_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
My Suez Campaign entry
Mahross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 05:13 PM UTC
I mentioned I was doing a flat so here it is. This flat is produced by Western Miniatures and is an interesting development of the genre. This is a P-51D Mustang. Western Miniatures has got a growing range of these and they are great and an interesting challenge. Here it is being prepared.

It is going to be finished in the markings of 116 Sqn. It will be finished in Pale Sand/Slate Blue over, Pale Grey under, invasion strips on the rear fuselage and the wings, white serials on the rear fuselage.

Comments?

Ross
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi Ross.
Tell me more about these "flats" as its something new to me.Any special challenges involved in getting a 3d effect?
Nige
Mahross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 02:02 PM UTC
Nige,

Flats originate in germany where they are called Zinnfiguren. They are engraved in slate and then cast in metal. An art form in itself. When painting them you have to think of them very m,uch like a 2D canvas. So more than in other other aspects of the hobby you need to think about light source and where shadows fall etc. For this I will be to some extent copy the artwork shown above as the graphic artist who has done it has done a great job and show what need to be where. I have a few more in my collection includion a Typhoon and FW-190.

Ross
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC
Ross, that is very cool looking. I eagerly await more progess to see how these 'flats' turn out.
Leon
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:47 AM UTC
Great idea Ross. I went to the MFCA show this year and they had a number of these on display but they were scenes of people, they had a very 3D appearance to them for being so flat. Love the paint scheme you'll be using, looking forward to seeing it done, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP