_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Shipshape in Bristol Fashion.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
I have been asked what scheme I will go with. I pondered each for their unique history and color markings. I decided to go with Bristol F.2B, D-8063 from 139 Sqn, RAF Italian front, summer 1918. Along with its regular service this machine was used when Major W.G. Barker took HRH the Prince of Wales on a familiarization flight. I liked the four bladed propeller configuration. I will be using the kit propeller.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
G'day Stephen - thanks for inviting me to contribute to this thread

My build of the Roden F2b (Arab) has been stalled for a while, patiently awaiting the day I have the courage to continue with it!!

That said, I have tackled the engine compartment. Roden provide you with the basics for quite a nice engine compartment, however there are still a number of notable omissions, namely there is no real detail on the back side of the radiator and no detail to speak of on the firewall. I must admit that most of my additions were creative "gizmology" as I had no real references of the installed engine to go with... most of the additions were gleaned from the spares box or scratch built.

I have also decided to have the fuselage "naked" - ie I am building the kit with the "fabric removed". All I really have done so far is the frame.

The project has stalled as I am still planning exactly how I am going to finish it, plus other projects got in the way etc etc... still, I will try and get the thing finished some time in the next year!!

BC
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 04:54 AM UTC
Brad, your gizmology is very convincing.
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brad, your gizmology is very convincing.

Isn't it just amazing. The paint job is what does it for me. I think Brad needs to do a step by step painting tute to tell us all how we can get as realistic results as he does.
And the fuselage framing... well, what can I say? This build promises to be an absolute show stopper. If i didn't understand completely why Brad feels the need to have a break from this with an OOB build or two, I would be very dissapointed that he isn't still hunched over the bench with optivisor firmly clamped to his forhead.

Brad, you are seriously an inspiration.

Cheers,

Hugh
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 09:18 AM UTC
I just wish my stalled projects looked as good!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 01:50 PM UTC
The pilot's left side of the airframe.

Bristol F.2B, D-8063 from 139 Sqn, RAF Italian front, summer 1918. Along with its regular service this machine was used when Major W.G. Barker took HRH the Prince of Wales on a familiarization flight.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 07:30 PM UTC
The pilot's right side of the ship.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 07:34 PM UTC

Here are some close ups of the gun pit.

MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:10 PM UTC
Stephen, congratulations!
That looks sensational.
A big Well done.

Cheers,

Hugh
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
Looks awesome as usual Stephen... where do you find the time to build so many kits??!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thanks Hugh & Brad! Two top notch blokes like yourselves chatting me up, Cooo I am on top of the world! Really gents thanks! Where do I find the time. . . .? Oh yes you don't know about my evil twin, Eyegor. Good fellow but a horse clouted his noggin when he was in shortpants and he has a single minded attitude about building. I pick up when he nods off.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hey Stephen, can I hire Eyegor when you are not requiring his services? I think he could give me a tip or two!!

On a side note, your fantastic build has spurred me on to dig out the Bristol again and start doing some more work - I picked up both volumes of the Datafile special on the F2b over the weekend and it was full of goodies and structural diagrams - which was great, until I discovered that the plans I HAD been using for the fuselage framing was particularly bad dimension wise.... darn. I was wonderring why the vertical fin didn't line with the stringers... Some rather extensive re-work has fixed that problem... I have been eyeing off the structural drawings for the flying surfaces and having some ideas too.... Am I brave enough??

BC
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:43 PM UTC
Oh yes, you are Brad. If anyone can do it, you can.
I am going to take a punt here and guess that if you were not originally using the Datafile drawings then you were using the William Wylam drawings. Woops.
Nevertheless, as I have had simmilar issues with my BE2c, I understand fully.
I await most eagerly and undate on your Brisfit... Most eagerly indeed. My Brad Cancian folder needs filling up.

Cheers,

Hugh
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
G'day Hugh - I just cheked and they were indeed the William Wylam drawings... d'oh! I'd recognised the errors at the front end of the aircraft in his drawings but not the back end... It's a shame as the drawings were so nicely done. I guess it's a word of warning to others planning on using the drawings!

Yes, I am kicking myself, but I've dug the heels in and basically rebuilt the rear fuselage... sigh... but at least everything at the back end of the aircraft seems to line up now!

BC
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 09:30 AM UTC
G'day back Brad.

I know the feeling.
And you try to put off doing the rebuild because the anticipation of it is just sooo damned unnatractive. And then you decide to buckle down, it takes you half the time that the original did and you are infinitely more pleased with the result.

Photos please!

Re Wylam drawings. Some of them are not too bad, if you can get over the fact that they guy couldn't recognise a Datum if it bit him on the fundament. His dimensions are, to be kind, free with the facts.

Cheers,

Hugh
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 07:37 PM UTC
Stephen (and Brad, too!), just amazing work! I don't know what else to say! The level of expertise is off the chart!

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to burn my model collection, and the unbuilt kits, too!

Regards-
Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
Many thanks for the kind words.

For those interested I put the long version up on my website in both Download and CD version.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
Speaking of Bristol F.2b types. Here is a Part of Poland set with some Roden parts. Will be doing more to put in a diorama. Rememer the propellers from the thread "One good turn deserves. . ." The laminations go to opposing sides because one is a left hand and one is a right hand.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
The good folks at Roden have put up some of this thread's build images. See them at;
http://www.roden.eu/Gallery/425/425.htm
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi
here my Bristol, more than halfway thrue the build. The build itself is for another modellingsite on the net, so you have to wait some more before I sending up pics,
it´s Eduards Crocodile in 48 scale OOB.

Larsa Q
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Larsa, Nicely Done!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
Just finished repairing some broken liks to this thread. Most images are also now upto the 800 wide or 600 tall specs.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 02:31 PM UTC
Stephen. As far as I'm concerned you can quote Shelley's Ozymandias with a straight face.

If there is ever built a telescope so powerful as to see beyond time itself. Past the veil of creation and into the instant before the big bang. It would see nothing to impress me more than this Bristol.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen. As far as I'm concerned you can quote Shelley's Ozymandias with a straight face.

If there is ever built a telescope so powerful as to see beyond time itself. Past the veil of creation and into the instant before the big bang. It would see nothing to impress me more than this Bristol.

Gadzooks and hot marimba! You should read my poem on the Battle Axe 1:32 Fokker D.VII. But I'll give Ozymandias a try. My version is called "My name is stubby"

Quoted Text

"I met a modeller from an antiquing land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them up and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of disambugation:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare (no need for a loin cloth) The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Model on!
 _GOTOTOP