_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F4J Phantom. Comments please
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC
This is a Monogram 1/48 Scale kit which was boxed in 1985 and I got from Ebay. The model is based on the aircraft from Navy Squadron VF-96 which opearated from the USS Constellation during Vietnam. This aircraft was flown by Lts Cunnigham and Driscoll on May 10 1972 when they shot down 3 Mig-17's in one mission making them the first and only aces of Vietnam.

The decals that came with the model went on very well. However I did have to paint on the black areas on the forward edges and running along the fusalage as there were no decals for these markings which were shown on the box.

I also had a go at making the inside of the engine exhaust as there was no detail inside. I know it is a bit unrealistic but it is much better than no detail at all. I used cut solder wire to make the circle and straight wire glued into a flat plastic sheet.

I had a go at weathering this model with chalk pastels and it came out ok I think. The only real cock up I made which the eagle eyed may spot was with the canopy. Having masked it off and painted it I glued the rear section on and forgot to get rid of my fingerprints from inside. Close up this has really spoiled the plane. But we live and learn.

Thanks for looking and please feel free to critise or commend. I don't care I just like reading the replies.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC
Howdy Chris, and "Good Mornin' " to ya

Mighty nice DUFF ya got there Chris. Kinda like the mountains of Colorado, I never get tired of looking at another The Phantom was the first bird I ever worked on, so I must admit to at least a little personal indulgence here, but the fact remains, you built a nice example with your 'J' model. I've built my share of Phantoms {mostly 'D' models} and have been recently thinking about doing one again {it's been awhile}, but I think if I take on the project I'll do it in the massive 1/32nd scale this time {these old eyes and all }.
I can't see your mentioned fingerprints {again, the 'eyes'}, but then again, I used to model mine with the canopies in the 'open' position...{ so, I guess I could have gently reached in and wiped them away.....at least theoretically}. Your scratchbuilt interior detail on the twin whistles is well done considering that's pretty much what they looked like {if memory serves}. And your chalk pastel application looks 'right'......so, bloody good on ya Chris, keep up the good work!

Tread.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 06:46 PM UTC
Aaaahhh Showtime 100.....I never get tired to watch USN or any other Phantom for that matter.... Always makes me think of USS Coral Sea CV-43 and her two colourful Phantom squadrons VF-51 Screaming Eagles and their supersonic can opener and VF-111 Sundowners, THE two most colourful paintjobs on ANY Phantom...
Awesome work there Chris! How was the kit to build??
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments so far. The kit was fairly easy to build. It went together really well with only a bit of filling needed on the underside of the wings where they angle up. The only problem I had was again with the rear canopy which was about 1mm too short. But easily fixed with a bit of plastic cut to shape. The cockpit was well detailed especially the ejection seats which I find more and more are not very good on newer OOB kits.
All in all a nice model to build and a good learning experiance for me.
Keep the feed back coming
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC
"... THE two most colourful paintjobs on ANY Phantom..."

Now, hold your horses there my wee, kilt-wearing friend.....surely you must be forgetting the ever entertaining all black, Playboy Bunny Phantom, complete with the shocking white Bunny in the vertical stabilizer......right?

.......surely.

Tread
 _GOTOTOP