Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Salamander Q: Which is Better?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC
Seeing Merlin's review about the new DML He-162 Salamander Mistel, and I just saw the incoming Tamiya He-162 Salamander, now I'm confused on what to get! I don't mind having the Mistel, but which of the two manufacturers have the better Salamander? One of my friends told me that the old DML (1990's) Salamander has a bad fitting on the fuselage/wing joints. Had this been corrected in the new DML Salamander Mistel?

Thanks!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi Ralph

Since writing the review, I've read elsewhere about the tricky fit of the wings on the ex-TriMaster He 162. I've taken a closer look and found the fit differs very slightly between the left and right wings. One my sample I can't really complain about either - but this is the "bad" one:

I haven't had a chance to examine the Tamiya kit yet (mine is included with some pre-orders of other things from HLJ - so I won't see it for a while yet...), but I think it's safe to predict the kit's fit will be spot-on and the new kit should be easier to build overall.

Interestingly, there are rumours that the shape of the forward fuselage and fins is quite different on the Tamiya kit - but I haven't heard yet which is more accurate. I took some photos of the real thing at Hendon last week ready for a Walkaround so people can decide for themselves.

Lastly, when chosing a Salamander, remember that Dragon's version is only available (at the moment) as part of the Mistel combination.

I hope this helps

Rowan
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:09 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan! Yes, The DML has the Mistel included, but based on your review, one can make the Salamander alone right? Leaving the Me-262 with lotsa options.

How bad was the fit? Can it be easily remedied?

I too am waiting for both kits on my shelves. My LHS informed me that the Tamiya one is coming in a few weeks, while no confirmation on the Salamander Mistel.
 _GOTOTOP