JG-54 Grunherz camouflage?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you recommend any internet vendor for the LiF books? Preferably one in the EU to avoid any tax problems.

If we are going to do a group build we might as well make it an official build with ribbon and everything and include all Bf-109s? Or is it just me being to structured now?

Good idea Jesper AND nope, I don't think that you're too structured....
Let's talk this through to see what we come up with. :-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

I'm more on Steffen's side on this one (it happens from time to time! :-) ) and would concentrate on ICM's new F-2 kit.
Making this another Campaign with rules, ribbon and all isn't a good idea IMHO. We already have to launch five groupe builds for the first half of 2007 and I remember that out of five Campaigns on Aeroscale last year only two finished in a satisfactory way. So we should keep this simple.

By the way Jesper, Staff Jim is working on the Campaign Submission feature on each site and we will probably have localized admin. access to the Campaign system in the next couple of days. So stay tunned for the first 2007 Aeroscale Campaign Season Launch:)

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hi Jesper and Jan

Quoted Text

Steffen, I wouldn't mind to slim it down to just the F of the 109, not at all. But how about if we did an Eastern Front groupbuild to start with and include E/F/G and the K of the 109 in it?

My intention and I also read that from J-Ls post was to build the ICM kit! I have nothing against an eastern front campaign, but I would like a "ICM Bf 109 F-2 group build" (maybe F-4 too, when it comes out) ...

Quoted Text

Can you recommend any internet vendor for the LiF books? Preferably one in the EU to avoid any tax problems.

Why not try Start verlag directly? I have a link in my review, but here it is again http://www.luftfahrtverlag-start.de/EHomepage/ehomepage.html

Hannants, Aviation bookshop [...] might have them too, but I do not know about prices and availability there

best wishes

Steffen
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Just read your review of the ICM 109F-2 again Jean-Luc (great review btw!) and I was wondering, is this kit something that you'd recommend me fellas? It just seems a bit of extra work is needed, that's all. Also, is it worth the difference in cost compared to Hasegawa's F-2? 13.99 for ICM against 14.99 for the Hasegawa......
What's your honest oppinion?

Thanks for the link btw Steffen!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys!
Making this another Campaign with rules, ribbon and all isn't a good idea IMHO. We already have to launch five groupe builds for the first half of 2007 and I remember that out of five Campaigns on Aeroscale last year only two finished in a satisfactory way. So we should keep this simple.

Well, I can gurantee that two of the campaigns will end better than satisfactory, unless sone major catastrophe occurs Namely my two campaigns.

Quoted Text

By the way Jesper, Staff Jim is working on the Campaign Submission feature on each site and we will probably have localized admin. access to the Campaign system in the next couple of days. So stay tunned for the first 2007 Aeroscale Campaign Season Launch:)

Jean-Luc

Sounds good - we are getting itchy to get started and start promoting the campaigns etc.

Thanks for the link, Steffen. Looks really good. I read some place they would make some "Heer in Focus" books as well. That could be cool
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi Jesper and jan

@Jan: IMO the ICM kit lacks a bit the finesse and surface quality of the Hasegawa, but you get a little more detail ... choose as you like it ... take the ICM if you want to join me and Jean-Luc in our group build

@Jesper: Heer im Fokus is postponed due to some internal trouble (I am not affiliated to them, but I know some of the stuff .. do not ask, I won't tell you) ... I hope this can be sorted out, as there are great (!) pictures to be published. I know many of the bunch for HiF Special (colour pictures) and also the HiF concentrating on final battles 44/45 should be spectacular

I should place my order for Uboote im Fokus soon, because when it's gone it is gone .. no reprint .... and I am not even interested in the U-Boot Waffe .. but maybe one day, when the first 1/48 U-Boot model is out I would regret it :-) :-) :-) :-)

best wishes

Steffen
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hmmmmm......I see. So if I want to come out and play with you guys, I have to get the ICM one, eh? Hint taken..... :-) :-)

Well, I have some decals for White 9 from 6./JG54 flown by Hans Philipp in Russia July 1941.

