Bf109 sand filter scratch building advice
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi all
I am going to be building a Matchbox 1/32nd Bf109 for the Duel in the Sky campaign. I am making it into a tropical / Africa fighter. But if I am going to do that, then I would like to make it a little more authentic and add the sand filter on the air inlet. That I would have to scratch build since nothing like that is included in this kit.
I would appreciate any tips that could help me out with this if anyone out there has done this before. Plus some good up close pics of the filter etc. etc... Any help will be appreciated

Thanks everyone and good modeling,
Wayne
markm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 05:48 AM UTC
If you have access to FSM, I know that there was a buildup article that showed the scratch building of the same type of filter.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hi Wayne!

You could also hope someone has a spare filter from Hasegawa's 1/32 Bf 109 kit (part 35). I thought I had one in my spare box but unfortunately I must have used it to scratchbuild something... that's too bad!

Here's a drawing of the filter:

You can notice the front opening was operated with a small wire. The shape of the filter is rather squarish and should be easy to build out of plasticard. The grey area are the filters grid so they should be textured.

Jean-Luc
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys,
Mark, would you happen to know what issue of FSM that article was in? I would look into possibly seeing about finding a back issue somewhere.

Thanks for the drawing Jean-luc and for looking in your spare parts for me. That would have been excellent if you still had one laying around.

Thanks again,
Wayne
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:24 AM UTC
Wayne

April 2006 issue of FSM pages 28 - 32. The build relates to a 1/24 scale 109. there are a couple of photos of the filter and a brief description of how it was constructed. Altogether there should be enough info there for you.

On the Duel in the Sky front - my Tomahawk IIB (1/32 Trumpeter) will be from early December 1941. AN336 code N was flown by Nicky Barr on 12 & 13 December. He claimed a Bf110 on the 12th and a Bf109 and Ju88 on the 13th. The frame was transferred to 112 squadron RAF on 17 December when 3 squadron RAAF changed to Kittyhawks.

Looking forward to 1 June and the start of this "Duel"

Brian
 _GOTOTOP