_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Westland Lysander
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:12 AM UTC
:-) This is, or will be, the Gavia Lysander. A very nice kit with really only 3 problem areas. 1 is the slats need to be more prominant, easy fix just re-scribe. 2 the wing struts attachement gives the wrong dihedral, easy fix re-drill the locating holes 5mm closer to the fuselage. 3 the prototype seat is of tubular construction the kit seat is a plastic rectangle with raised lines. I have a nice picture of the seat and it's quit complicated but I think I have captured it fairly well, I used brass wire and CA glue. The construction isn't perfect and I nearly scrapped it until I realised that most of it wont be seen, plus the time and effort it took so I intend to keep it. The detail on the rudder bar is PE, originally designed for the Lindberg? kit. I actually started this before I joined Armorama and I'm posting this here because as I've stated on a post elseware, Armorama gets me building. So I'm hoping the same will happen with this :-)

Anybody else built this kit?
Comments welcome EEK :-)
Mal
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
I dont do aircraft but what you have shown in the pics the work you have put in is fantastic. Keep us posted on progress please.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
That's some great detail !
Now i can imagine the rest that you'll be showing us : cockpit structure... ?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:02 PM UTC
:-) cliff thanks, I don't normally scratch build much, only when I feel it's really necessary, like this seat. The reason I don't scratch build much is because I find myself trying to get every bit of even the smallest detail in, then burn out and not finish it. How ever my goal is to, someday, scratch build an entire aircraft. I will always put in seat belts though. I will certainly keep you posted.
:-) penpen HHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
Yep I hope to have the rest of the structure completed before Christmas I will post progress. I intend to put in a little bit more detail. I have the special duties veriant which I intend to put in a dio picking up/ dropping off spies in France. I have a load of reference for this aircraft, some directly from Westland. I worked for the countryside service in Doncaster for a while, mainly at Sandel Beat wood. I found a connection (or possible) connection between Doncaster airport, which during the War, referbished Lysanders, and Sandel Beat wood which copiced the same wood as used in the Lysander. I planned on building the Matchbox 1/32 scale Lysander in a dio, to be shown off in the visitors centre. I would still like to do it but when I look at it I just see so much work. One day soon maybe :-)
Mal :-)
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:11 AM UTC
Mal, don't you ever stop?

Another fine example of your skills mate. Lovely detail. I don't know the Lysander (yet) but how is it I feel I will soon?

Roger
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:15 AM UTC
:-) Hi Roger

Quoted Text

Mal, don't you ever stop?

He He No I don't have to, remember I'm out of work. In the next few days I will finish my Heinkell 111 and My Messerschmitt Bf 110G-2. The First of the 3 Amigos is almost done as well. How do you fancy a group build on the Lysander, after the Spitfire? You would need to scratch build the seat He He Nearly forgot, My Sea Fury hasn't got long to go either. :-)
Mal
Oberst
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hey Mal, nice looking Lysander.
Did you see the Lysander Special Services in the Tamiya Model Magazine a few issues ago?
It was a good article and building review, you should have a look.
Keep us posted on progress,

Andrew

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:41 PM UTC
:-) Andrew

Quoted Text

Did you see the Lysander Special Services in the Tamiya Model Magazine a few issues ago?
It was a good article and building review, you should have a look.
Keep us posted on progress,

Yes I've got the artical, very good. The only thing I don't like is the etched seat, although it dosen't look to bad, it just dosen't look right. Thats why I had to scratch build mine. I was glad to see the auther replaced the gunner/ radio op kit seat, with a wooden box. As usual though, the floor hasn't been reinforced (agents would climb the ladder and literally fall into the opening, they were in a hurry. If the floor wasn't reinforced they could damage it). Listen to me rivet counting, thats the trouble when you have to much information. Thing is I haven't been able to find out what the floor was reinforced with. Possibly wood. My answer to this problem will possibly be to hide the floor with a mattress, which is something else that was used in the back, especially if they where picking up, or dropping of more than one passenger. Will also add a bit of colour :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP