_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
F-86D Dog Sabre
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
This is the Monogram Pro Modeller series 1/48 F-86D Dog Sabre.
Built OOB and painted in Alclad 2 polished aluminium, with the nose painted with Xtracrylixs Night black and Tamiya olive drab for the anti glare.
A very subtle pin wash of Payne's Grey oils for the weathering.
An absolute joy to build with no major problems. If you see one, buy it.
The tractor and bomb trolley come with the kit.
The only downside of this kit was about 150 stencils that had to go on, and took me three days :-) .
Comments welcome.
Andy

Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:56 AM UTC
The whole job certainly looks very nice.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hi Andy!

A very nice Sabre-dog!

Well done!

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:33 PM UTC
Wow, that is a nice one. Very nice metallic finish.

Cool that accessories are included in the box. I wish that would be the case with more companies.
tausugAIR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hi, Andy :

Please, can you rtell me where I can get (via mail) a copy of the Dog Sabre? I've abeen searching for it , here in my country and USA (Great Model Webstore) but to no avail. I'd like to model it in Philippine Air Force (I don't knbow how to attach photo otherwise I could have shown the image of the subject.).. Looking forward to your help...

Thanks and besdts regards....

Sincerely,

Muhammad Farouk (IPMS-Philippines Bert Anidol Chapter)

P.S. - Anyhone can guide me on attasching photos- I find the insftruction a bit confusing......

Quoted Text

This is the Monogram Pro Modeller series 1/48 F-86D Dog Sabre.
Built OOB and painted in Alclad 2 polished aluminium, with the nose painted with Xtracrylixs Night black and Tamiya olive drab for the anti glare.
A very subtle pin wash of Payne's Grey oils for the weathering.
An absolute joy to build with no major problems. If you see one, buy it.
The tractor and bomb trolley come with the kit.
The only downside of this kit was about 150 stencils that had to go on, and took me three days :-) .
Comments welcome.
Andy

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments guys .
Muhammad
The kit is fairly rare as it is now out of production, your best bet for picking one up is on E/bay. That is where i found this one, they seem to pop up every now and again.
For posting pics -
1- Click on [ img ]
2- you get - [ img ]http: //put.url. here/image. file[/img]
3- copy and delete - http: //put.url. here/image. file
4- your left with - [ img ][ img ]
5- inbetween the ][ copy and paste the pics address(URL),( left click on the pic, right click on properties, copy and paste address (URL).)
6- now you should have - [ img ]http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/17075/Betheyn020.jpg[ /img ] . (i have added a couple of spaces either side "img" so it will fail to work, so i can show you what it will look like before you submit your post.
Hope that helps, probably an easier way of doing it, but that's the way i do it :-) .
Andy
Removed by original poster on 11/13/06 - 18:48:13 (GMT).
tausugAIR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hi, Andy:

Thanks for the reply and the guidancez.. But, woe to me I can't gfet the image pasted on my post so you canview the intended PhAF F-86D subject...... I'll start visiting E-Bay. I pray I may nchance a copy in coming months..... Bests regards . Sincerely...

Muhammad
tausugAIR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hi, Andy:

Thanks for the reply and the guidancez.. But, woe to me I can't gfet the image pasted on my post so you canview the intended PhAF F-86D subject...... I'll start visiting E-Bay. I pray I may nchance a copy in coming months..... Bests regards . Sincerely...

Muhammad

Hi, Andy.... finally with persistence I got the image pasted... This is a shot of the F-86D model of one the members of IPMS-Philippines. The modeler, I was told, was a also the pilot of the prototype when it in PhAF service in late 60's to mid 70's.... Regards...

Muhammad
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi Andy... That is one fine looking Sabre Dog !!! Thanks for sharing it.

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:44 PM UTC
Glad to see you got the pic posted Muhammad.
Great looking model. Did he print the decals off himself, as i haven't seen a lot of other nations markings printed for the F-86D before?
Thanks Penny. The pleasure is in the sharing .
Andy
tausugAIR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hi, Andy .. I believed this was home-made for the modeler-former pilot by another modeler. This is almost always a trend when modeler Philippine Air Force (PhAF) themed military aircreaft. Home-made decals... I've just completed several PhAF decals for F-86F (25&30), F-5A, SIAI S-211... On the drawiang is a BN-Islander marking for the Philippine Navy's Naval Air Group...These are all 48th scale but easily convertible to 72...I'd like to send you copy of decals if you would allow me access to yoiur e-mail...

I've found a copy of the Dog Sabre aqt E-Bay and I bidded for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossxed that I get it...Thanks for the tip....

Best regards.....and Salaam

Muhammad

P.S. - Andy, here's one of my earlier studies on PhAF decals for an F-86D doing a "museum duty" (photo from T. Feredo). I stop further develoipment of the decals as a fellow modeler an authority on PhAF marked aircraft have concluded tsaid masrking/s as "spurious"... I tend to agree as I saw this on several (earlier) occassion of sporting a now invisible "shark-mouth"... This is but to show the widespread service of the the Dog Sabre....

quote]Glad to see you got the pic posted Muhammad.
Great looking model. Did he print the decals off himself, as i haven't seen a lot of other nations markings printed for the F-86D before?
Thanks Penny. The pleasure is in the sharing .
Andy [/quote]
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
IHi Andy:

Wow ! This one looks great Really a very nice model.
I don´t build jets only WW2 props AC, but I have in my stash a couple of Sabres (not this one) waiting to be build some day. Looking at this one I believe that day is not so far away.
The airstrip looks very realistic.
Congratulations.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 11:55 PM UTC
Thanks Carlos.
There is something about NMF aircraft, can be hard work to get a good finish, but when completed they look so nice.
My runway is my generic base i use to photo my models on ( i have a grass one too :-) ), and has had everything from W.W.2 Japanese planes to Cold war aircraft parked on it :-) .

Quoted Text

Home-made decals... I've just completed several PhAF decals for F-86F (25&30), F-5A, SIAI S-211... On the drawiang is a BN-Islander marking for the Philippine Navy's Naval Air Group...These are all 48th scale but easily convertible to 72...I'd like to send you copy of decals if you would allow me access to yoiur e-mail...

I've found a copy of the Dog Sabre aqt E-Bay and I bidded for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossxed that I get it...Thanks for the tip....

Hi Muhammad,
I would love a set of decals, thank you. If you click on my profile you should see my e/mail address on it. If not P.M me and I'll send it to you.
Hope you got your F-86 off E/bay. I think i might see if i can find another.
Andy
Mahross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hi Andy

That is a nice Sabre. You have got a thing for them haven't you Where did you get the tractor from?

Ross
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:38 AM UTC
Great looking build Andy.....
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 07:32 AM UTC
Great looking build! I've been enamored with these for years. As a young'un, always got a kick out seeing the one they have outside the local VFW club. Except it's painted some funky light blue...

- Frank
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
Looks absolutely great Andy. A really nice job. Now I will definitely keep my eyes open for that kit and hope that someday one falls into my lap. Thanks for sharing your work.
Leon
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
It certainly is a spectacular "Mig",,( in joke :-) ),,and Im happy to say it looks even better up close and personal!
I really must try my hand at something with a jet engine soon now Ive got a couple in my stash.
Nice one Andy!
Nige
Removed by original poster on 12/05/06 - 23:15:22 (GMT).
tausugAIR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC

Andy, I got the ProModel I bidded in EBay. Above is a Hi-Decal decal sheet containing a Philippine Air Force F-86D subject. It belonged to the 8th Fighter Squadron, 5 Ftr Wing, in service from 1958 to 1970...which during the cold war did sky sentry duty guarding the northern approaches of the Philippines against the Soviet (ie, duty in conjunction with the American Clark Airbase roosted aircraft). Iim intending of spciing it up a bit by modeling the Suadron CO's personal mount....

Thanks for the suggestion on eBay!!! I'll get to you on E-Mail regarding the PhAF HOMEBREWED decal images.....Best regrds

Quoted Text

Thanks Carlos.
There is something about NMF aircraft, can be hard work to get a good finish, but when completed they look so nice.
My runway is my generic base i use to photo my models on ( i have a grass one too :-) ), and has had everything from W.W.2 Japanese planes to Cold war aircraft parked on it :-) .

