Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Stuka Build
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi everyone. I wanted to post some photos of my next build that I started a couple of weeks ago. This build is of my favorite aircraft of WWII, the Stuka. This is the 1/48 scale version from Hasegawa, a D-3. I didn't go crazy on the detail in the cockpit. I added some discs from sheet styrene to the rollbar and some styrene rod to the pilots seat. I didn't attach the machine gun because that is a resin item from Verlinden and I want to see how it's going to fit in the rear sliding canopy. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi Michael!

Very nice start. Looks very good so far!

Are the writings and the red cross in the interior decals or did you paint them? Just curious...

Jean-Luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
Looks cool, wingman.

Looking forward to see more.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC
Looking good, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I have a B2 on the go, desert scheme (snake) and I'm working on sorting out the aileron and flap control linkages. I say working on but I haven't touched it for months, I'll be watching this closely for the inspiration

Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael!

Very nice start. Looks very good so far!

Are the writings and the red cross in the interior decals or did you paint them? Just curious...

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc. Thanks for the kind words. Those are decals I retreived from my spare decal binder, you never know when you're going to have to go back to the spares. I started sanding the seams on the fuselage, that's going very well so far. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks cool, wingman.

Looking forward to see more.

Hi Jesper. Thanks. I should complete the sanding of the seams on the fuselage sometime Tuesday. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I have a B2 on the go, desert scheme (snake) and I'm working on sorting out the aileron and flap control linkages. I say working on but I haven't touched it for months, I'll be watching this closely for the inspiration

Mal

Hi Mal. I have a B-2 in the stash. I'd like to build that one with the yellow nose, I like that scheme. I'm going to cut off the control linkages and probably go with some thin styrene rod or maybe some spare photo-etch if I have some in the spare pile. Like to see your Stuka when it's done. Thanks for the nice comment and thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:39 AM UTC
I have the Edurd PE for mine, but I'm undecided whether or not to use the etched linkages or use wire, as I did on my other desert stuka. If you would like to use the etched linkages that I have you are welcome to them, my mind will then be made up for me Just PM me your address.

Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hi everyone. Been awhile between posts. Here are some photos from the last modelling session. I removed the molded on flap actuators and drilled and filed out the access holes for the photo-etch actuators that Mal had sent me[Thank you sir]. The wing guns were removed and replaced with brass tube from Tarmac. The painting of the spinner and prop blades is complete, need to do a little more weathering on this. The exhaust stacks are resin items from Ultracast.

Thanks for looking everyone, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 04:52 PM UTC
Hello. Here is another update on the Stuka build. I just finished applying yellow to the underside of the wingtips and the fuselage. I will let the model dry for a few days and then apply a Future coat for the decals and then the winter whitewash. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 05:08 PM UTC
Wingman,

Very good build! I will be great to see the winter wash on it.

-Derek
IainArt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
Very neat spinner painting - what method did you use to mask it ?
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wingman,

Very good build! I will be great to see the winter wash on it.

-Derek

Thanks Derek. I'm going to use enamel paint for the whitewash and then use thinner to remove some of the paint. The Future coat should protect the underlying paint from being removed. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very neat spinner painting - what method did you use to mask it ?

Thanks lain. I used very, very narrow strips of Tamiya tape, I'm talking narrow, so it would conform to the curve better,and a lot of putting on and pulling off until I thought it looked right. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 04:10 AM UTC
Good job Wingman. That interior looks soooo real.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good job Wingman. That interior looks soooo real.

Hi Carl. Thanks for the kind words. I really like using Future with a tad bit of India Ink and some Raw Umber artist oil paint[acryllic] for an interior wash in the cockpit. I also like to use it on the interior of gear doors, gear bays. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 09:36 PM UTC
Looks great, Wingman. Really nice job on the camouflage - that splinter camo looks cool.

Thanks for sharing
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great, Wingman. Really nice job on the camouflage - that splinter camo looks cool.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Jesper. I just attached the photo-etch flap actuators[Thank you Mal] and painted them. I'll probably start applying the Aeromaster decals Tuesday. I'll post some photos when the decalling is done. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hello. I just finished applying the Aeromaster Decals[Stuka Bombers Pt.2] and added a Future/India Ink wash to the spat covers. The photo-etch flap actuators[Thanks Mal] are attached and painted. The winter camo is next. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 02:12 PM UTC
Looks great Wingman! I can't wait to see the winter camo on it too.

Allen
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hello. I applied the winter camo scheme with ModelMaster Flat White and light sprays of ModelMaster Light Sea Gray. I used a round blade and a rough piece of sanding stick to wear away the paint. The tail planes were attached and more weathering has to be done. This is my first winter scheme, so honest opinions please, thanks for looking, Wingman out.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hello. Gettin' there. Spinner was attached as was the clear parts which lined up pretty well.Today I used a blown out match to tighten the antenna. Attached the pitot tube and drew out lines to show me where the tires will be leaving their ruts in the snow.

I cut the base out with a jig saw from exterior foam insulation and sanded the edge smooth with fine sandpaper. I had a different white balance set on my camera, that's why they don't look as white as the previous photos. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:33 AM UTC
nice model...

just an impression - and it might even be the pics - but I can't help feeling that your greens were too green - and now they show too strongly through the white - which has taken on a green hue...
I'd have gone for a browny/black wash to 'dirty up' the whole thing...
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi Neil. Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's the white balance setting I used. I'm going to finsh this up in this weekend and shoot a new series of photos, they should look a lot better. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
Nice looking model!

BTW, interestingly enough, I have EVERY single tool and item that you have on your desk except for the memorex cd cover.. mine is TDK!! What is in the Verlinden box?
 _GOTOTOP