_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aces High Approved
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC
The "Aces High Campaign" has been approved to start in April 2008.
Here is a link to the finished model Gallery Aces High Gallery

Link to Gallery

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi Chuck

Cool! I'll also try to join in if I get a chance.

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:33 AM UTC
Excellent!
Thanks for the helping hand with the editing Chuck
A bit early for a link to the finished gallery though,,lol
Heres a link to the main campaign page.
ACES HIGH CAMPAIGN PAGE
Nige
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
You got me. I just enlisted. I will be really busy for the next few months. But this is really to good to pass up.

Would Erich Hartmann and his Me 109 qualify?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course!,,dont forget the photo of the real thing to accompany the finished entry though
Nige
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 08:09 PM UTC
Nige - the link to the Gallery was so you would know where it is
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:35 PM UTC
I've decided that my prefered subject for this campaign is to be the Fokker DVII F of Oblt. Bruno Loerzer. But searching the interenet so far has not resulted in any photo of this aircraft.

Anyone seen a pic anywhere, even in one of those Osprey Aces books? It must be his later BMW powered aircraft and not his earlier Fokker built (i believe) aircraft.

Andrew
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi all!

Signing on!

Cheers!

Stefan E
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
Welcome on board everyone!
14 so far and climbing!
Spread the word
Nige
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:34 PM UTC
I was planning on doing a 1/48 version of the legendary VPAF fighter pilot Colonel Tomb. I do understand that some believe he is actually a mythical figure but there is photos of a Mig-21PF with 13 "kill" markings (most likely propaganda but it's still a "real" pic!)

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi guys

Here are some banners that might help spread the word about this campaign. Hope you like them.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/Aceshigh2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/ACESHIGH1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/AcesHigh.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/ACESHIGH3.jpg
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:52 AM UTC
HI Calvin.
Id certain allow your entry so no problem there
Jesper.
Did you read my mind? I was thinking of asking you if you could put some banners together for me, as I dont have the expertise and Im up to my neck in work at the moment.
We are standing at 18 people signed up for the campaign as of today.
It would nice to make 20 by Xmas and 25 by the New Year
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper.
Did you read my mind? I was thinking of asking you if you could put some banners together for me, as I dont have the expertise and Im up to my neck in work at the moment.
Nige

Yes, I read your mind. It is fantastic how well telepathic powers work

On a serious note, I think this is a great campaign idea and has much more potential than the 18 participants so far. Maybe even some guys from the other kitmaker forums could be interested.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are some banners that might help spread the word about this campaign. Hope you like them

Jesper! Couldn't you make a course, "Photoshop for Aeroscalers"? Look at my pathetic banner... The one for the Spitfire build was OK but this one is worse than worst...

Magnus
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jesper.
Nige

Yes, I read your mind. It is fantastic how well telepathic powers work

On a serious note, I think this is a great campaign idea and has much more potential than the 18 participants so far. Maybe even some guys from the other kitmaker forums could be interested.

Thanks Jesper.
Im really looking forward to it starting.
If anyones wondering why I selected April through September for the campaign period and not earlier in the year its because Im usually so busy with work from Sept-June that it should give me a window to actually build something for my own campaign. ( Although I could always ask myself for an extension )
I intend to start a "pre campaign" thread early in the new year to continue the build up.
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper! Couldn't you make a course, "Photoshop for Aeroscalers"? Look at my pathetic banner... The one for the Spitfire build was OK but this one is worse than worst...

Magnus

Well, I am not actually using photoshop, but a free shareware program called Paint net. You can get it HERE
Basically you should just remember that the banner should always be 468 x 60 pixels to avoid being distorded. This also goes for the pictures that you add to the banner to avoid distortion.

