Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Kit recommendations for 1/48 Fw190 and Bf109
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
I want to build an 1/48 Fw190 and a BF109. I was looking at Tamiya's and Hasegawa's kits, but I'm not sure which ones are better. I would preffer to build these in a fighter configuration and I tend to like the in-line engine version of the Fw190 better, but if there are some kits that are much better than others, I'm willing to try any of them. Please let me know what my options are. Thanks a lot!

PS. I would like these models to have the complete decals, with the swastika too. If they don't have them, please let me know who makes some good decal sheets for them.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi Ion

that question has been asked a lot .. so I keep it short (this is all 1/48)

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (I stick to newer mainstream plastic kits with engraved panel lines)

Fw 190 A-3/4
1. Hasegawa (new)
2. Hasegawa/Dragon
3. Tamiya

Fw 190 A-5 (6/7 future)
Eduard is (will be soon) the only game in town --- Dragon is a A-8 which has to be modified to make it a real A-5

Fw 190 A-8
1. Eduard (quite complex, so not really for the beginner)
2. Trimaster with Dragon and siblings (Revell/Italeri) almost on par
3. Tamiya (less accurate but easier buildable)

Fw 190 D
1. Trimaster with Dragon and siblings almost on par
2. Tamiya (less accurate but easier buildable)

Messerschmitt Bf 109 (I stick to newer plastic kits with engraved panel lines)

Bf 109 A/B/C/D

1. Classic Airframes (Short run!!! one of the easier though .. read build reports before starting these!)
2. Hobbycraft (faaaaar less accurate .. )

reading tip: Lynn Ritger Bf 109 pt.1 Modellers Datafile 9 (vol. 2 to follow soon) SAM Publication

Bf 109 E
is a matter of taste I prefer the Hasegawa, but others the Tamiya (because its easier buildability)
1. Tamiya
1. Hasegawa (JT series!! )
3. Hobbycraft (a bit simple but easier for the early variant without cannon bulges below the wings)

there are more, which I do not know

Bf 109 F
1. Hasegawa
1. ICM is just out and I do not have it yet, but should be very good
3. Hobbycraft is a bit (too) simple
(I've read somewhere the Airfix kit is also quite good, but I am not sure about that)

Bf 109 G
Hasegawa
Revell Monogram G-10 is really nice, but can be improved in the cockpit area
Hobbycraft is a bit (too) simple

Bf 109 K
Hasegawa
Hobbycraft is a bit (too) simple)
(Revell/Monogram is no real K)

Depending on where you live the Swastika is included or not (e.g. in Germany it is forbidden) All the main decal manufacturers have Swastika decal sheets, you should check refernce fotos or books to decorate your specific model ...

HTH

cheers

Steffen
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC
I had an easy time with Hasegawa's me-109,I built Joachim Marsellies Plane,and i built Tamiya's FW-190

they both built easy
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 01:13 PM UTC
I'm just curious to see Steffen's long answer... :-)
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC
Steffen said it all.
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
Thank you guys!

I am somewhat of a beginner and I built OOB pretty much as of right now.

I ordered Tamiya's TAM61039 Focke Wulf Fw.190F-8 and canopy/wheel hub masks for it since I stink at making these myself. The main reason for getting this kit is its desert camouflage. I love it.

I also ordered Hasegawa's HSG09063 Messerschmitt Bf.109K-4 and cano/camo/wheel hub masks for it.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
If you need swastikas you can get it from lucky model. They have them in both 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72.

However, if you order kits from abroad they should have them. Some swastikas have to be put together of two or four seperate decals. Fx. Trumpeter and Zvezda. This is very difficult for me as the smallest diviation in a swastika can be seen by the eye bacause of all the 90 degree angles.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS. I would like these models to have the complete decals, with the swastika too. If they don't have them, please let me know who makes some good decal sheets for them.

Aeromaster make them as do Xtradecal - in fact there are many sheets available. We sell them in our store but in all honesty you can get them cheaper from a US store most likely.

Also, in fairness to Hasegawa and Tamiya, they do both usually provide the swastika but they are placed on the edge of the sheet where German suppliers can cut them off.

Personally, I love the Tamiya Fw190's and have built all of them a couple of times including the desert camo so you will have a bundle of fun.

Regards,

Lee
 _GOTOTOP