_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Showcase on early aviation talent .. C.Dalton
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:39 PM UTC
Greetings all I thought we might do with a bit of spotlight on some modelers that I have come to know as "talented." We can always learn from the works of other modelers. (So you don't get too bored with my opinions.) Here are some of the 1/72 & 1/48 works of Caz Dalton. Callsign: Red Ruffensore.

First, his Roden 1/72 scale Pfalz D.IIIa represents the mount of Leutnent Karl (also spelled Carl in many texts) Degelow (30 victories), who flew a black Pfalz with his distinctive leaping silver stag markings. Degelow's career was saved by Ltn J. Jacobs after a mishap while target practicing in Jasta 7. He went on to command Jasta 40. After WW I, he fought against the communists in the post-war revolution that swept over Germany. When WW II broke out, he joined the Luftwaffe as a Major and survived the war. He became a businessman post war and died in Hamburg, Germany on November 9, 1970.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
Next is his version of the Roden 1/48 scale Nieuport 28.c in Ltn Rickenbackers colours of the 94th Aero. ". . . really didn't have a moment's problem with getting Roden's decals on. But yes, there are problems. First of all, the rings in the "Hat-In-The-Ring" fuselage decals are too large. I cut the rings and will touch up with brush when the decals are set. Ditto the fuselage numbers "12". I had to fudge and move the fuselage "12" decals forward from where they should be. It's not historically correct and you and I know it. But I can deal with it. I'm doing it museum clean anyhow, so if I may, I'll take "artistic license"! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!. . ."

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 03:06 PM UTC
"You know, if you were to ask me, "Do I hate Fine Molds models?", I'd have to say yes. They cost too much and they do not do enough models of proper subjects.

With that in mind, Dorothy Pace, Charlie Pace's wife, called me over to the vendor booth at Richmond and said Charlie sit this one aside just for you. Then she handed me the Find Molds 1/72 Curtiss R3C-0 kit. I could have dropped.

At first thought I had envisioned converting it to the true R3C-1, but alas, the fuselage was too long and the tailplanes too small. So hey, being who I be, I say hey, they Navy needed a damn floatplane fighter in 1926! So I built the bastards one!

It's all complete using invisible thread aerial radio wiring. The gunsightis a reserve Fotocut P/E ring gun sight with a fine wire bead.

Other than the instrument panel and seat belts, none of the decals that came with the kit were used. National Insignia are from Aeromaster with the rudder markings and prop stripes done with white, insignia blue, and insignia red decal film. I did all text insignia using Long Beach Font in Adobe Illustrator and printed them on Testors clear film. They were set with Krylon Artist's Fixtif after the ink had dried, which works much better than Testors Decal Bonder.

Rigging is 0.015-in wire, which is really stripped model auto spark plug wire. It fits exactly in a #80 drilled hole. BTW gang, I have 8 pin vises and not one of them would hold a # 80 bit. So I fixed that. I got a 25 gauge hypodermic needle and cut off a 1-in section. Cleaned it up and bored it out. A #80 bit fits precisely in the open end of a 25 gauge hypo. So I slid the bit in up top the cutting portion and CNAed it in place. My #80 bit has never worked better. Why hadn't I thought of that 15 years ago!

Paints are Polly Scale, Aeromaster, and Alclad II unpolished Aluminum. Prop is done with MM Insignia Red and MM Buffing Aluminum Metalizer."

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi Stephen!

Thanks for sharing! This Curtiss is a cool looking plane... reminds me of the "Porco Rosso" stuff. The models are fantastic!

Jean-Luc
Cazzie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
I'm the new guy, late by way of the Aerodrome and JackFlash. I have been in frequent on model sites lately. Spend too much time there and less time modeling. Funny thing is, I have been modeling quite a bit of late and just getting back into posting stuff on the web.

Stephen has introduced me via the Pfalz D.III and fictional Curtiss F3C-1 Chickenhawk. They're mine.

I just finished another old airplane, but it's a monoplane, doesn't qualify as a "real" airplane!

I used one of the 1/72 PJ Production's resin seated WW I pilots (Allied) in building this old (pre-fall-of-the-wall) K-P 1/72 AVIA BH-3 of 1921/22. Unique airplane, used a BMW engine.

Caz

Cazzie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen!

Thanks for sharing! This Curtiss is a cool looking plane... reminds me of the "Porco Rosso" stuff. The models are fantastic!

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc, the model was based on the Curtiss R3C-1 from the Porko Rosso" anime. Fine Molds did this and the SM floatplane Porko flew (I wish I could find it in 1/72). The 1/48 Fine Molds kits of the Savoia is still available from Hobby Link Japan.

Savoia

Sure tempted!

Caz
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
Welcome to the crew! Better late than never.
 _GOTOTOP