Otherwise check the tutorials HERE I have never used them as the program is easy and simple to use. nothing extraordinary, but free and perfect for the simple tasks such as banners and ribbons. Hope this helps

Magnus, if you have any urgent needs, just PM me and you can send me the pictures and I can fix a banner for you.
lodni_k
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:08 AM UTC
Cool! Now I just have to figure out which kit to use. I got an OEZ Mig and an Academy Mig, though I think the OEZ is a -MF and the actual a/c was a PF. Hummm.....time for some research b4 I go on vacation!
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carl,

...I guess that was a little tongue in cheek ..but to answer your question, I'd say not if you decorate the tail with the '352' ...no photo - aside from the fact that it might not even have happened. The highest victory tally appearing on one of Hartmann's rudders is 123 ( G-6 WNr. 20499 "Yellow 1" Dicker Max, as Staka 9./JG 52 ). You might have seen a recent article in French magazine 'Le Fana' summarising recent research entitled 'Hartmann's claims disputed - 352 or ..80 ?' Here's a couple of pages from my site detailing what we really know about Hartmann's 109s (those with kill markings at any rate..) and some comments about his claims...

Hartmann's claims disputed - 352 or 80...?

Last kill of the blonde knight

...I've enlisted ..inspired by the the T-Bolt SIG I'll probably do Robert Johnson's 'Penrod & Sam' with 25 Balkenkreuze under the cockpit....

thanks for the banners Jesper - got one installed on my home page already ..cheers
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi Neil

thank you for the link to your "Hartmann in review" article ... very interesting.

Re high scores/claims I would like to add (maybe I have just over read it on your site) that a German pilot was sent to front and stayed in combat until he died or was severely wounded - with one or another break of course - many examples can be found in Prien's works. I would especially point to Heinz Bär's fate with JG 77 (and Steinhoff in command) ... sadly he used up his luck during the war ... Hope there will be a good biography on him one day (wasn't there a Czech writer who wanted to publish something?)

OTOH there are also pilots who stayed in combat the whole war and did score "normally", e.g. Karl Borris, or just managed to stay alive, which was an achievement already (lacking names here, but there where "some")

best wishes and a happy new year

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC

thanks Steffen,

..what subject have you chosen for this campaign ...

ich wünsche dir auch einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hi Neil

I have not chosen yet .. as I build a lot of aces, I also have a loong list to choose from. Maybe we get some interesting stuff next year e.g. there is a new Mossie in 48scale, the new Eduard Hellcat and a large stash in the backyard ... or just a plain 190 .. maybe Hackl ... as I said: hard decision...

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
Neil, glad that you liked the banners

Interesting to read about the dispute over Hartman. I guess nobody will ever know. Anyway, there is a lot of "politics" and national pride involved in this, so various historians is themselves in my opinion not objective.

There were some cool aces and aircraft among the Luftwaffe, so I will probably go for a Bf 109 or a FW 190. Maybe even Wick, which is supposed to be one of the biggest "experten" liers hugely inflating his claims, although again the truth will probably never be known.

Happy New Year!
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, there is a lot of "politics" and national pride involved in this, so various historians is themselves in my opinion not objective.

There were some cool aces and aircraft among the Luftwaffe, so I will probably go for a Bf 109 or a FW 190. Maybe even Wick, which is supposed to be one of the biggest "experten" liers hugely inflating his claims, although again the truth will probably never be known.

Happy New Year!

Very well said Jesper. There will never be unbiased views on this type of thing because of politics and national pride.

And lets not forget the greatest fraud of them all was certainly a Commonwealth pilot and not German- Billy Bishop who even won a VC entirely based upon a verbal story of an event with no witnesses. Which isn't even meant to be possible.

Andrew
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe even Wick, which is supposed to be one of the biggest "experten" liars hugely inflating his claims, although again the truth will probably never be known.

..actually Wick doesn't come off too badly in Erik Mombeeck's recent study of JG 2 ..but his story is quite amazing ....one of the first JG 2 Richthofen pilots to be successful in WW II as an obscure Rottenführer, he would rapidly become a household name in Germany as he was promoted to the post of Geschwaderkommmodore JG 2 within a matter of months.…during this period he flew at least four differently marked Emils....(actually they might well have been the same machine + a reserve, with markings over-painted as he moved through the ranks ...)

good choice for the campaign..!

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi all.
Good to see that the campaign is encouraging research and healthy debate
This side of the hobby,while not for everybody, is certainly one of the most rewarding parts for me.
19 members signed up so far, and I havent started "promotion" yet,,so looking quite good.
Hey,,weve even got Neil doing P-47 research!!
Nige
 _GOTOTOP