jeremy, PolarBear, and Johnny!

Jean-Luc,
I won't be adding any more weathering to this hanger, I will save that for the next one which will have its roof partly blown off from a fighterbomber attack.

Jeremy and Johnny,
This hanger is made from a kit from Faller.

PolarBear,
I built this hanger to be used as a prop for my model pictures so I will ''doll house'' it so I can use it with many different models.
Most pictures I have seen of WWII German a/c are in black and white and many of those photos are blurry sometimes with dirt, hair, and sometimes even scratches on the photo negative. I try to copy those same type of defects in pictures of my models, sometimes it looks good and sometimes not so good but I learn new things each time I attempt to age the pictures of my models, I figure in two years time I might be able to make images so realistic looking they could pass for the real thing.

Two more pics...

Matrixone
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most pictures I have seen of WWII German a/c are in black and white and many of those photos are blurry sometimes with dirt, hair, and sometimes even scratches on the photo negative.

Hi Les!

Maybe these two pictures can help you a little?

The first one is a He111 somewhere in Russia and on the second one you can see French Breguet Bizerte floatplanes with Luftwaffe markings around 1941.
These two photographs are real ones I got from a German Friend. I have about ten such pictures and all I can tell you is that they are usually very sharp. But the pictures in general are also very small in size. Once scanned and magnified, they can look blurry. Some have Sepia shades (He 111) while others are Black & White (Breguets).
Hope this helped you a little too achieve the best Fake Luftwaffe Pictures of the world! :-) Tell me if you want some more...

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
Jean-Luc wrote:

Quoted Text

Maybe these two pictures can help you a little?

Even though they are damaged, I still think they have a crispness that is very hard to acheive by editing regular digital photos. My knowledge of photography is quite limited, but the old photos (where silver is used) has somewhat of a unique look that is really difficult to replicate in the computer.

Don't get med wrong. Les' pictures are really good, and with more practice (two years!!!) they will become increasingly realistic! - In contrast, I think the faded colour photos already looks just like the real thing!!!

Cheers!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Dear Santa/Les.
I have been a very good boy this year and for Christmas I would like a hanger for my Spitifre in 1/24
#:-)
Seriously.,,,, Very impressive work there.Looking forward to seeing one of your pics in a Luftwaffe book as "previously unpublished". :-)
Do you only build Luftwaffe subjects?
Nige
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc, Polar Bear, and Nigel!

Jean-Luc,
Thanks so much for sharing those pictures, I always have enjoyed looking at pictures of 1940's era aircraft and if you don't mind I would like to see your other pictures.

Polar Bear,
I was looking through my new book by JaPo ''Focke-Wulf Fw 190D Camouflage & Markings Vol.1'' and almost half the pictures in that book the pictures are slightly blurred. What I found interesting was some of the same aircraft in that book are photographed by different photographers at different times with the result being quite a range of picture quality, some pictures were blurred and some were clear and sharp.
I may never get my pictures to look as good as the real thing but at least its fun to try and thats the whole point of this hobby....fun!

Nigel,
Luftwaffe a/c are my choice for modeling subjects, they are a lot of fun to paint and often have interesting camouflage colors.

This next picture is of the back wall of the hanger, notice the special ''tree'' camouflage pattern. I was trying to copy the camouflage pattern seen on a hanger pictured on page 11 of ''Wings of the Black Cross No.3''

Matrixone
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC
Les, Great work. Wow! The hangar really adds to your already amazing pictures. Mind if I ask how big the kit is, where you got it, and what it tends to run in price? It is amazing and I'm curious about the kit.
Thanks,
Leon
Crackshot53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:27 PM UTC
Holy god!

that's excellent!
Panzercmdr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Holy cow. That is impresive You did an awsom job :-) :-)
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
Thanks newtothegame, Roger, and Panzercmdr!

newtothegame,
The hanger is about 2ft x 2ft, I bought my kit from Walthers and it was over $100.
I want to build another hanger and build it in a damaged condition with the roof partly blown off and bullet holes in the walls as if it was attacked from fighter-bombers.

The last Walthers catalog did not have the hanger kit listed so I don't know if its out of production or out of stock.

Matrixone
 _GOTOTOP