Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Stuka Build
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi Madwolf. Thanks. The Verlinden box contains their German Aircraft Guns. I used the photo-etch gunsights for the Stuka from their set. It's cool to see everyone's work areas and see how they have them set up. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi Michael

Don't forget to give me a shout when this one's finished! I know the Ju-87 is one of your favourite subjects and you've built a real beauty this time (of course, I expect no less from you!) - I want to see it on the front page as a Feature!

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi Rowan, thank you. I applied the "snow'. I tried a product from TechStar, microballoons.If these are actual balloons, they're the smallest balloons I've ever seen. It didn't take so I went with a white glue layer and then some baking soda. Looks O.K. I"ll paint the edge of the base tonight and then take some final photos after that. I just finished watching Flyboys. I don't know, I think they should keep the love stories out of movies like that. I'm looking forward to that new movie about the Red Baron, I think it's still in production. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Michael,
Another wonderful Stuka, I think that I made a bad decision letting you have the etched flap links, they look good
I'm working on a mask Miracle Masks for the Desert Stuka snake, I will be doing masks for the rest of the markings as well, so let me know if you are interested?
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi Mal. Thanks for the kind words. Thanks again for the actuators, they make a big difference than the molded on affairs on the kit. It will probably be awhile 'till I build another Stuka. I think I'll start that Ju88 next, but I would be interested. I hope everything works out well with your business venture. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hello. Finally finished.

Thanks for looking and following the build log everyone. I think I'll move on the Ju88 Balloon Cutter next.
biplane
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone. I wanted to post some photos of my next build that I started a couple of weeks ago. This build is of my favorite aircraft of WWII, the Stuka. This is the 1/48 scale version from Hasegawa, a D-3. I didn't go crazy on the detail in the cockpit. I added some discs from sheet styrene to the rollbar and some styrene rod to the pilots seat. I didn't attach the machine gun because that is a resin item from Verlinden and I want to see how it's going to fit in the rear sliding canopy. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

biplane
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 01:43 PM UTC
your Stuka looks good. your interior comes out better that mine. I'm not a super detailer though,especially when you can't see much of the interior anyway. Hopefully you will not kit the kit with blackened panel lines, Every real a/c I've seen never has blackened panel lines
Cheers
Bob K.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Every real a/c I've seen never has blackened panel lines
Cheers
Bob K.

Bob,

..most Stukas operating in the depths of a Russian Winter got very black and very dirty indeed

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Every real a/c I've seen never has blackened panel lines

Hi Bob!

Do you mean contemporary warbirds or WW2 combat aircraft? In the latter case there are many picture of planes with blackened panel lines, especially, as Neil mentionned, those with winter wash or light camouflage colors. I even saw pictures of natural aluminium planes with very dark panel lines. In fact it's like weathering and paint chipping, you can find everything and it's contrary in photos of original combat aircraft.

Finally, it's the modeler's choice to apply the finish he/she likes. If the Stuka model would be mine, I would do as Neil suggested. I think it is very well done and the interior is superb, but still too clean for my taste.

Jean-Luc
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words. I can see your point, they do take a beating with the harsh weather and regular servicing. I'm going to keep her the way she is. When I do another aircraft with a winter scheme, I'll make her a bit more weathered. I really like the photo. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
I think you did an enviable job just the way it is. Looking forward to seeing the Balloon Cutter.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 05:06 AM UTC
Wingman, great job. Those winter wash Stuka's are always good to see.

Derek
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hello. Thanks for the nice comments guys. I was a little leary about using baking soda for the snow, but it turned out pretty good. I'm going to start the balloon cutter tonight. The cockpit looks like it's gonna turn out pretty nice. I hope the balloon cutter itself is strong enough that it won't sag, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again to everyone that followed the Stuka build, it you keeps you motivated to keep building after reading everyone's nice comments. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 02:10 AM UTC
Very impressive, Wingman. A good job for sure. It has been fun following your progress.

Interesting about the ballon cutter. I have only seen that on JU88s.

Thanks for sharing - looking forward to see the ballon cutter
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Jesper. Thanks for the kind words and following the Stuka build. I just started the Ju88 Balloon Cutter build. I'll post some photos as I go along. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 02:06 PM UTC
That's one great looking Stuka! I love the winter camo and the weathering effects. As a beginner, I'm sure I can learn a lot from these great builds of yours
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 05:12 PM UTC
Hello. Thank you for the nice comments, you're very kind.The most important thing to remember is to enjoy what you are doing. If I find myself starting to get frustrated and things aren't going right, I stop and continue on another day. Another important thing is to take your time, don't rush it. It takes me a awhile to finish a build. One of the things I like to do before I start a new build is to sit down with the new kit I'm going to start and give it a look over. I might be sitting in front of the T.V. with my new kit and going over the directions and looking at the parts trees and just getting myself familiar with the kit and thinkng what kind of "scene" I would like to put the model in. If you can, get some reference material about the model you'll be building to help you along as far as weathering and accuracy. You can go to the internet for all sorts of information. It sounds like your just starting out. If you can, look at a lot of books and magazines about model building. Look at other builders work, like the great work here on this great website, use some of their ideas and see if they work for your build. Remember, constructive criticism can be a good thing. I said it before, it's great to see and read about other modelers builds and read their comments and how they go about creating their works of art. It's really cool how we can take these boxes of grey plastic parts and glue them together and be proud to show them to fellow builders. I got started building models when I was off of work for 5 months while recovering from burns I received at work. I started on a little tray table in my living room in 1996 and now I have a wonderful work area in our basement[thanks to my very supportive wife, Laura]. I am totally hooked. I have a nice stash of unbuilt models, I'm sure I won't build them all but I'll try. Good luck with your future builds and don't forget to post some of your photos here on Aeroscale so we can see how you are doing. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Removed by original poster on 12/24/07 - 22:10:44 (GMT).
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 03:10 AM UTC
Some great tips there mwolfe, cheers!

As I create a lot of WW2 art and illustrations, I am lucky to have an extensive library. I was building quick, non-painted models for my reference materials, and thought what a waste not to have any of them painted and detailed.

Thus I joined this site and enjoy viewing your wonderful models and reading the helpful tips as you have given above.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hello. Did you think about posting some of your work in the General Aircraft Forum. It might be some inspiration to us in a different way. By the way, I'm a huge fan of aviation artist John Shaw. I have his "Warrior and the Wolfpack" and "Tigers in the Gorge". Google "John D. Shaw and you can see some of his work. The guy is amazing. Hope to see some of your work, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP