Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Kommodore Under Cover
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi. Just wanted to post some pics of an old dio that was done last year. It features the 1/48 scale Tamiya FW 190 A-3. It was built out of the box with ModelMaster paints and Aeromaster decals.The pilot figure is made up of legs and torso from two Verlinden figures and the "blackman" is a Verlinden figure also. The camo netting is some old guaze I had laying around that was painted in shades of green and then attached to bamboo skewers The crates and barrels are resin items from Verlinden. The hardstand was made with basswood strips cut to size and stained with a wood stain and attached to the base with white glue.. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hi Wingman!

That's a great looking diorama! This is the kind of thing I aim at currently

The Fw 190 is superb too and the figures seem nicely done. I have one complaint: there are no detail pics and no overall (from the top) shots! As I'm currently using a new product for the wooden base in a project of mine, I would love to compare it with what you did.
A question to finish: what did you use for the netting? I wan't to include some in the diorama I'm currently doing...

Jean-Luc
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Wingman!

That's a great looking diorama! This is the kind of thing I aim at currently

The Fw 190 is superb too and the figures seem nicely done. I have one complaint: there are no detail pics and no overall (from the top) shots! As I'm currently using a new product for the wooden base in a project of mine, I would love to compare it with what you did.
A question to finish: what did you use for the netting? I wan't to include some in the diorama I'm currently doing...

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc. I'll try to get some detail shots soon, meanwhile, here are some pics of the gauze that I used for the camo netting. It's just your basic gauze bandage that comes in a roll. You can probably pick some up in a drug store or supermarket in the bandaid section. This roll has layers to it so I unfolded it to make it thinner. . Verlinden makes camo netting if you would be interested in that. I had this laying around for years when I was burned back in '96. Hope this helps, I'll get on those detail shots, thanks for the kind words and for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi again Jean-Luc. Here are some quick detail shots. The base was made form exterior foam insulation[the pink stuff you see on the sides of houses before they put up the siding]. Don't use rubber cement on this material, it will melt it. The basswood planks were laid down first and then real dirt and Verlinden static grass was laid down on top of diluted white glue. Hope this helps, Wingman out.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
Awesome work matey!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hi Wingman!

Thanks for the advice about the gauze bandage. It's very effective! What did you use to color it?
And thanks as well for the detail shots. I think I will steal some ideas for the "Luftwaffe diorama" I'm currently building!

Jean-Luc
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Wingman!

Thanks for the advice about the gauze bandage. It's very effective! What did you use to color it?
And thanks as well for the detail shots. I think I will steal some ideas for the "Luftwaffe diorama" I'm currently building!

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc. No problem. I used different shades of dark green to give it some color. I'm sure your dio will turn out very nice. I like how you have it at an angle, are you thinking of putting some camo netting over it? Keep up the nice work, Wingman out.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

are you thinking of putting some camo netting over it?

Hi Wingman!

I think I'll add some. But not over the model, just on the sides. That was my first plan, but I can still change my mind depending on the comments I get in the thread...

Jean-Luc
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 01:24 AM UTC
Wow, great stuff wingman. Seems like I might need to take a trip to the drug store soon...
Leon
 _GOTOTOP