_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
When I Flew with. . .Air Campaign 2008
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
Several of you have called for Air Campaign ideas for 2008. For Early Aviation I would like to suggest...

"In Enemy Hands. . . " Real captured aircraft that were used for evals fighter schools by both sides of the lines.1915-1918 I have some great references to share.

"When I Flew with . . ." Pick the real fighter unit you would have flown with and add your own personalized markings Allied or Central powers.

"Enemy Ace vs G-8 and his Battle Aces or Pulp Fiction. . ." Whether its was from the 1930's or the 1960's pulp book or comic book heroes. 1918 Markings per the books you reference.

"Ginger to the rescue. .. " Sign up with either British or German units opposing each other and go up on patrol. Describing the slug fest and try to out do each other. The advantage here is the markings and colour schemes are wide open.

Hollywood Hokum. . ." Pick your favorite stringbag from any movie but it has to represent an aircraft from 1904 -1934. Build it as faithfully to the original or replica as you can.

A stranger in a strange land" Many aircraft went to various countries and wore the markings of countries far from their native soil. These could be purchased by contract or lend lease programs.

Feel free to add your ideas here. we can compile a list and start a campaign in late April 2008. After the contest.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
I like "When I Flew with..."
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 01:21 PM UTC
I'll echo Carl on that one. I have an Albatros DV (dont I always) on my board right now that might get my own personal markings and paint scheme. Havent decided yet. ......Isnt modeling fun!!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:33 PM UTC
Greetings all;

Our good man Treadhead has asked this. . .

Quoted Text

Howdy Stephen,
For my Farthing's worth, I kinda like the " Pulp Fiction " idea.....a blood red von Hammer creation would be most do-able. But, if you are indeed casting a net for potential ideas then I would like to entertain the previously mentioned ' what-if ' train of thought. I have always been intrigued by the overly massive flying monstrosities during these early stages of flight...some of the Italian seaplanes come to mind.

But then there I go over the edge again..........sorry Tread.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
I have added another catagory

Hollywood Hokum. . ." Pick your favorite stringbag from any movie but it has to represent an aircraft from 1904 -1934. Build it as faithfully to the original or replica as you can
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:45 PM UTC
I had an inquiry as to why I did not post this over on the Campaign title.

First we are just gathering some ideas.

Second too many people voted for a subject last time but did not sign up.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
My vote is for "When I Flew with . . . " Lots of potential there for some whacky schemes
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
Stephen,
I finally feel comfortable enough with my builds to enter so I will. My vote goes for the "When I flew with..." as well. I have a good idea for something along those lines. Be prepared to get some boneheaded questions about posting and what not. I'll go over the help section and read up as much as I can but this extra thick cranium can be a tough nut to crack!
Dwayne
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:04 AM UTC
Stephen,

I'd go with "When I flew with..". Since I have yet to build a WWI aircraft, a campaign such as that would help me hide any mistakes! And I have some cool schemes in my head.

-Derek
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
I kind of like the when I flew with Idea. If I have time I will try to enter whatever the theme!
RAGIII
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 08:44 AM UTC
It appears a concensus is forming.

But your campaigns are always among the best, regardles of the theme, Stephen.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 03:59 PM UTC
The early leader does seem to be the WWI catagory "When I Flew with. . . ." Though we are far from a start date. The "Golden Age of the Tweeners" Air Campaign is gearing up for a run through Nov. 07 to April 08.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
Keep this thread in mind for post April 2008. The general consenus so far is "When I flew with"
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
Stephen,

I'd go with "When I flew with....", also. Sounds like fun.

Mark
Draken35akaScimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Namur, Belgium
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 07:02 PM UTC
I vote for "When I flew with..." too. The project was in mind since some months, so the "Campaign 2008" seems to be the occasion to realise MY aircraft...
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:04 AM UTC
Wingnuts,
I know this is off thread but I was unable to post on the proper thread. I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the work that was posted on the "2nd Annual Aeroscale Early Bird Contest 2007" and how great it felt to participate and be considered along with such excellent work. With the help of my fellow wingnuts i hope to be able to improve my skills and maybe place near the top three. Whether I do or not though is not important, just participating in the hobby and having fun building these replicas of the machines that were flown in this era is quite enough for me.
Model on, Dwayne
P.S. Lets get started with the next campaign and everyone have a healthy and safe New Year!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
Now is the time to get serious about this Campaign. If we start in late post April 2008 we will need 10 commits.

As a subject we are looking at;
"When I Flew with . . ." Pick the real fighter unit you would have flown with and add your own personalized markings Allied or Central powers. The others are still posted but this one got the most votes. I'll announce the proposal at the end of january to let everyone else join up. Comments or questions welcomed here.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:37 PM UTC
Id like to participate....by April I should figure out how to post images properly does this mean I cannot enter an airframe with markings portraying an actual WW1 machine?

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Id like to participate....by April I should figure out how to post images properly does this mean I cannot enter an airframe with markings portraying an actual WW1 machine?

It must portray the markings of your machine that you would have flown not an actual pilot. It can have actual camouflage and factory applications. It can have actual unit or that unit's flight markings. But the personal markings are to be your personal identifyers.

"When I Flew with . . ." Pick the real fighter unit you would have flown with and add your own personalized markings Allied or Central powers.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 04:08 PM UTC
Stephen,
Count me in on this one.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keep this thread in mind for post April 2008. The general consenus so far is "When I flew with"

We are still on track for April 2008, "When I flew with. . ." Pick the real fighter unit you would have flown with and add your own personalized markings Allied or Central powers. I was thinking that we could spice this up a bit further and have engines that are a bit out of the normal. See below for what I mean.

I have decided to do two builds for this Campaign. One Allied and one Central Powers.

I am looking at ;
1. SE 5a, Viper 230hp powered (Twin Lewis one Vickersor just twin Vickers) 32 Sqn RAF
2. Sop. 2F.I Bentley 170hp Powered Twin Vickers and or twin Lewis (with a leaning towards an RAF post April 1918 version.) 209 Sqn RAF
3. Fokker Dr.I , 145 hp - 160hp rotary Jasta 36.
4. Fokker D.VII 220hp Mercedes D.IIIavü Jasta 7.

I am pushing the engine horsepower up from known experimental to "what if" for frontline uses. I may change my mind and go back to factory standard. Just exploring the possibilities.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 04:00 PM UTC
So far we have 10 Aeroscale members interested. Thats enough to get this ball rolling. They are;

JackFlash
CaptainA
Rittersbach
BradCancian
Dwaynewilly
Percheron
RAGIII
gituarlute101
Draken35akaScimitar
JimMrr

Camouflage needs to be accurate for the type, Manufacturer and National markings in place. Unit or Fighter wing markings and typical stencils apparent. But Your personal markings are yours alone. Note the Americans and the British were pretty restrictive in these areas. So if you go beyond their boundaries there could be a Group Captain or Major at your hut in the AM hours screaming that your on KP for a month. But then again tell that to 210 RAF.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hmmm,
I will have a look at my stash. There may be something that rattles my chain and I might be free enough by April to join in.

Cheers,

Hugh
Rittersbach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:10 PM UTC
I as others hope that the mystery lozenge developer will have his wares available for this campaign. Wouldnt that be nice. I have been so busy with work and other family things that I have been away from the build board for a couple weeks. I am starting to have withdrawls.

Maybe some caffine would help, or a nice peanut butter and nanner samich to settle my hand. Wait.....what's this I hear....my Pfalz DXII is calling my name. I was about to start applying the lozenge fabric to the wing surfaces, but was secretly hoping that I could use the new decals that we are waiting for. But, I guess I'll have to dig into my Americal stash. I am now thankful that I splurged in late December 06. Has it been that long ago already...

Isnt modeling fun! plus it keeps me out of trouble.....for a little while anyway..
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 02:52 PM UTC
hello Stephen,
dumb question,where do you sign up at and check out the rules and regs.I was on the campaign page and did not see it.
cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP