_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
My first model- A-10 WIP
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC

Okay, this my first model, a Revell 1/72 A-10. I've gotten quite a bit done on it, and I finally got a digital camera so I can show it off. YAY! Technically this isn't my first. The first was actually an M-41 Walker Bulldog that came out with a horrible finish, and just got worse when I started applying washes and whatnot to it. So it's now my test model for weathering techniques and all that good stuff.

So I 'm gonna consider this A-10 my first model, since it's my first successful one, so far anyway.

So here's pics. I have no proper photo set-up at all yet, not even a tripod, but comments and critique are more than welcome.

As you can see, I still have all the canopy work to do. I'm not sure if I'm ready to mask a canopy yet, especially on a 1/72. And I discovered quite a while after it was built that I glued the seat in too far up in the tub, therefore not allowing the canopy to close all the way. Grrrr.

All the ordnance is built but not painted yet. I get to sit on my butt for the holiday weekend because I just had arthroscopic knee surgery, so hopefully I can get some work done on it.

And I still need to put some Dull-cote on it, to kill the Future shine.

Thanks for any comments,

Bruce.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
WOW!! That's one awesome looking first model Bruce, well done!!
I hope that when I get started once again, my first will look this good.

Also, I wish you speedy recovery from your knee surgery.
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch.

This is my first scale model, but I've been painting miniatures, sci-fi and fantasy stuff, for about 5 years on and off, so I'm not a total rookie, just different scale and subject matter. But I have found quite a few different techniques between the two. Don't have to do any wet-blending or layering on the big stuff Smile [:)] Already have an airbrush and all the good stuff.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hi Bruce:

Itīs coming up very well. It doesnīt looks like a first build.
Keep on modelling
Coolaznkid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hey Bruce, great first model so far, definitely a lot better than my first. lol Keep it up!
BTW
How would you say is the quality of this Revell A-10? I've been interested in building one of these.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 05:28 PM UTC
Looking good so far.
Before you add the canopy touch up the inside edges and interior side walls. The cockpit wall may naturally be gray so it may be ok. The gray line behind the seat probably should be black.

Looks good for your first.
BM2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC
Good job! now that the warthog is "retired" there should be a lot of them showing up at museums!
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/attack/a10/
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
Good looking build. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
Okay, this one's been finished for a while, but I just got around to shooting some pics of it. And I have since discovered the Gimp, so that nasty yellow cast is gone.

I ended up hand brushing the canopy after it was masked 'cause I didn't want to mess up the surrounding parts with the airbrush. It turned out okay but not great I think. I definitely learned a lot about the order of the build on this one, hopefully the next one (probably an ME-262) will turn out better.

Tell me what you think!

Bruce.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 09:15 AM UTC
Beautiful camoflauge job there. Great looking model. Although I mainly build second world war aircraft in 1/72 scale, I might add, I have thought about getting back into jets. This is one I would like on my shelf. Take care.
What unit does this aircraft represent by the way? Take care. Russell
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:44 PM UTC
Great job on that one. It looks really good. It does not show it is your first model.

Thanks for sharing
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 04:26 PM UTC
Ohh... If my first model would have looked like this then I would have been very happy.

About ejection seats and canopies: I never glue ejection seats to the plane. Instead, I use the special microscale glue which permits (a bit like post-it glue) to remove the canopy or seat any time needed.
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful camoflauge job there. Great looking model. Although I mainly build second world war aircraft in 1/72 scale, I might add, I have thought about getting back into jets. This is one I would like on my shelf. Take care.
What unit does this aircraft represent by the way? Take care. Russell

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Umm, the 1st Regiment High Guard of Malvernis.

No not really. The blue decal on the left hand view is from a miniature wargame I play called CAV, and the army I use in that game called Malvernis. As for the real unit the other decals represent, I'd have to dig the paperwork out to see.
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
I was wondering, what do y'all think of the finish? I know it's probably personal preference, but what do you think, more flat or good like it is?

I may try for more flat in the future.
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:46 PM UTC
Looks pretty good. For my taste, I would prefer a flatter finish.
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 09:29 PM UTC
The A-10 is one of my favourites and i've build and broken loads of them. Nice job with this one although it's just a bit to shiny for my taste but each to their own if you like it leave it. Looking forward to the next one.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 09:39 PM UTC
Looks like a good build. I have never seen one in NATO 3-tone camo though.

Also, the A-10 has not been retired. The USAF is rebuilding and upgrading them to be more effective in the current fight. They are planning on cutting a couple squadrons of them to the USAF Spec Ops Command to be used as dedicated counter-insurgency platforms. The A-10 is too loved by the ground pounders to let them be retired. They are now planned to be flying till at least 2025.
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks everybody.

I was thinking of a flatter finish too, just wanted a second opinion.

As for the NATO 3-color, I just like the way it looks. I'm not really an "accuracy" painter yet, just kinda do what I think looks cool.

I used the same camo pattern that was in the literature, I just swapped the dark green for black and the gray for brown. At least I think that's what it was without getting the instructions back out. It's been a while.

Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC
Looks really good for a first model, or any number of model for that matter. Looks a little shiny though, bu that could be the camera too. As for the paint scheme, I have seen them 3 tone camo before, so dont worry about that part of it.

herky
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen them 3 tone camo before, so dont worry about that part of it.

What you have seen is not the NATO 3-tone camo as he has painted it. NATO 3-tone is for ground vehicles, not aircraft. The USAF 3-tone camo used on A-10s is called the "Euro 1" scheme and is composed of dark green, medium green, and dark gray, as such:

It does not have brown or black in the scheme.
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have seen them 3 tone camo before, so dont worry about that part of it.

What you have seen is not the NATO 3-tone camo as he has painted it. NATO 3-tone is for ground vehicles, not aircraft. The USAF 3-tone camo used on A-10s is called the "Euro 1" scheme and is composed of dark green, medium green, and dark gray, as such:

It does not have brown or black in the scheme.

I've got the same set of pics that one was taken from on my hard drive for reference.

That's the same camo that the kit has instructions for, where I just change out some colors for others.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Bruce:

Great job. Very good paint job. Just a little thing: there are some visible seams on the weaponry and the big belly tank. Well done
gatitus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 07:38 PM UTC
Congratulations !!!! Looks greats
 _GOTOTOP