_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Battle for Britain Campaign
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC
I'm not completely sure of the form to approach Jim to OK this Campaign, so as the original thread seems to have gone quiet (dead) then I assume that either you have all lost interest or you all agree with my last post on the subject :-)
To confirm your interest please post an affirmative on this thread, Ta
If for whatever reason you wish to comment on the proposed format please do so on the other thread, here: other thread Ta
To save you hopping backwards and forwards here is my post:

Quoted Text

This is the basics of what I propose for this campaign:

1) Open to all.
2) All models and dioramas to have as the main theme aircraft that were involved in the Battle for Britain, between May and December 1940.
3) 4 categories:
a) For the novice builder. In this catergory the builder is either; new to building models, new to aircraft models or normally builds other types of models.
b) For the intermediate builder. In this catergory the builder usually builds aircraft and the model is built out of the box (I believe out of the box in IPMS American contest rules is to restrictive. "It has to be in the box to be allowed"?) My interpretation of out of the box includes simple enhancements like PE seat belts and antenna wires but not other detailing useing aftermarket goodies.
c) For the Experianced builder. In this catergory, anything goes from out of the box to hyper detailed ( If you have been building aircraft models for some time and even if you build simply out of the box then this catergory is for you) I would put myself here, even though I build effectively OOB.
d) Dioramas. No size limits, the scene must have as it's main focus an aircraft which was involved in the BfB as outlined above. I am cosidering doing a Supermarine Walrus picking up a downed airman.
5) Any scale.
6) All none dioramas to be on a disply base. This could be as simple as a piece of hard board with a map of the UK pasted to it or a vignette with a single figure. (any mor than 1 figure will be classed as a diorama)
7) Time scale 1st June 2003- 1st November 2003, 5 months, possible extension for late comers. (Although it would be nice to run the campaign on the same time frame as the actual battle I think 8 months is a bit long. Also other campaigns are going on and it would be nice not to clash, to heavily with them)
8) In progress pics are submitted regularly. To me this is one of the most important aspecs of the campaign. Regular updates keep the thing "alive". The delema though is that not every one has access to the necessary equipment to be able to do this and insisting on this means the campaign being restricted to those with the right equipment (no jokes about size not being the issue). It is necessary however to show that the project was produced within the time frame to qualify for the campaign ribbon.
9) Not a competition so no prizes, campaign ribbon for those completing the project within the time frame.
OK gang this is just the basics but I want to keep it simple. Your comments please but keep them constructive and remember this is designed to accomodate all that want a go. So if you think that none of the proposed catergories include you say so and we can look at altering them slightly. I particularly need a solution to the pics problem.
Mal

It might be possible to have the time scale as origanally planned as May to December, I will ask
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC
:-) I'm in :-)
MAL
EDIT: I will definately be doing a Hurricane Mk 1, Bader's or Tuck's. I might also do a Defiant. What I would like to do is a Walrus picking up a downed airman, but that might be a bit to ambitious. Might have to do it just tied to it's moorings, it will be on water anyway. My problem is to be able to do any of these I will need to be in work (for funds), if I'm in work I might not have the time.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:55 PM UTC
I think I'm in. I got everything for my Hurricane except the kit (backorder) and the decals (out of print) I may go ahead and just do the kit in standard markings. but I'm hopeful I can get the decals elsewhere.
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:00 PM UTC
Yep, me too. Not sure what I'll do though. Just got a Hurricane, but pretty sure it is a later one so will not qualify. That's no problem, as I fancy doing a German bird.

Later guys...

Roger
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:28 PM UTC
Well guys I'm in for this one!!!!!!!! Anne also might help as well, one dio two modelrs!!!!! I'm thinking a White 1/48th HE111 flying straight and level to its target, and and 1/72nd spitfire coming to "save the day!" forced prospective dio of coarse!!! stug
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:13 PM UTC
Count me in. I've been collecting the kit and figures I need for the last couple of weeks so I am just about ready to start. Can't wait
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
:-) Sorry, just bringing this back to the front page, need more takers.
Mal
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:10 PM UTC
funniest thing is when we were discussing this campaign we had a lot of in terest in doing it!!! I hope this doesn't go away, i'm buying my 1/72nd spitfire this weekend if not today!!!!! we could add a link from the old thread to here for sign ups, think it'll work???? stug
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:39 PM UTC
I am in. I will do a Phantom as a what if Luftwaffe plane, or maybe a Leopard II, oh wait...sorry I mis read.

