_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-47 Razorback, Trumpeters
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi Folks
Long time since I posted something on the Aeroscale. But here I’m going wild again.
Having started up the mighty Trumpeter P-47 build this week do I have some days of my work. Lots of gluing before the paintjob, something I like to doe.
There is a ton of pipes, duct inside the fuselage, little scary if it don´t fit the inside, I glued everything up and test fitted, Yes it’s a sanding job to fix before it goes together. Not that muck but to avoid big seams to fill I’m wanting a tight fit on the halves.

Because I’m not going to open this one up, yes it’s a crime with all these nice things inside. I’m just like the P-47 as it is. Ask anybody modeller and they can tell you hove the gunbay looks like anyway.

I’m used oilpaint on outside of the interior then put the fuselage together, The paint was giving me an idea were to sand.

The red arrows gives you were to sand.

Next job that’s been started is the office. Trumpeter gives us modellers a nice cockpit, but you can always put in something more

Stuff like Waldrons placard set will go in and some more wires and handles.
For this one I ask Ms Pandora for some help, And she vacuumed a new seat for me

The first session in the paint box is finished. Some more paint’s will go in but that’s next

Lars q
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:45 AM UTC
WOW, all that ducting and structural detail does seem a shame to cover up, I feel your pain. I admire you patience to deal with all of it, looks great.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC
I am very hapy to see somebody do this kit.

I did a review on it a few weeks ago and plan to build it soon. But other priorities keep popping up. It really looks like it is one of the best Thunderbolts ever produced.

Keep the pictures and comments comming. I think most of us out here in cyberspace are interested in the fit and accuracy of the kit.

Which decal option are you going to use?

Good Luck
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi Carl
I´m going for Kansas tornado II

The next Jug, will be hasegawas with Bull out

cheers
Lars
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi
Time for some small update of the night’s job. Having some days of from work so I can throw in some nasty hours.The new seat from Pandora’s vacbox is sanded out, next step is to some small detail in plasticard.

The inside of the fuselage got some thin paint, and I leave with that.

The engine is build and got the first coat of paint. Still not glued in place, going to plug the wires so I glue it in place later.

for this time
Lars Q
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC
Looking good Lars!
Im going to enjoy watching this come together,especially as you plan to build the Hasegawa offering next as well.It'll be interesting to see how you think the two compare.
Theres a couple of things about this kit that I find interesting, and again lead to inevitable comparisons with the recent Hasegawa kit.
Trumpeter give you a clear cowling, offering the option to see the engine when built,but with so much effort having gone into replicating the supercharger ducting, it would have been nice to see a clear panel in the fusalage offered so that all that superb work can actually be seen.The Hasegawa kits cowling comes in 4 parts,so the option of leaving a panel off,(in a maintanence diorama situation for example)to display more of the ngine,would IMHO appeal more to modellers.
Having said that,the Trumpeter kit comes with gun bays etc,while the Hasegawa one doesnt.It all comes down to personal prefence and of course budget.
One things for certain,,both kits are excellent!
Looking forward to seeing more as the build progresses
I noticed that the Trumpeter kit shows a loop ariel on the boxart and in reviews.Is that an either/or option, as the loop ariels were only fitted to a small amount of Thunderbolts.
Keep up the great job Lars!
Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Nigel
Trumpeter is coming with clear edition of the Me 262. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they doing the same with this one when they delivered the most of the variant you can build. You got a real big box of extras when done with this one.
You have options for
The engine Early/ late front crankcase, woo set of magnetos, two sets of rockercovers.
Guns drilled barrels/not drilled barrels
The loop antenna
The sight Early/new
Four different props

My first sense when I’m looking in the boxes was.
If you don´t like the Trumpeter rivets Go for Hasegawa
If you don´t want the challenge to get it all inside the fuselage, Go for Hasegawa

If you think that Hasegawa would be nice with rivets, go for Trumpeter
If you don´t mind the job of gluing all these ducts and pips in place, Go for Trumpeter.

As I’m still having the Hasegawa to build I’ll be back with my conclusions on that kit. Stefan (Phantom 2) told me that the Hasegawa kit got together like a dream, no worries just gluing. For the moment I’m enjoying the build of the Trumpeter. It’s a really fun kit to build. Personally I’m not that scared of to take some time on a kit to get it together.
I´ve started this build Monday this week and I’m almost in to closing the fuselage. It’s been almost a “speedster” to build so far. (I’m chocking my Swedish friends back home)
Hopefully I’m still having a thing for the big Jug when this razorback is done, so I’ll can get my hands on the Bubbletop.

Lars Q

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:32 PM UTC
Having the final detailjobs on the inside almost done,engine painted and will have some detail wiring.

The inside of the cowling is prepainted, and now it have that yellow cromatefinish.

Still some work to gwt into in the office.This will be painted and redy for th fuselga in the middle of next week.

for this time
happy modelling folks
Lars Q
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 05:21 AM UTC
Looking good Lars!
Still following your build with interest
I picked up the Hasegawa kit today.Looks very big when your used to 1:72
I heard today that there are some panel cutaways for this kit in the pipeline from an AM manufacturer,complete with inner fusalage ribbing
Sounds like a good way to display some of that internal plumbing
Keep up the good work.
Nige
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 04:05 PM UTC
Nice work. Very nice indeed.

I'm curious as to why you made a vacuumformed copy of the seat. Was there something wrong with the original seat??

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hi Mark
There is nothing wrong with the kitseat. The lacks of some detail, okay but it will do the job for you mate.
Just in my eyes it was a little bit narrow and a little thick on the edges, so I have an old vacbox and sometimes want to use it, and I did. This old school method is jus outstanding when it comes to engine cowlings on WW1 models. These kits come almost always with cowlings too thick and as the modeller have to wreck that nice engine because it wouldn’t fit inside that cowling. Here’s the vacbox is mighty tool if you have one. All you need is to sand down the thickness you need for the new cowling and vac a new that will fit to the fuselage and in the same time take onboard that lovely engine. And off course if you have the skill, use it.
So for me I’d had to make one new seat. In my world of modelling I believe that the engine or cockpit is the “face” or “soul” of the model. There’s where other modellers eyes goes looking to see if there is a good build or not. So for me, I pay some extra attention in these areas.
But all this just what’s goes around in my head so please don´t go ballistic anyone..
Cheers
Lars Q
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi
Is there anyone who can explain how the linkage to the cowlingflaps is operated and how the linkage look like? I’m in for the opening flaps for the engine and can’t find any sharp pics of these details.
Cheers
Lars Q
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
Is there anyone who can explain how the linkage to the cowlingflaps is operated and how the linkage look like? I’m in for the opening flaps for the engine and can’t find any sharp pics of these details.
Cheers
Lars Q

Hi Lars.
Ive had a good look through my references and this is a tough one
You may have noticed on photos of Thunderbolts with the cowling and other panels removed that the cowling flaps are still in place. It looks as though they were attached to a ring and metal actuators pushed them open and pulled them closed.
These are the best 2 images I can find Im afraid. Your best bet would be to find pictures of a preserved aircraft being rebuilt I guess

Slightly off topic, but note the blister perspex section fitted to the Razorback canopy in the 2nd photo
Hope this points you in the right direction.
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
Looks good, Lars I will follow this one with interest. Outstanding profile you have choosen for your bird.

Looking forward to see more
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:40 PM UTC
This should help a lot more Lars

Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC
Bingo
Thanks, that will do the trick,perfect.

Lars
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Cockpit almost finished almost everything is painted and weathered. Will assembly the office this weekend. I’m going too use Mike’s instrument decals and Eduards Seatbelts. The acetatefilm you got from Trumpeter is a very nice thin, but the transparent panel has sadly not clear lenses for it so you can’t see the instruments as clear as you would like to. Eduards belt are much better then the kits.
Lars

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:04 PM UTC
Still watching this build very closely. I have one build to finish, one build to do, then I'm free to build whatever I want. It might be this one.

Any detail kits in the pipeline for this one?
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2007 - 09:43 PM UTC
Hi Carl
Sorry for not posting, but been busy with everything else but modelling for a week. For what I know there are no detail kits coming for this one yet, except those nice resin wheels from Contact Resine or Master Caster. These are made for the Hasegawa kit, but I think the wheels will also fit the Trumpeter kit. What are you looking for; you got almost everything you need in this box. Perhaps the best thing is that SIG Nigel started up, hopefully we can get all those diagrams for the thin pipelines and wires that missing in the kit. If so we all can cut up this kit to a real nice Christmas calendars.
Next week I’m in for some quality time on Razorback, so watch out for new updates.

All the best
Larsa
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
I'm not really looking for anything specific. I do like the Eduard sets for the instrument panel. In a big bird like this, they will make a noticable difference. The wheels probably do need to be weighted though.

That was just a general question and not specifically addressed to you.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 01:44 AM UTC
Yes I can agree with that. The other bits in this kit are all that you need. Personally I would wish for a Malcolmhood, which would be the perfect match for a different touch.
I can’t think of anything else that Eduards is coming with the usual stuff for this machine.
Lars
ps Resin wheels for this one is ordered from Spada decals. Marc have contact resines range of wheels. at leats for the JUG.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hi folks
I’m back to the hobby bench again.I have got the seat belts in place (used Eduards US set 32 506) and going to add some cables in the back of the instrument panel.
I used Mike Grants instrument decal for WW2 aircraft on the panel. Last thing is to paint the sight and give the interior a satin finish with the airbrush.

Later this week I’ll get the fuselage halves together with some glue, then is the downhill race to the paintboth.
For this time

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi Lars.
Stunning cockpit!
Looking forward to seeing this progress.
Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 06:06 AM UTC
thanks for the comments, It´s always nice to get some input on the work. Tomorrow I´m of from the work, so that will give me 8-9 hours worjking on this one. So I´ll sending in some photos tomorrow night

Larsa
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC
Great to see more photos.

There is never enough time to build, is there?
 _GOTOTOP