_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E4 Galland, Finished.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
:-) This is the Second of the 3 Amigos that I am building for the Luftwaffe group build. (The first one a 109E-3 is elsewhere on this board). It represents Adolf Gallands 109 E-4 when he was commander JG26 on 25th September 1940, during the Battle for Britain (see the Battle for Britain campaign on the Aircraft board). Again this is the Hasegawa 1/48 kit, a nice easy build but not as detailed as the newer Tamiya E. The scheme is interesting in that it is an early use of the later RLM 74, 75, 76 scheme. I used Lifcolour acrylics on this model, with a wash of artist oils. The first wash was to brown and to light (Warm Grey, Madder Brown and Black) so I added black, but only re-washed the uppersurfaces. Decals were a problem, Crosses bars and chevrons were all badly out of register and unuseable. So the new crosses were sourced from 1 other kit and 2 aeromaster sheets, the shevrons were from another kit. For the bars I used white stripes from a Revell FW 190 D-11 which was used in the protection flight for Gallands Me 262s later in the War, and trimmed the white from the kit markings combining them on the model. Hope you like it as much as I enjoyed building it :-) Give me a week and I hope to have the last one complete, with a 110G-2 in the mean time :-)

Comments/Constructive Criticism welcome :-)
Mal
MrFritz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Damn that's nice.......no other comments but to say that I wish I could make a plane look like that.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
Damn Mal !!! The kit looks just beautiful :-) I just wish that my E-4 had came out that well....
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
Good job Mal!! That's a good looking plane.
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:58 AM UTC
Another great job, Mal.. Can I just send you my airplane kits and you build them for me???..j/k..
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:59 AM UTC
As always Mal, a splendid performance chap!
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Mal:

I'm not schmoozing you here, (but judging from the various aircraft pics you've posted on this site), have you ever considered putting together a book for publishing? Basically explain the builds, your construction and painting techiniques, shows the pics----and---- count the cash!!! You are very, very good. Thanks for the pics.

ps: I'd buy it.

Steve aka WeWillHold
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
:-) Steve

Quoted Text

have you ever considered putting together a book for publishing?

Funny you should mention that. I am planning something for here, when the 3 Amigos are done. I have also thought about writing a book. Any book I have ever read about modelling tells you what to do, not how to do it. What I mean by that is they might explain how but they never tell you how or why you might go wrong. So when, as is inevitable, you can't do the technique as described you will think you have done something wrong and not try again. That is until you come on Armorama and ask :-) So I have thought about writing a book, for beginners and do a Spitfire Group Build :-) I also hope to be starting a modelling course after Easter, funded by North Nottinghamshire College. I believe it to be Unique, certainly in England.
Thanks for your comments :-)
Mal
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 08:27 PM UTC
Yep, I have to agree, yet another fine looking model Mal. I think this one is a really "nice" looking model, especially with the yellow nose and tail, and the "speckled" sides.

Can I have a signed first edition of your book please. :-) Seriously, just do it!! I'm sure you could, and even if you start now and photograph all your builds it won't take more than a couple of weeks to have enough material for a book....

I have a question about the antenna wire.... I can see a small blob just in from each end of the "wire", my guess is that this is either 1) something to do with the fastening method (knot or glue) or 2) (my favourite) a design feature that is meant to be there to replicate the real thing. Is this the "invisible thread"?

Nice weathering, especially on the nose.

Roger
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 08:33 PM UTC
Damn, this is nice plane. I especially like the camo thing, and the gun nozzle weathering, very very nice.

man you build it faster than I can come up with comments, next time, I will just copy and paste my previous comments, if you keep your building speed.

BBW2, I still convinced that you have a factory going on though...... #:-)
Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
I was looking at a site recently where aircaraft builders made armor and the armor builders built aircraft. the results were fantastic. The aircraft all had a good weathering and were nicely rusted and chipped. I think Holdfast that your kit should be among them. I really like the weathering. Not an aircraft fan but when they get this treatment, they become some eye-candy! Lovely model! If I keep seeing finishing like this I might get tempted myself someday!
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC

Very nice Job Holdfast ,

Galland would have been proud of You !!! - How many days - You working on this project ?

Best Regards

COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
excellent work..congrats
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
:-) Roger

Quoted Text

I have a question about the antenna wire.... I can see a small blob just in from each end of the "wire", my guess is that this is either 1) something to do with the fastening method (knot or glue) or 2) (my favourite) a design feature that is meant to be there to replicate the real thing. Is this the "invisible thread"?

The blob is the insulator, done with white glue and painted oily steel. Yes it is invisible thread, attached with CA

Dave aka Davidus ArwenIsMineus Pig No. 2
Yeah your right I must confess, I have about a million Fluvian slaves in a sweat shop, building away

TOMCAT14

Quoted Text

Galland would have been proud of You !!! - How many days - You working on this project ?

I don't think Galland would approve, I left out the cigar lighter This was done for the Luftwaffe group build, along with 2 others (1 of them already complete), I think we started on December 1st. There are progress pics on the aircraft board
Mal
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:16 PM UTC
EXCELLENT WORK IS VERY NICE
ROBERTO
 _GOTOTOP