_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Rotary Wing or Helicopter catagory?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Since the site was broken down into various sub-catagories, how about a catagory for helos. There seems to be enough traffic to support it and I know I would prefer to have one place to post helo topics, as oppose to sorting them by years. Especially since so many helos span many of the above year breakdowns. Any further thoughts??
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
Might be worth a shot, although I'd expand to include autogyros which do span "Early" to "WW2" ...

What about the V22 Osprey ?

John
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:42 AM UTC
I'm with you on this one Gino, over the years the articles, features and posts seem to fad away only to be forgoten. I would also think that if we had Helicopter catagory that's in the open, we would draw in more members and many of the other Helo Heads from the other sites. Good call....

Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
I agree Joe. I would include autogyros and the V-22 as rotary wing aircraft. Any of the other hybrid V-22 type aircraft as well. Basically anything that flies using rotors in some shape or form.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hi "Helo" guys!

I would support the idea of a "Rotary Wing" or "Rotor" category. I think it should cover all eras though! With the talented helicopter builders we have here, there is indeed a good reason to have a dedicated place for them...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi all

A Helicopters category was among my original line-up for the new Forum, but Staff_Jim has pointed out that it doesn't fit easily with the era categories and national subcategories; i.e. say I wanted to start a thread about an Apache, would I post under Modern USA or Helicopters USA? I can see his point of view - and it's more proof of how tricky it is to set up a framework that successfully meets the demands of everyone.

As usual, Jim has to perform a balancing act between covering every conceivable interest and keeping the forum simple and easy to navigate.

All the best

Rowan
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

A Helicopters category was among my original line-up for the new Forum, but Staff_Jim has pointed out that it doesn't fit easily with the era categories and national subcategories; i.e. say I wanted to start a thread about an Apache, would I post under Modern USA or Helicopters USA? I can see his point of view - and it's more proof of how tricky it is to set up a framework that successfully meets the demands of everyone.

As usual, Jim has to perform a balancing act between covering every conceivable interest and keeping the forum simple and easy to navigate.

All the best

Rowan

Why not just Helicopters plain and simple? Like the WWI, WWII and others...
If you had a question about the Huey, then you'd just post it under Helicopters.
If it was about the Swedish Airforce or the Marine Huey wouldn't matter.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hi All!

A Rotary-Wing category would be great!

I´m a big chopper-fan myself, but we are quite few compared to the rest of the aircrafts categories.

So one category would be enough for this, no matter the timeframe or nationality.

Just my thoughts on this!

Cheers!

Stefan E
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:21 PM UTC
I could certainly support a helicopters category. Its a topic on its own that has a lot of interest.

It should be an exception however, and not the start of many cateogroies for e.g; jet fighters, navy airplanes, ...
Or, in general, if we have to many categories then it makes no sense anymore but then again, helicopters would be a nice exception.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but Staff_Jim has pointed out that it doesn't fit easily with the era categories and national subcategories

I am just advocating a plain Rotary Wing catagory. No years or nationalities attached to it. One place to put all helo-related posts and make them easy to find. Right now, they will be spread all over the place across all catagories, making them impossible to find and they will be quickly lost as other topics bounce them down the page. Just my thoughts. I think it would be much easier than it currently is set up.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC
All in favour raise your hands....
lavgnr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 07:46 PM UTC
Aye
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
I am a bit confused by this topic. We have had a Rotary Wing group in the Aircraft forum (now General Aircraft) for over a year.

Rotary Wing

By category do you mean a separate forum all by itself? Why would that be better than being able to view them all in one place or alternately with the other General Aircraft posts? I am not saying it wouldn't I just want feedback.

The only reason I can think of why many of you would not know we had such a group is:

1. You always use the Latest Posts page (which only displays the main forum name and not the group a topic is in) and/or...

2. When you started a new topic you didn't notice the Rotary Wing group because you didn't select a group from the Aircraft pulldown.

So I am guessing I need to fix those interface problems. I probably need to go back to my original code design and force users to select a group when creating a new topic.

Cheers,
Jim
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC
Jim,
I know there has been a Rotary Wing sub-category under the General Aviation foum for a long time, I have used it often. I guess I should have said a Rotary Wing Forum then. It seems easier to me to have a seperate forum so the posts are all in the same place, as opposed to having to look in each sub-forum and then select the Rotarty Wing category to see all Rotary Wing topics. Also, as you said, that only works if people select the RW category when posting. Guess it is just more conducive to finding them easier if they are in their own forum as opposed to spread across all the other new year/conflict grouped aircraft forums.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC
O.K., guess I'll just have to keep burying them in the General Aviation Forum.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC
I'm the proponent of small # of forums, but think this might be a useful split.

The problem with the General Aviation forum is the definition of "This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions." suggests modelling but not real world, etc, as do the defined forums -- it's not natural to look there for rotary wing.

The rotary wing forum on ARC is small, but dedicated, I think we'd find the same here ...

Might be worth a try ...

John
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:37 PM UTC
Any chance we could be getting this forum in place. I know it would be supported and interesting. Check out the interest in the Guardian Angel Helo Campaign.
bounce19712
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:13 PM UTC
hello all,

. on retail hobby websites...Helicopters is usually it's own category

. on aviation photo websites...helicopters have their own category

I vote yes...to give the egg beater builders their own category and keep their nuisance posts away from where the real model building occurs.

hehehe

B
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi guys

Jim and I discussed the Helos forum just last weekend and it's all set to go!

All the best

Rowan
Busybeas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any chance we could be getting this forum in place. I know it would be supported and interesting. Check out the interest in the Guardian Angel Helo Campaign.

I agree , a dedicated Helicopter / Rotary Wing forum would be fab
A general heading, I feel would be ideal rather than sectionalised.

I think helos (to helo fans) have a general interest, regardless of type, genre/ type etc,,

Stevie B
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:52 AM UTC
Ask and ye shall receive!!!

Thans Rowan. Now we jus need to populate it and move teh previous helo posts there. Great job.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ask and ye shall receive!!!

Thans Rowan. Now we jus need to populate it and move teh previous helo posts there. Great job.

Hi Gino

LOL! You've got a new home and already you're asking for furniture and pictures on the walls!

I've shunted across all I can until I get access to the "USA" sub-cat - there are still a fair few threads to move, but what you've got should make the new place feel lived in.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP