Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Battle for Britain Campaign
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
:-) Zach
Personally I would agree with you about 1/48, but there are those that don't build in 1/48 and would be excluded if we did that.
brandydoguk
Thanks for sorting that out. Are you in?
Stug
If the concenses is that we in clude armour then yes.
Tim
Your right, it's a bit tight to start this at the same time as the Spit build. I recon this Campaign will be quite long, so Roger will be able to build a Hurri for it
What do we think about time scale, remembering that we have 3 aircraft group builds on at the moment?
Mal
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:32 PM UTC
Three builds is a lot for just about anybody (unless you are unemployed like me and Mal, but I'm only in one build so far anyway). I suggest either setting the start date after at least one of the GB's ends or setting a long end date. I'm not sure what the other (ship, armor, figure, etc...) guys have going on or if they even want in.

I personally can't start for a couple of weeks as I'm waiting for my kit and stuff to come in, but that's a non-issue since I'm finishing up a car model (need more reference pics for my next car project, the Enzo *DROOL* ) and the Spit won't take up too much time. So I can catch up if it starts before my stuff comes in.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry but the Lancaster wasn't in any way a part of the BfB. It didn't enter service with the RAF until 1942. The standard bombers in service with the RAF which were used to bomb Germany in 1940 were the Wellingon, Hampden and Whitley, all twin engined medium bombers. Don't want to sound off but there may be newbies who get confused and build the wrong type to enter in the campaign.

Brandydoguk

I can't believe this!!! I had two sources backing my statement and I was still wrong!!!

Well I can assure you that this isn't the first time... #:-)

Just to make myself clear - I won't be making a Lancaster for this campaign!! Thanks Brandydoguk for the clarification.

I think I will be making one of the correct versions of the Spitfire for this campaign, which were 1A, 1B or 2. Is this correct??

My appology to all for my ranting...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:58 PM UTC
Brian,
My goodness. What are they putting in your coffee at that shop in Stockholm.

About a new campaign. Of course anyone can run any group-build or campaign they wish, but in order to do it through the Campaign page (and get a ribbon, etc., etc.)... it needs to be scheduled and sanctioned by A.C.T. (Armorama Campaign Triumvirate). This 3 person panel will help co-ordinate campaigns and hopefully make the world safe for democracy. Just kidding about the A.C.T. anagram.

Seriously though when you have your campaign ideas fleshed out, and a start date in-mind (no guarantees on if it fits into the overall schedule of course), then please send them to "[email protected]".

Thanks,
Jim
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,
My goodness. What are they putting in your coffee at that shop in Stockholm.

Jim

Probably glue!! I hate coffee and don't drink it anyway... Actually its Airfix's boxing. They have on the front cover a Spit, a Hurc and a Lancaster - sporting it to be a Battle of Britian commemorative package!!!

Talk about opening myself for what I usally do... "smack right in the kisser"
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:50 PM UTC
Huntercottage, here is your explanation about the "BfB" airfix box :
the RAF has a commemorative unit that flies a spitfire (probably several, I'm not certain), a hurri and a lanc ! And it' s called the BfB commemorative flight !
Well, I don't know if it still exists because I haven't heard about it for some time...
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 01:39 AM UTC
Well guys there seems a lot of support for this build, I'm certainly up for it but then again, the battle of Britain is my favoured topic for boring to death anybody who will listen, heh heh.
I have no particular preferences for scale or limits to the models built, as the battle was to affect everybody who was living in Britain at the time, from the actual armed services involved through the manufacturing industries right down to the small children who helped collect scrap pots and pans and railings etc. to be recycled into spitfires, (the perfect morale builder as the scrap metal was never used for this). My one reget is that my modeling skills do not match my knowledge of the subject.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My one reget is that my modeling skills do not match my knowledge of the subject.
Brandydoguk

I've heard that one before...hog wash I'd say. You're a great modeller until proven otherwise here!
Eagle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Triumvirate

well...I didn't know that word before..... I'm glad that I know what you're trying to tell us...... "Triumvirate"......sounds more like a nasty disease to me.... #:-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

Seriously though when you have your campaign ideas fleshed out, and a start date in-mind (no guarantees on if it fits into the overall schedule of course), then please send them to "[email protected]".