Quoted Text

Home-made decals... I've just completed several PhAF decals for F-86F (25&30), F-5A, SIAI S-211... On the drawiang is a BN-Islander marking for the Philippine Navy's Naval Air Group...These are all 48th scale but easily convertible to 72...I'd like to send you copy of decals if you would allow me access to yoiur e-mail...

Hi Muhammad,
I would love a set of decals, thank you. If you click on my profile you should see my e/mail address on it. If not P.M me and I'll send it to you.
Hope you got your F-86 off E/bay. I think i might see if i can find another.
Andy

betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy

That is a nice Sabre. You have got a thing for them haven't you Where did you get the tractor from?

Ross

Thanks Ross. Eerrr, i might have as i have 5 Sabres in my stash :-). The tractor and the bomb trolley came with the kit.

Quoted Text

Great looking build

Thanks Jan, Frank and Leon.

Quoted Text

I really must try my hand at something with a jet engine soon now Ive got a couple in my stash.

There are some nice 1/32 "Migs" about Nige :-) .

Quoted Text

Andy, I got the ProModel I bidded in EBay. Above is a Hi-Decal decal sheet containing a Philippine Air Force F-86D subject. It belonged to the 8th Fighter Squadron, 5 Ftr Wing, in service from 1958 to 1970...which during the cold war did sky sentry duty guarding the northern approaches of the Philippines against the Soviet (ie, duty in conjunction with the American Clark Airbase roosted aircraft). Iim intending of spciing it up a bit by modeling the Suadron CO's personal mount....

Thanks for the suggestion on eBay!!! I'll get to you on E-Mail regarding the PhAF HOMEBREWED decal images.....Best regrds

Thanks Muhammad.
That looks like a nice decal sheet. Is there any sites for PhAF aircraft profiles ( i mostly use Wings pallete to find mine) ?
While searching through some profiles i also noticed that the PhAF also used the F-86 E Sabre. What a coincidence that i have one of them in my stash too :-) . I think i might delve a bit deeper to see what else the PhAF flew.
I have picked up another F-86 D on E/bay, with the intention of making her into a PhAF machine.
Andy
tausugAIR
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:57 PM UTC

Hello, Andy ... Talking about F-86E (F)... Here's one example of PhAF machine and the intially artwork for its decal... I saw machine in the flesh as a school-grader in 1958 in attendance to the off-Military Exercise Display/Show over in Clark Air Base....Said aircraft, flown by then Capt. Florendo Aquino, took first place in Aerial Gunnery during 1958 Four Brothers (USAF, Aust, Phil &Taiwan) Exercie. The pilot IS now an 80+year old retired Brig General... I've not met him yet but I keep in touch with him thru his nephew, also a modeler.... There's no dedicated website catering to PhAF aircraft profiles....And, this is a predicament among PhAF-loving modelers... What is considered as a an authority is a book by the late PhAF Col. Bert Anido..... 50th Anniversary Pictorial History of the Philippine Air Force..."" The book is printed in England....

I see you have a liking to PhAF machine. The F-86D in service with the lone 8th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 5th Fighter Wing, PhAF home based in Basa Air Base (then USAF's Clark's neighbor) carried on tailfin a Winged Bat head on a blue/lightblue round badge.... Glad you got another Dog Sabre from eBay.. can't wait to see you doing it in Philippine Air Force dress....

The winrar file containing the decal images I e-mailed last night ... Best regards and Salaam

Muhammad
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
Hi Guys, Not sure if this is old news but I was in the LHS today and he showed me the Revell catalogue for this year the F86D is being released at the same time as the F105G Thunderchief,should be the last quarter of the year.
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys, Not sure if this is old news but I was in the LHS today and he showed me the Revell catalogue for this year the F86D is being released at the same time as the F105G Thunderchief,should be the last quarter of the year.

Hi John,
The F-86D will be the old Monogram kit. it is a very nice kit with good detailing and recessed panel lines. The Monogram kit also came with a towing tractor and a bomb trolley in it.
The F-105G might be a retooled version of the early F-105 Revell/ Monogram used to do, but I'm not sure.
Andy
 _GOTOTOP