He was later shot down and killed by Robert S. Johnson 56th FG in 8.10.43....
It has the same camouflage as the first three color profiles in this thread.....
So I guess that will be my machine of choice..... :-) :-)
Have some serious shopping ahead of me.....lmao!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmmm......I see. So if I want to come out and play with you guys, I have to get the ICM one, eh? Hint taken.....

Hi Jan!

Yes, let's go for a "simple" ICM Bf 109 F-2 Group Build...

Any idea for a timeframe Steffen?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Deal.

I have many projects going on and first I have to finish the Bf 109 E-4 (DitS) and the Buffalo (FuMS) (hard enough until thursday due to limited time) and then there is the Fw 190 A-8, A-5, A-4, He 112V6 and the Bf 109 F-2 ... I also have a Harvard and that are only the things I have to build (press samples) ...

So just tell a date and I will try to make it happen ... (I will be away for a week or two starting on friday, so even if I have time to build, I cannot post pix)

best wishes

Steffen

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have many project going on and first i have to finish the bf 109 and the Buffal (hard enough until thursday due to limited time) and then there is the Fw 190 A-8, A-5, A-4 He 112V6 and the Bf 109 ... I also have a Harvard and that are only the things I have to build (press samples) ...

Hi Steffen!

Huh! You are quite busy!

I would suggest we wait a little and discuss it when the winter is over. Let's see if we have more time then.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Well .. the sequence for the builds does not matter and the ICM Bf 109 F is on the list , so as I said .. chose a date I I will try to make it happen ...

How about 31st of march .. a three month buiild should be possible ... even if the worst thing happened and I find a job (is that what they call "Galgenhumor" ?) and others have plenty of time to get the kit and join us ... just a suggestion.

best wishes

Steffen

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about 31st of march .. a three month buiild should be possible ... and others have plenty of time to get the kit and join us ... just a suggestion.

Well, since my structured suggestion about a real campaign was silently killed ..... *wiping tears from my eyes* :-) :-) :-)
I am on for the group build. I need to find the kit and some decals somewhere, but should not be a problem with the help of the internet.

Quoted Text

Even if the worst thing happened and I find a job (is that what they call "Galgenhumor" ?)

That is definently what we call galgenhumor in Denmark. Do you have the exact same expression in Germany? Those 80+ million Germans are copying our Danish language of us 5+ million Danes - or maybe it is the other way around LOL :-) :-)
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:23 AM UTC
We say GALGHUMOR in Sweden, so I know exactly what it is... :-) :-) :-) Since some people here has a lot to do, how about if we kick things in gear April 1st in the second quarter? Then it will be no stress or so.....
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi northern neighbors

Quoted Text

Since some people here has a lot to do, how about if we kick things in gear April 1st in the second quarter? Then it will be no stress or so.....

Well, the work load on my end will not slow down! In my list I left out some models that I have in the stash for some time now (e.g. Mirage PZL.P.24 , MPM He 177 or Airfix Spit IX ... not to mention that crappy Stumpeter Fw 200) and Nürnberg is only a month away, which will bring a week of full work and afterwards some models to build (maybe) .. I try to keep up, but sometimes it is just too much (or i wait for aftermarket stuff to appear, like a cockpit for the Greif.

SOOOO pushing it backward will only make it unlikelier that I finish it ...

Quoted Text

That is definently what we call galgenhumor in Denmark. Do you have the exact same expression in Germany? Those 80+ million Germans are copying our Danish language of us 5+ million Danes - or maybe it is the other way around LOL

Now I know why there were so many volunteers from Denmark for the Waffen SS .. you just love Germany

BTW do you both resume the old viking tradition to "explore" new territory? or did the flags of your contries change ... BTW2 I am a "Trekroner" (spelling?) too I am from Mecklenburg

best wishes

Steffen
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:57 AM UTC
Always interested in exploring new countries mate. Been living here for over 5 years now. Soooo Steffen, you're from the old colonies, eh? :-)
I know that there were a"few" Swedes in the SS as well 5th SS Division Wiking and 11th SS Division Nordland with their Schweden Zug..... I know, I know...... but anyhoo. :-) :-)
Well, you guys decide when you want to start and the rest of us fall in when we're ready and good.
Maybe if we start now and end 12/31/07 then? Plenty of time to finish.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about 31st of march .. a three month buiild should be possible ...