Okay I might do a Ju-87 to bomb all of you to oblivions... #:-)
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
OK, I'm in !
Do you think that a gladiator would be OK ? It was probably still used for schooling. Also, the roden kit is supposed to be good, so I might just build it if you say OK.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:16 AM UTC
penpen
The Gladiator was used in the BfB by 804 and 808 squadrond Fleet Air Arm for local defence of naval bases and dockyards during the battle. Don't know if they actaully shot down any aircraft but their presence in the air must have had some deterent value and the pilots were eligable for the battle of Britain clasp.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC

Ok. , I'm in - it will be an Honor and Good experience - I will run to My nearest Hobby Shop for Spit Mk I from Tamiya - scale 1:72 ( with PE and Scratch improvements ) will be accepted ?

Best Regards
Absolute Tomcat , 299% Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
Thank you brandydoguk !
Do you know if they used gladiators or sea gladiators (arrester hookand perhaps other modifications) ?
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
Penpen, 804 squadron flew Sea Gladiators in 1940. They were camoflaged in standard FAA scheme of dark green and sea grey camoflage on the top of all wings and horizontal tail surfaces, and fuselage extending halfway down the sides, white on the lower wing surfaces, lower horizontal tail surfaces and lower half of the fuselage. The fin and rudder were also white. Only a single letter was used to identify the aircraft after the fuselage roundel in grey (as per fighter command fighters) but no letters were before the roundel to identify the squadron.

Sorryguys, late edit to this post, for the above description read "Sky" instead of "White"
My research was incomplete due to misread FAA research.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
:-) I make it 7 so far, I'm sure there were more than this originally? I don't know if there is a minimum number to be able to start a campaign but I will make a request to Jim and see how it goes. If we do start in May there is plenty of time for others to join. I had PMs from Chief, I think, (I went and deleted all my PMs before checking, oops) he said he would probably have to start late.
Stug I'm a bit worried about this White He 111, I don't think a white one flew during the battle? brandydoguk, do you know of a white Heinkell? Dio idea sounds good though.
Mal
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:27 AM UTC
Holadfast I'm going by the instructions which has the 111 listed as late '40 for the white markings, all i know is that snow usually syarts in november so the winter paint jod is an easy filch depending on where it flew from. well its time for my real job. stug
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hi, I've been looking for info on white He111s. The guys at Luftwaffe experten message board said that no He111 flew in white during the battle, they all had regulation 70/71 splinter camouflage, the only change being the lower surfaces being overpainted in black when they switched to night bombing. The white He111 camouflage was used extensively from 1942 on the eastern front.
However there were He111s based in Norway that took part in the battle. I would think it is not inconcievable that they were overpainted white later in the year as a field modification.
Talking about camouflage, did anyone know that the British commander of fighter command, Hugh Dowding wanted his fighters painted only in green for the upper surfaces and half white half black for the undersurfaces? Somehow it would have made painting models of the aircraft a bit easier for those of us who are not blessed with steady hands and good eyesight heh heh.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 08:53 PM UTC
:-) Thanks bdUK, Stug I think, based on what bdUK has said about the He 111 in Norway then your white bird is exceptable :-)
Interesting point bdUK, I think plain green would have been to boring, obviousley there was no thought about modelling in the 21st century during the war
Mal
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC
well it seems funny, all that over a plane!!! the funniest thing is finally got a Tamiya spitfire in 1/48th a MK1, same scale as the heinkel and am thinking of doing a close turn with both of the planes braking different directions!!! see that i got the same scale should come out nice, but should i still do the box or just a flat base for the dio???? stug
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
Me too, me too, me too!!!!!!!!!! I'm in! Now the dilemma.....1/32 Spit Mk1, Lysander, Martlet or ME-109E or 1/48 HE-111 or JU-88, oorrrrrrr 1/72 Spitfire Mk1 or Hurricane Mk1? Thing that make you go HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
I've made a formal request to get this underway, Jan has replied but I queried a couple of points, so I'm waiting the reply. It looks like we need at least 10 participants, for one thing, to get the OK. This is who I make to be in, at the moment:
Holdfast
Twistedfate
Favorisio
SS-74
Tomcat14
Penpen
BrandydogUK
Stugiiif
Chief
Thats 9, I took a look at the other string about this and I think Propboy is interested, I'll send him a PM if we fail to make 10 soon. If you know of anyone that's interested and they have'nt said so on this string can you let them know to post here.
Thanks.
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 06:56 AM UTC
Holdfast, I really hope this goes ahead. Firstly it will give me the incentive to actually complete a build that I start in a decent time span and secondly it will make the next couple of weeks living on 9 pence tins of baked beans until my credit card payments for the stuff I've bought for this are paid off seem worth it
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
How about Ladymodelbuilder or Tin_Can?
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 10:46 AM UTC
I had showed my interest in the request email that Mal sent in. For the record here in the forum, I'm going to go ahead and do this one. Gives me an excuse to build a spit or something.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 11:18 PM UTC
Good news !
So, that's ten now !
 _GOTOTOP