OK Jim,

penpenHave you have ever seen the BoB Memorial Flight.......well........Awsome :-) and the sound......6 Merlin engines......WOW.

brandydoguk
Quoted Text

the battle of Britain is my favoured topic for boring to death anybody who will listen, heh heh.

I'll listen, one of my favourite subjects, although I'm no expert. (It's not even mentioned in schools anymore! If you consider what would have happened if we had lost)
Gutten tag :-)
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:02 PM UTC
Holdfast, i must agree with you : a V12 certainly plays a nice music...
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 06:21 PM UTC
well guys, if adam doesn't hurry with his list, then i got He111H to save for the campaign, and i'm quite interested in the old bird, so let me know when i can start building it, or can i start now after the spitfire is done!!! let me know, i also have decal and instuctions for a white over hellblau he111 i think is cool!!! stug
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
:-) This as gone quite, so this might be a good time to start fleshing out the details.
What about:
3 levels ie:
a) For the novice, those with very few kits under their belts, or those that are building out of their normal sphere, for the first time.
b) For the intermediate builder, those with plenty of experience, or building within the "comfort zone". Possibly those that normally build OOB but are detailing.
c) For the skilled builder, those with more experience, or those that regularly detail or super detail.
The theme would be The Battle for Brittain. Any model can be built, in any scale but it must:
a) Be from the period May to December 1940 and have a link with either the Luftwaffe or the RAF.
b) It must show something to do with either the attack on Britain, or the defence of Britain. It must have a military theme. (civilians can be included, as long as the overall picture is military).
I am also thinking that the subject should be on a base. Not necessarily a diorama but a desplay base. The sort you see at most competitions. As simple or as complicated as you like. Size to suit.
Time scale 4-6 months?
This has not been fully thought out, so feel free to pic holes in it. remember the idea is to get as many involved as possible, particularly the new members. :-)
Mal
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
"If you read the entire thread, you'll see where I try to reel them back in. Heck someone even wanted to build a Stuka for an armor group build!"

Hey, that bonehead was me! I do apoplogize to anyone who was offended when I inquired about a Stuka. When I saw the "Barbarossa Group Build" I did not catch the "armor" part in the text. Again my apologies!

As for my $0.02, Any aircraft, Any country that participated, Any scale, OOB or Kitbash, NO PRIZES, and a timeline commensurate with the Actual Battle. SQUADRON SCRAMBLE!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"If you read the entire thread, you'll see where I try to reel them back in. Heck someone even wanted to build a Stuka for an armor group build!"

Hey, that bonehead was me! I do apoplogize to anyone who was offended when I inquired about a Stuka. When I saw the "Barbarossa Group Build" I did not catch the "armor" part in the text. Again my apologies!

Hey, I didn't mention any names! You forgot to mention who sent you a time appropriate kit for the build. Any way, I did start that thread in the Armor Talk forum.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:33 AM UTC
:-) Oops, sorry Rob maybe I shouldn't have posted your reply to my PM, certainly should have asked you first, my apologies
Anyway Chief, you can build your Stuka here :-)
I agree about the time scale, a bit long maybe but It would give me time to attempt my first diorama. A Walrus picking up a downed airman.
I've been thinking about including all modelling disciplines, I don't, now, think that it is such a good idea. Not that they shouldn't be allowed but that a Battle for Britain campaign, started on the Aircraft board should be for aircraft. Thoughts please. The reasoning behind this is that if say the Ship board started a campaign and their was a ship modeller doing this campaign, he/she would be missing out on a build dedicated to his/her preference. They would likely leave this campaign for the other. I think we can accomodate other disciplines buy having a catagory for those that don't normally build aircraft, or this is their first. Thoughts please.
Mal
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and a timeline commensurate with the Actual Battle. SQUADRON SCRAMBLE!

I like this idea. We had the Spitfire GB start on the anniversary of the first Spit flight. We should have the BfB campaign run through the same dates as the actual BfB.