Hi Steffen!

31st of March is the end date? So the build could start... now and should end the 31st of March? Is that right?

If so, count me in for the "challenge"!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

yes lets start now and take the 31.03.2007 as ETA, others may come in later and finish when they are ready.

I suggest to start a new thread with a nice link to your first look (which I like, although i do not agree in every point ) ... OTOH we could also use the review thread? (as I cannot post between 6th and 15th you have to be a one man show at first ....)

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suggest start a new thread with a nice link to your first look (which I like, although i do not agree in every point )

Hi again Steffen!

What! You do not agree in every point? LOL!

Ok, let's start now and see what happens! I'll start a thread in the next couple of days then...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 02:47 PM UTC
"Make it so!"

Sorry for stealing your sentence, Jean-Luc

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Make it so!"

Engage!
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are hundreds of decals for Bf 109 F-2 out there and the kit is "cheap" (if there is such thing), a friend bought it for around 7 Euro from Ukraina and while it is surely more expensive in Germany or France or the UK, you will not have to sell an arm (or more) to get it ...

Hi guys,

..nearly choked on my cornflakes ( OK, cold ham or croissant then ..) when I read that ...€7 ..?! I'm sure you're right Steffan but
UK retail price is 14 GBP ..I make that about €20 ......yes and I bought one ..now that I've read the comments about the decals in the review here I wish I hadn't bothered.. The Airfix 48th 'Friedrich' is still much cheaper if you can find one, and while the plastic is quite 'hard' it is not too badly detailed ...I've thrown a couple together with no aftermarket anything....
I'd like to have a go at the group build thingy if Jan will 'loan' me the 'Yellow 6' decals from the Eagle Strike sheet there....(top):)

just one comment, I think there have been photos of 'yellow 4' published but there is no indication that it was Beisswenger's a/c......
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi Neil

welcome aboard

re prices: Ii have written my review yesterday and as it is a press sample I tried to find an officail import price for the thing. Well i found nothing and the prices I found were around 20 Euro. I guess this is some kind of "cash cow" thingie .. I bet the 7 euro my pal paid for the kit were already expensive when compared to the domestic prices in Ukraina ... so who to blaim ...

Re decals: I did not try this kit decals so if you wish ... go ahead and use them. I have though tried to yuse the Yak 9 and Mig-3 decals .. for both I bought a 2nd kit to complete my model and still had to scratch some ... sooooo choose your weapons

A second remark .. many if not most modellers interested in Luftwaffe or other topics have a larger decal stash about their subject of interest to choose from .. I do.

and finally, I just had a look at Internet Modeler yesterday and the model seems to have another decal sheet than mine(which is the same as J-Ls)?
IM

IPMS D.

what should I think about that?

best wishes

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A second remark .. many if not most modellers interested in Luftwaffe or other topics have a larger decal stash about their subject of interest to choose from .. I do.

Steffen

Yes, mine is the second sheet...it is very matt in finish, like the old Revell sheets...it is a shame to have to resort to proprietory decal sheets when the kit subjects are so interesting........and what is this word ..'stash..' :-)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC
Hi Neil

Please try those decals, then we know for sure ... i just used Revell's decals for Wick's Bf 109 and with Daco red they were manageable

My main problem is not the dull finish but of the desintegratingwhenhittingwater and foldingoverwhenleastexpected kind .... but try for yourself, little grashopper :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

le stash ... I always used it in the heap, pile sense, but I just had a look (LEO) it means "Geheimversteck" (well not in my case .. much too large for that) or "Lager" and that fits .. but I am no expert in English semantics or even semiotics ... any opinion from a professional translator?

cheers

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
..your English is so good Steffen ...I would say that 'stash' originally had an element of 'Geheim' - secret - in it in English, but modellers have subverted the meaning ... to simply 'pile' or 'heap' ...

I just caught up with Luftwaffe im Focus No. 9 - the colour pictures of Muetherich's JG 54 Emil are fantastic - quite clearly show the two greys of the 'netting' effect on the fuselage.... I'm also surprised at how scruffy the paint is generally and how uneven and rough and ready the fit of the fuselage and cowl panels ...