Hosted by Rowan Baylis
HiPM Arado 196
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC
I don't think I've built more than 2 airplane kits in the past 3 years, but dug this one out of the stash. Seems to require a lot of flash cleanup, and I'm only on step 2. Any other problems to prepare myself for. Not looking to do a show model here just a good clean OOB
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 02:54 PM UTC
Well after a few days of working on it, I see why no one responded. The kit was absolute garbage. Nothing and I do mean nothing fit right. I had gaps in just about everything big enough to drop coins through. Realized there was nothing to hold the wings on except a big wad of glue, and we know what that leads to. So in order to save using lots of putty and styrene and a whole tube of glue, I just junked the kit. I guess this will keep me from building another airplane kit for a long long time.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Be glad you do not have the MPM kit .... mine rests in the stash half build for some years now .. it just did not fit my abilities then (and I am not sure if I am that far now)

Just put it away build a Tamiya and then reconsider if you need a Ar 196 in your collection ...

If yes, maybe start with the "Slipwagen" (I do not know the english term for the landing thingie with wheels)

best wishes

Steffen
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC
Yep, I'd have to agree, dont let HiPM put you off aircraft models - just build a Tamiya or Hasegawa their is enough variety within their ranges and they go together like a dream (usually :-) ).

I hadn't built an aircraft kit for several years and then I built the Revell Bf109G-10 - not a great kit either but no huge build problems. Next I built a Tamiya Fw190F-8 and I havn't looked back since........

Lee
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Sorry to hear you had such a miserable experience with the Arado, but you really picked a difficult kit to get back into aircraft modelling with. It's a short-run kit aimed at experienced modellers and the fact that it's a good few years old doesn't help - the standards in short-run production have risen considerably since it was released.

So I'd agree with Lee - build a modern release by one of the majors to remind yourself what fun aircraft modelling can be. What else have you got in that stash? - there could be some other kits that you might want to wait a while before tackling...

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP