Hosted by Rowan Baylis
ME-262B-1a/u1
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 124 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Ok, next task! Dragon's me-262 two seater, with added Aires slats and Eduard color Pe set. (They didn't have the normal one, so i had to go with pre-painted)

Here is the completed cockpit. I didn't do much extra work here, just wires at the end of the instrument panles are added.

So far so, good. I am working on the wheelbays right now...

Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi gregax!

GREAT looking cockpit - how did you get on with the Eduard set?

I think I may have sold that to you but I have never actually used the colour etched sets myself. Are they simple enough and more importantly are they accurate?

Regards,

Lee
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
Great looking cockpit Gregax!
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi gregax!
GREAT looking cockpit - how did you get on with the Eduard set?
I think I may have sold that to you but I have never actually used the colour etched sets myself. Are they simple enough and more importantly are they accurate?

No, you didn't sell that set to me. But actually, I was pleased with that set. Colors are matching, and they look pretty accurate to me... for that model at least. But that doesn't help me feeling like traitor using already made and finished model part.

gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
Some progress: I finished the wheel wells area. There are some dragon PE parts added, some schratch built parts and added wiring. I hope everything will fit together...

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Wow ! All that detail and paint job is great. The seat belts looks very realistic. Are they aftermarket ? What brand?

How is the kit, did you advance in some test fiting ? I understand that the dificult part of the Dragon Me 262 kits are the undersides joins of the wings with fuselage.

Very nice job. Keep on posting.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 07:46 PM UTC
Stunning work so far. i love the busy look of the wiring! Please keep us posted.
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The seat belts looks very realistic. Are they aftermarket ? What brand?

They are included in the kit. But you have to really heat them up, otherwise they are just too hard to bend.

Quoted Text

How is the kit, did you advance in some test fiting ? I understand that the dificult part of the Dragon Me 262 kits are the undersides joins of the wings with fuselage.

The wings/fuselage fit is ok. The big problem with fit is with the engine gondolas...
terrible. A lot of sanding....

crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
The other problem is with the drop tanks. Since they have a ribbed edge, even the most careful separation from the sprue leaves excess plastic to clean up. This activity destroys the ridge continuity, and is visually very un appealing. I used styrene strips to fill and replace the contour. The nose wheel seems to not index properly on the strut as well. Overall a good model when finished. Your cockpit is outstanding.

Steve
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 02:19 PM UTC
Ok, here we go again. After completing the wheel wells tub, i assembled the fuselage and wings with no major fit problems. After going through some Me-262 books i realized that there should be four cannons in the nose instead of two. So i had to drill them out and made the cannons from syringe needles. I know the top two are sticking out too far out but i can't fix them anymore.
I aslo cut the potrion of the wings for Aires slats. Without any major fit issues. Some filling and cleaning will sort them out.

And when i thought that i will somehow break the curse of Dragon fit problems, it was time to put the engine parts on the wing. Master disaster! It looks like those parts were taken from some other kit. And again, lots of filling, sanding etc, to sort that out. Of course, most of the details are gone, but I hope they won't be seen after i spray the lower wings with black.

gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 04:16 PM UTC
Okay, some minor progress. Here the model is primed with mr. surfacer 1200 and ready for paint work.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC
Hi Gregax!

This will make into another superb model for sure! Good luck with the camouflage painting. But knowing your talent, I'm not anxious at all for you!

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 06:18 PM UTC
It´s turning out fantastic !
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
Looks really great!! I am looking forward to see the final result!
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
Some progress. I've decided to make airplane with Red 8 markings. First i sprayed RLM 82 colour over the wings. Then I masked the front portions of the engine nacelles with RLM 83 as per reference drawings (and asumptions).

After that I masked the wings, preshaded the fuselage and then sprayed RLM 76.

Next, spraying of the mottling with some strange paint effects. You'll see.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:40 PM UTC
Looking great Gregax!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi Gregax!

The model looks fantastic and the quality of the pictures is top class too! Did you already thought about writing a nice feature for Aeroscale?

Jean-Luc

P.S. Don't forget to send us pictures of your MOM winning He 219!
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gregax!

The model looks fantastic and the quality of the pictures is top class too! Did you already thought about writing a nice feature for Aeroscale?

Jean-Luc

Why not. I will have planty of time over xmas holidays. And for those He-219 pisc. Can I send them to you wia E-mail? It would be much more easier that way. Than you just publish them ob Aeroscale.

And now, for the mottling part. Gotta go
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 01:54 PM UTC
The mottling begins!
Over the fuselage, a thin coat of RLM 02 was sprayed (as suggested in some of the books i have), and then the mottle patteren was airbrushed. I used RLM 81 and 82.

Mottling is completed. Note that the part where the slats are inserted is painted wrong. It should be painted in the same color as the wings are, It's fixed already, I just didn't take the photos.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Gregax!

Jean-Luc

Why not. I will have planty of time over xmas holidays. And for those He-219 pisc. Can I send them to you wia E-mail? It would be much more easier that way. Than you just publish them ob Aeroscale.

And now, for the mottling part. Gotta go

Please share your work. It looks fantastic. Good inspiration
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC
Decaled!

Mix of Tamiya and Dragon decals. Some of the red printed stencils are printed slightly off-centre... but i will fix that... i hope.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi gregax!

Looks really awsome! Can't wait to see it finished and can't wait to get your feature for it! I will send you my e-mail adress if you prefer to use this way rather than the support center.

Again, Top Class work!

Jean-Luc
gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 03:42 PM UTC
Weathered! I used oil paints and Turpentine. As i am using Gunze arylic paints, there is no need for additional coat of future. After panel wash, I tried a different metod on the wings. I applied dots of different shades of oils on the wings (black, raw umber, ochre and white) then i loaded the brush with high quality turpentine and started to mix that mixture around the wing in the direction of airflow. That way I created nice "dirt" streaks.
If you are thinking to do this kind of washing on mottled patterens, you should spray protective coat of future as the turpentine melts the feathered edges of paint.

gregax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 08:40 PM UTC
Done! It needs some more weathering on some parts of the plane, especially antennas. I hope you like it...

_GOTOTOP