_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC
I built this model in memory of a second cousin of mine, LTJG John S. Weeks, USNR. John was lost on a an anti-shipping rocket mission in Otaru Harbor, just north of Hokkaido, Japan one month to the day before V-J day. In the face or withering anti-aircraft fire, he pressed on and fired his rockets sinking a heavily laden troop transport. His wingman, LTJG Cecil Moore, remained on station as long as he could, in fact longer than he had fuel for. He was forced to ditch 20 miles behind Shangri-La and had to be rescued. He was only 23 when he was killed. It took a considerable amount of research to find the BuNo and Side Number of his aircraft. He was attached to VBF-85 aboard USS Shangri-LA (CVA-38) . For his heroism in the face of extreme danger John was awarded a posthumous Distinguished Flying Cross, the highest of all aviation related awards.

This is the Tamiya -1D kit. This is the third such Tamiya Corsair I have built so I knew ahead of time all the things that needed to be corrected. The cockpit sidewalls were ground smooth and the details scratch built. I also scratchbuilt the seat out of soda can aluminum and built the seat attachment framework out of styrene rod. The engine received a lot of work as well. I ground off all the detail on the bulletnose and scratchbuilt the magnetos, RPM governor, valve pushrods, ignition ring and ignition wires. I also replaced the kit cowl flaps with ones made from soda can aluminum. I also corrected a few things with the struts, primarily the tailwheel strut. I scratchbuilt a hard rubber tailwheel to replace the pneumatic one supplied in the kit. The insignia, side number and squadron markings were hand painted and all the stenciling done on my ALPs. This model will soon be featured in a full build article in Fine Scale Modeler. I am not sure if it will be a cover article or not though I suspect it will.

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
Scott,
Very incredible. It certainly adds more to the model when family history is brought into the mix. I have a subscription to Fine Scale, and I'm looking forward seeing your work. At some point I'm going to build an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane with my grandfathers markings. He flew for the RCAF, but I have not been able to find which unit.

-Derek
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
Neat model. I have a question for you though, how do you get the paint chips right? I have tried them myself and it just turns out horrible. I attempted to do mine though dry brushing but it never ends up where I want it, along the edges of panel lines.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:38 PM UTC
Great model and very nice to see it tied in so closely with history.

Congratulations on getting into Fine Scale Modeller.

Thanks for sharing
masstactical
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
Great job, Scott. The finish for this bird looks right. I to would be interested in learning how you achieved to include the paint chipping and weathering.
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Neat model. I have a question for you though, how do you get the paint chips right? I have tried them myself and it just turns out horrible. I attempted to do mine though dry brushing but it never ends up where I want it, along the edges of panel lines.

I use Testors Non-buffing Aluminum Metalizer and a 20/0 spotter paintbrush that has been whittled a bit. My paint chips are more like an accumulation of little dots than a solid "chip"
Removed by original poster on 04/14/07 - 10:47:14 (GMT).
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
A great story and a touching one, with a great airplane model as well.
My dad, who was in the Fourth Marine division during the war, was at Kwajalein, Saipan, and Iwo Jima, used to love to see those Corsairs overhead!
He used to say, good airplane, whenever we would see one on television, knowing one of his sons, me, was an aviation historian and always got a good laugh.
Really great build, the only question I have was did aircraft from carriers weather that much? Either way you did well. Take care. Russell
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC
thanks for the tip, I think I will try it sometime. One thing though, I have a 1/4 ounce jar of the plain vanilla Testors Aluminum paint, would that work just as well?
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:12 AM UTC
That's some incredible work! I thought I was having a deja vu episode when I received a copy of FineScale's special issue on painting and weathering, and there your Corsair was! The soda can seat & cowl flaps are genius! The engine detail is inspiring! I'm just getting into scratching, and I can see that the possibilities are endless!

And, if you have that particular issue on hand, you can see me and my article on Page 58-59.
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's some incredible work! I thought I was having a deja vu episode when I received a copy of FineScale's special issue on painting and weathering, and there your Corsair was! The soda can seat & cowl flaps are genius! The engine detail is inspiring! I'm just getting into scratching, and I can see that the possibilities are endless!

And, if you have that particular issue on hand, you can see me and my article on Page 58-59.

Many thanks Mark!

This is my sixth feature article in FSM.

That's a beautiful Mustang you did as well! Has the magazine hit the street or are you a subscriber? I got an advance copy about three days ago.
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... This is my sixth feature article in FSM.

...Has the magazine hit the street or are you a subscriber? I got an advance copy about three days ago.

I've been a subscriber for several years now, so I also got a copy early. And yes, I recall seeing some of you amazing work in previous articles, including your 1:32 Thunderbolt, which just blew me away. Great work!
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
Scott,

Very nice! I like the subtle weathering. Very well done!
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
Touching story mate and an awesome model! Thanks bunch for sharing...
 _GOTOTOP