Other than that I agree with the details Mal has laid out.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:34 PM UTC
I like the idea of not limiting the subject matter too much. The more scope we are given the more we can run with different ideas. I am planning to build a small vignette of pilots and planes after they have just landed after a combat, hopefully showing both excitement and stress aong the group. It will be in 1/48 but as I normally build those big lumpy things with tracks and guns in 1/35 scale, any tips you guys have for painting figures in this scale would be most appreciated.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:08 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

Count me in for a Hurri based BoB build. However, since I don't have any ground equipment kits or stuff, I will be building only the plane, and not a diorama.

I have an Academy Mk IIc, but I'm not sure if that qualifies for a BoB entry. AFAIK, Mk IICs came along after the BoB. But I'm sure I can modify my Mk IIc down to a Mk I. From what I could see in my refs, there's not much of a difference.

Or since I love making German a/c, I'd go in for a Do-217 (1/72) or a He-111(1/48) , along with a Hurri.

I have put in my thoughts in the Hurri build post. Let me know...

Cheers,
BP.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
Bytepilot, I think it wouldn't be too much of a problem changing a Hurricane Mk2 to a Mk1a. From my reference material it would be mainly omitting the cannons and filing off the cannon breach bulges in the wings, and either drilling 4 holes in each wing leading edge for the gun ports or simply using some spare red decal cut to size for the doped on fabric patches applied to prevent gun icing. The exhausts may need altering if they are the later "Fishtail" type.
I'm doing the same conversion to change from a Spitfire Mk5b to a Mk1a.
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC

Hey, I didn't mention any names! You forgot to mention who sent you a time appropriate kit for the build. Any way, I did start that thread in the Armor Talk forum.[/quote]

Rob,
No offense taken mate! Just showing my age! Thanks for sending the kit too!!!!!!!!!! I am forward deployed away from home, computer access is remote at best, and the model bench wouldn't fit in the seabag. Can't wait to get back. Got a LARGE number of aircraft kits on the way from different Ebay winnings. I tallied up the dollars spent and just realized I need some serious counseling!
You all be safe back home and when I return to home plate (Sicilia) I'll be looking forward to a LOOOONGGGG stint in the chat room! Cheers!!!!!!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
Well I just polished of a great version of a BF110G-4 Night fighter, Were these flown in that battle?
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC
Ok, Who/What/When? Is the Battle of Britain Group Build gonna go on? Lets Roll!!!! I'll be back home in a few and am chompin at the bit to build something.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
There seem to be a few comments on different threads about this campaign. Mainly regarding what people are planning. Some people suggest that an "aircraft" thread campaign should be only aircraft and nothing else. Others seem to like the idea of including figures into a diorama or building vignettes where the emphasis is not solely on the aircraft. Wondered if it would be possible to have this campaign opened on all of the different topic boards? Then people could build dios, aircraft only, figures, or even vehicles such as the early British tanks which were massed on the south coast against possible invasion, or barage balloon sites. It would be interesting to see what people would build given the widest possible scope. I'llprobably be shot down in flames for this suggestion but its just a thought.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
brandydoguk
Opening this up to all disciplines was just an idea and has it's merits, however I, personally now, don't think it is such a good idea. There are many reasons but in an earlier post I wrote this:
:-)
Quoted Text

I've been thinking about including all modelling disciplines, I don't, now, think that it is such a good idea. Not that they shouldn't be allowed but that a Battle for Britain campaign, started on the Aircraft board should be for aircraft. Thoughts please. The reasoning behind this is that if say the Ship board started a campaign and their was a ship modeller doing this campaign, he/she would be missing out on a build dedicated to his/her preference. They would likely leave this campaign for the other. I think we can accomodate other disciplines buy having a catagory for those that don't normally build aircraft, or this is their first. Thoughts please.

So I would never shoot you down, but another reason is that to run a campaign over all boards would be a nightmare. Also, although I'm not against campaingns on this board pulling entrants off other boards, It might discourage other boards from starting campaigns, due to possible deminished participants.
My proposal is to have a catagory for first time aircraft builders and builders with few aircraft to their name. As well as a diorama catorgory. Every piece should be based around aircraft but other elements are allowed. Also of course main aircraft catagories (how many?)
There's plenty of time, those on other boards with an opinion ought to come here and voice it. I'm probably missing a lot, I'm limiting the boards I visit recently because of time, so if you see a comment elsewhere ask them to post it here so we can see the overall feeling, all opinions are valid :-)
Mal