_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
When I Flew with. . .Air Campaign 2008
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:54 PM UTC
Excellent! an inspiration in modeling. Thanks Jeff. That put a smile on my face.
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hugh, Stephen,

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated. And Stephen, if I put a smile on your face, then that's all that matters. And that my friend makes me smile.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
After a long and hard fought (losing) battle to make my own decals (running colors, soft or blurred edges) I had to free hand the ones I wanted to make for the aircraft so that makes two projects for next year...how to make my own photo-etch and how to make my own decals. I shall overcome. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy my entry.

Here's my build for the "When I flew with...." Campaign

Tim Macene was born in the mountains of West Virginia in March of 1898. He grew up in a musical family and showed great talent on the stringed instruments of his rural hometown. He was also an excellent marksman gaining experience while hunting in the local mountains. At the outbreak of the war, he and several friends enlisted in the US Navy and were later shipped overseas for duty. While stationed in France, he became fascinated with aircraft and the newly formed air services and trained to be a pilot. While in France, he was also introduced to the vihuela, a small stringed instrument that had been popular in that country before the guitar had been conceived. He was stationed with the US Navy at Dunkirk to patrol and counter the German threat coming from Ostend and Zeebrugge and flew a Hanriot HD.2. Being very active in the local music scene while off duty, Macene adorned his aircraft with a vihuela and musical symbols. Macene was known to fly off on his own to pursue and harass his opponents well into their own airspace and at the end of the war was credited with 3 air victories. Macene stayed in France after the war and became a well known music publisher and historian. He died while on a trip in Italy researching ancient music in 1955.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
Another beauty.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC
Brilliant GuitarLute esp like the treble clef on the rear deck. It's great that we all know who it is from your screen name.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 05:28 PM UTC

Thanks Stephen and JP. That was a fun build. My first campaign. I look forward to the next one.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 03:16 PM UTC
Here are the standings for 11/30/08.

CaptainA - DONE
guitarlute101 - DONE
JackFlash - DONE
jaypee - DONE
Rittersbach - DONE
SGTJKJ - DONE

Campaign Debriefing
So the Campaign comes to an end. I would like to thank everyone who participated and especially those who finished the course. I have no regrets with this one. Sometimes life intervenes and we can't get the job finished in the time alotted. No worries there will be others in the future. My thanks to Jim & Chuck for carving out a bit of Aeroscale to assist in our GB.

As the sunlight glints off my wings I am headed back to the Early Aviation Hangar. Drop by sometime. The coffee's always hot.

JackFlash outbound at angels 3 with frost on my wings and the motor at 16000 rpm. Oil pressure good. Happy Holidays!

_GOTOTOP