World War II: USA
Aircraft of the United States in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-47 Halesworth Museum Presentation Piece.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 05:41 AM UTC
inspirational Nige ...look forward to the rest of the build ...I do like these 'historical' projects ...some more views of Halesworth and the Museum would be nice when you next post if at all poss...I take it the museum doesn't re-open to Joe public until April at the earliest ..?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

inspirational Nige ...look forward to the rest of the build ...I do like these 'historical' projects ...some more views of Halesworth and the Museum would be nice when you next post if at all poss...I take it the museum doesn't re-open to Joe public until April at the earliest ..?

Hi Neil,
The museum does indeed reopen in April, and I hope to have the finished project there for opening day.
Im happy to report that I managed to pick up a set of canopy masks from Parabellum in Birmingham today However,,I wont be home until Jan 7th
Seeing as you asked so nicely,heres another photo from Halesworth as it is today. Next time I visit I intend to spend at least a couple of days there and having a really good look around the area.At 350 miles round trip its a bit much to do in one day.
This is looking down one of the runways.Im not too sure of the direction as I didnt have my compass with me that day.

Part of the perimeter track.

And a couple of shots of the 56FG memorial. There are 3 memorials on the museum site.

Now I have the camopy masks I can finally get the olive drab sprayed on when I get home, and really get stuck into the build, unless of course, I end up going straight onto another tour!
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
Gasp,,shock,horror
At long last Ive finally managed to have a few hours at the bench!
The olive drab is on and "faded".I'll let this dry overnight and then Klear it. Its going to be good to get some protection on the paint as its been on there a couple of months.
Next job will be to finish painting the flaps and add the white bands on the tail and cowling.
I might even get some decals on this before I go out on tour again if im lucky.

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 09:59 AM UTC
Still got the white bands on the starboard side of the rudder and underneath the stabilisers to mask and spray but thought Id post a couple of pics at close of play today.

Flaps and undercarriage are just dry fitted.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
A good day today.
The main decals are on. Ive still got the stencils to apply but I can do that over the weekend.
Its always a bit of a nervewracking time for me when I apply the decals, especially when they are AM and I have no spares.
But thankfully there were no problems on this build and the P-47 now has its identity.
41-6326 UN-Y

Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Looks great! Especially the faded effect!

I don't know if you already mentioned it, but do you plan to do a base or diorama?

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nigel!

Looks great! Especially the faded effect!

I don't know if you already mentioned it, but do you plan to do a base or diorama?

Jean-Luc

Thanks Jean-Luc.
The plan is to display it on a plain polished wood base with a nameplate and perhaps a photo of Bunny Comstock with his P-47.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
Stencil decals,,,hundreds of 'em!
Well thats what it seemed like as I was wading my way through them. About 60 altogether in the end, but at least they are now on finally after about 5 hours at the bench.

Im going back to 1:72 after this. The decals are a smaller and theres a lot less of them
Nige
glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 04:18 PM UTC
Wow Nige, That is looking awesome!! A really nice job!

I noticed you just used the canopy to mask the cockpit for painting. Are you going to be displaying it with cockpit closed or will you open it back up?

Hope all is well.
Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Nige, That is looking awesome!! A really nice job!

I noticed you just used the canopy to mask the cockpit for painting. Are you going to be displaying it with cockpit closed or will you open it back up?

Hope all is well.
Allen

Hi Allen!
Thanks a lot. Im really pleased with how its progressing. Slower than I would have liked due to work commitments but still on schedule to be taken down to the museum in April sometime.
Wheres your Razorback?,,someone was asking in the thread what progress had been made.
I will indeed be displaying the finished model with the cockpit open.
I have two reasons for having the canopy in place when I spray the model.
Firstly, its such a good fit that it can sit in place without any glue and saves me having to mask the interior
Secondly,, and the main reason, is that with the canopy in place when I spray the olive drab and the subsequent "fading" stages, the canopy frames are blended in with the rest of the airframe.
I finally got myself a copy of "Laughter And Tears"
Nige
glamdring
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wheres your Razorback?,,someone was asking in the thread what progress had been made.

I will indeed be displaying the finished model with the cockpit open.
I have two reasons for having the canopy in place when I spray the model.
Firstly, its such a good fit that it can sit in place without any glue and saves me having to mask the interior
Secondly,, and the main reason, is that with the canopy in place when I spray the olive drab and the subsequent "fading" stages, the canopy frames are blended in with the rest of the airframe.

I finally got myself a copy of "Laughter And Tears"
Nige

Yeah, mine is coming along very slowly. I will try to get the post updated later tonight.

I'm glad to hear about the canopy. First because I was hoping you would show off the cockpit detail and second because I hadn't dry fit mine and was hoping it would fit tight and still be removeable after painting. I am wanting to paint mine at the same time as the main p-47 for the same reasons as you.

Isn't Laughter and Tears great? As soon as I got it I started dreaming of doing a diorama of the picture of him painting cowlings on a day they couldn't fly. I figure you could have the p-47 with the cowling removed and some additional engine / interior details, Two figures - 1 george rarey and the other a pilot of __ p-47. Then create and print a 1/2 done decal to make it look like the nose art in in-progress. - A dream. One I'll probably never do, but I think it would be pretty cool.

Well I hope all is well, and, again, yours is looking pretty sweet!
Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 02:50 AM UTC
Back from my latest tour and a whole week free before Im off again!
This is supposed to be a "quiet" time of the year traditionally but someone forgot!
I was planning on starting the oil washes the day I got back, but then realised that if I did they wouldnt be dry in time for the Milton Keynes show, ( Im taking it down as a W.I.P),and I didnt want to risk getting dust and general crap into the oil wash so I elected to start the oil washes after MK and use the couple of days before Sunday to work on the odds n sods. (oh yeah,,decorate the living room as well! )
So,,a small progress pic of my small progress!

Im hoping to get this finished in the next week, otherwise its going to be March.
I still need to get a base for it and also sort out getting a plaque made before it goes to its future home.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 05:38 AM UTC
Fresh back from its day out at the Milton Keynes show, the razorback is back on the bench.
Oil washes, with a heavily diluted burnt umber, have been applied top and bottom.
Wiping the wash off has added to the fading effect and started to take the shine off the decals and white bands.

Once the wash is dry, the next step will further blend everything together.

Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 05:38 AM UTC
Big day today and the finishing post is rapidly looming into sight at last!
The T'bolt has been matt varnished and all thats left is to add the last couple of bits and pieces and a bit of weathering. Should be done tomorrow
First thing I read on Aeroscale this morning was the P47 canopy shattered thread, which made great reading as I was dreading releasing the canopy on mine!, although it wasnt glued,all those coats of paint and Klear have a certain adhesive factor!
After 10 minutes or so of gentle persuasion it all finally came away cleanly

Hints and tips time
My research showed that Bunnys P-47 was one of the ones fitted with a whip ariel instead of the standard mast.
Thanks to Mal Mayfield (Holdfast) for this highly recommended solution! a 0.3mm hole and the hair from a standard household paintbrush.

Biggest advantage....................................

Nige
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:28 PM UTC
The antenna is a great idea. Have to use that one. Any way she looks great. Can't wait to see her all finished up.

I must say I like the idea of a nose art in progress. It would be cool as a vignette. A large scale figure, say 1/32, painting nose art on a large panel. Maybe even the whole nose section? I can see it now. Very neat idea. Does any one make large scale American or British WWII groundcrew?

-Matt
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 06:44 PM UTC
Finished.
Im going to leave it alone now for a couple of weeks, and then go back and look with fresh eyes and see if theres anything that I need to touch up before I take it to the museum.
Time to order the plaque and get a base polished up.
I'll have a proper photoshoot when its on the base and ready to go.

Nige
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 08:44 PM UTC
She's a beauty. Another very handsome razor back joins the ranks. The only thing I could see you maybe adding would be a few small paint chips or scratches near the wing root. Of course that's entirely up to you. She looks great as is.

-Matt
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:41 PM UTC
She's a Beaute Nige! Glad to see her done. I'll have to try that antenna whip idea! What did you use for a matte coat?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 07:54 PM UTC
Thanks guys
Matt. When the varnish has cured properly I'll add some scratches. If you do that too early the silver pencil tends to dig into the varnish Ive found.
Eric. The matt varnish is Humbrol from a rattlecan, but Im not totally happy with the results Ive been getting from it and Ive orded a different varnish which Im going to try on my next build.
Ive ordered the plaque for the base today.
Off on tour again soon for a couple of weeks and then I'll be taking the Jug down to Halesworth.
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:39 PM UTC
Im looking at different options for displaying the P-47.
Four options for the base/plaque.
The first two photos are on a square base, the last two on a rectangular base.

Which do you prefer,or does anyone have any suggestions for something different?

Must get round to putting those decals on the prop blades,,

Nige
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:12 AM UTC
I'm all for the third one. The first one just doesn't look right, just kinda like it doesn't fit on the base. but I like how you have the plane arranged for 1 and 3 because it almost looks as if the plane is inviting you in to take a look. does that sound stupid?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi Nigel!

For me it's the third one as well...

Jean-Luc
glamdring
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
Wow Nige!

I love it!
Once you put the flat coat on, it looks awesome and all of the fading really blends nicely.
Also, thanks for the whip antenna tip - very good one, and one that'll get used...

You've probably already decided on the display, but I'm for #3 as well.

Hope all is well.
Allen
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
Option #3 it is,although I found a new base today. The same size but a nicer piece of wood. ( Polished with the grain showing ).
As of this evening the P-47 is boxed up ready to go to Halesworth. I will do a photoshoot on its new base before it goes.Plan is to take it down there next week work permitting.
I took it along to the Wakefield IPMS show in Huddersfield today so Holdfast and a few other "Bulldogs" could see it before I give it to the museum, and was very happy when it took 2nd place in the 1:48th class!
Nige
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 08:38 PM UTC
I personally like number 2 best, but 3 does show off the side of the fuselage and detailing more. That brass plate with the details is a great touch!

Congrats on the 2nd place in the competition.

Alex