Just Started: Revell 1/72 FW-190 R-11
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 02:21 PM UTC
It has been about a week since I started, so I completed the cockpit:

The thing I was afraid of just happened and the details can not be seen as clear as before, when the cockpit is burried in the plane, but that is ok, I was ready for this :

In fact the canopy of this kit has no option of being made open, as the frames of the canopy aremolded with the body, not the glass part, and the net glass piece is seperate, which results in bad jointing of the glass and the frame. It is also weird to give such good detail in a cockpit and not give the open canopy option... Strange people work in Revell ... I chopped the frame off the body and will be usin the canopy of the Academy A-6/8 kit (thanks to Alobar).

The body, wings, elevators and the cockpit are glued, will be continuing with the filling-sanding process.

Best regards.
Cagin
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hi Cagin

looking good so far !

Do you want to do the Fw 190 A-8/R11 "white 9" of Günther Migge (9 victory ace)? Take care! The "wild boar" emblem should have a white background (IIRC the decals were right but the boxart showed yellow).

best wishes

Steffen
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 02:43 PM UTC
Oh, I did not know that! I will build exactly the plane you mentioned, Steffen. Thanks for the information, I will take care about it and will print a new emblem if I need. I may have to display my model with reference pictures, so would you mind sharing your references, if you have any?

Thanks in advance.
Cagin
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hi Cagin

here is a nice profile from Simon Schatz with further references (click image):

BTW maybe he only had 8 victories .. still an ace :-)

cheers

Steffen

caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Great! Thanks!
Cagin
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi Cagin,

..just remembered that I have a few shots of this particular a/c on my HD - these shots were originally from the collection of Jean-Yves Lorant who knew Migge well.......note the colour demarcation on the pictures differs somewhat from Simon's profile...especially on the nose

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Neil

I think Simon got the camo pretty good (it is just a little more fuzzy on the pic) ... do not take the prop shadow as part of the camo :-) it is visible in your last pic

cheers

Steffen
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi guys, I am not an expert on 190's but are you sure that the bird in the photoes is a A8? The nose part seemed shorter to me. Can it be a A3?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hi Yalym

this is definitely the "long nose" Fw 190 A!!! in the last 2 pix from Neil you can clearly see the extension at the wing root/ fuselage transition.

In the first pic you can presume the bulge on the fuselages MG cover (for the MG 131) ... so it is the variant A-7 or later ...

Conclusion: most probably a Fw 190 A-8 .. .Neil may know exactly where to nail that down

best wishes

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Neil

I think Simon got the camo pretty good (it is just a little more fuzzy on the pic) ... do not take the prop shadow as part of the camo :-) it is visible in your last pic

cheers

Steffen

... the dark grey extends right behind the emblem...and the mottle edge is a little softer...

depending on what/who you believe this is either an A-7 or A-8 ...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... the dark grey extends right behind the emblem...and the mottle edge is a little softer...

depending on what/who you believe this is either an A-7 or A-8 ...

Hi Neil

thanks for your insight ... now i see what you mean .. I was just looking at the full profile and not the details .. you are right .. the 74 goes further forward on the 3rd picture (I already agreed on the mottling)

As for the variant ... I thought you might "see"/know there is a fueller port for the MW50/GM1 tank behind the cockpit ... I do not see 20 cm in a picture (the ETC was moved that far forward on the A-8 according to Rodeike) ... I remember seeing a photo of the right wing .. the pitot position could also be a small indicator for the variant (although that changed during the A-7 production)

best wishes

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 03:34 PM UTC
close up of filler hatch

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 04:38 PM UTC
Great!

Yalym ... you see it is a A-8 :-) :-) (most probably .. as it is some kind of X-plane)

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP