Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aces High Approved
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hi Gents,

Just signed up, havent made a plane in about 15 or so years. I do tanks and wargaming ones at that, so looking forward to something different. Actually i've had the itch to do something with wings for some time now so the timing is great.

cheers
Brent

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gents,

Just signed up, havent made a plane in about 15 or so years. I do tanks and wargaming ones at that, so looking forward to something different. Actually i've had the itch to do something with wings for some time now so the timing is great.

cheers
Brent

Welcome to Aces High Brent
Any ideas what you will be building yet?
Nige

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
Welcome on board, Brent. I have seen some of your excellent work on Armorama. I am looking forward to see what you can do when the tanks suddenly get wings

Are you staying with the wargames scale? - then you could do a whole geschwader
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
Neil

Thanks for the info. I knew bits and pieces of that info, but really appreciate it as most of the information was unknown to me. I knew he never had 352 on his rudder since his last victory was on the last day of the war. Actually afyer the end of the war, and the Russian Pilot was doing a victory roll. With what you posted, that info might also be wrong. But as you said, we will never know.

So where are the pictures of his aircraft. I haven't really found any suitable ones yet.

Thanks again
redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 09:15 AM UTC
Quick querry WWI planes had no kill marks would plane at a certain victory qualify? Never mind I guess I should have read the rules section, anyway I'm in Wicks last or a biplane.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
I have a closet full of Eduard 190s. Anton Hackl's aircraft would certainly qualify for this campaign. Erich Hartmans 109s would also qualify.

Does anybody out there have photos of these?
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 01:13 PM UTC
Been researching for a 109A, this is a great site for BF-109s http://www.bf-109.com/
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
I agree. It is a good site.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
hey nigel, quick question for you. I've always been a fan of Robin Olds and his Phantom from Vietnam, but I believe that he never really acknowledged his 5th kill and those from then on. Would it still be alright to model his plane without all of the kill markings, even though he did really become an ace? I can even get pics of the aircraft myself for about a 5 minute drive!!!

If not, I'm thinking Eddie Rickenbacker needs a tribute in my home...
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC
I've signed up.

I'll probably be boring and do a p-51D though. I have all the bits and decals assembled to do "Hoo Flung Dung/City of Paris", flown by Maj. Robert McWherter, 382nd FS.

It'll be the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit with mods.

That could change though...
Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi,

here's my entry:
La-7 flown by twice HSU, Aleksei Vasilievich Alelyukhin

I barely started it for the VVS campaign.
Here's a photo of it's state now.:

If it's OK I'll restart it on april 1st.

All the best.

Jean
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey nigel, quick question for you. I've always been a fan of Robin Olds and his Phantom from Vietnam, but I believe that he never really acknowledged his 5th kill and those from then on. Would it still be alright to model his plane without all of the kill markings, even though he did really become an ace? I can even get pics of the aircraft myself for about a 5 minute drive!!!

If not, I'm thinking Eddie Rickenbacker needs a tribute in my home...

Hi Eric.
I would say that the Robin Olds Phantom would fall into the category of Ace status but known to not have exhibited kill markings so therefore would certainly qualify for the campaign.
Vance.
Welcome onboard, theres nothing boring about a P51

Jean.
If you promise not to go near it again until April 1st I'll be happy to allow your La-7

We are up to 28 signed up entrants now and still over 2 months before the start date.

Nige
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a closet full of Eduard 190s. Anton Hackl's aircraft would certainly qualify for this campaign. Erich Hartmans 109s would also qualify.

Does anybody out there have photos of these?

....Hackl's 190 is a great subject - here's one I have in my collection

and plenty of pics in this book ...

Apex1701
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hi Nigel,

(Nigel)
If you promise not to go near it again until April 1st I'll be happy to allow your La-7
(Jean)
No problem I'm currently working on a South-Front Yak-1.
The La-7 will wait.
Thanks.

Jean

redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:40 PM UTC
I'll probably go with one of Wick's mounts or my call sign in 32nd.
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:04 AM UTC
I'll sign up to this one as it has the opportunity to be a very interesting subject.

No idea what i'll have a go at although I am tempted to do something I haven't done before.

I do know my output won't hit the dizzy heights we see on a regular basis on here, but I expect to learn a lot along the way
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll sign up to this one as it has the opportunity to be a very interesting subject.

No idea what i'll have a go at although I am tempted to do something I haven't done before.

I do know my output won't hit the dizzy heights we see on a regular basis on here, but I expect to learn a lot along the way

Thats what this site and the campaigns are all about.
Having fun,enjoying the hobby and learning something along the way.
Oh yeah,,dont forget meeting up with fellow plastic bashers.
Welcome to the Aces High Campaign
Nige
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Nigel and everybody.

It seems like this years campaigns folds neatly into my plan, so I've joined up here to make a Bf 109. I'm not sure if I'll go for Wicks E or Marseilles F but I'm game.

Too bad though that none of our swedish boys that enlisted in the Russo-Finish winter war scored ace. I reckon the best player got 3 in his Gladiator on skis.

Anyway, I'll go researching to make my mind up, but I'll be back in time for the startup!
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always been a fan of Robin Olds and his Phantom from Vietnam, but I believe that he never really acknowledged his 5th kill and those from then on. Would it still be alright to model his plane without all of the kill markings, even though he did really become an ace? I can even get pics of the aircraft myself for about a 5 minute drive!!!

Hello Eric,

If you just want to model an aircraft flown by Olds in combat he made ace also with the P-38 Lightning (5 Victories), P-51 (8 Victories) I guess he had only four confirmed victories with the Phantom. 17 confirmed victories spanning over twenty years with vastly different aircraft is no small feat. He certainly deserves to have any of the aircraft he flew modeled. By the way excellent choice of an Ace!

Sincerely,
Brian
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
has anyone seen any decals for markings of ANY of Robin Old's planes? I believe they were like Scat IV (the P-38), Scat XII( the P-51), and Scat XXVII is his Phantom. I've been looking frantically for ANY of them, and I can't seem to find any. none from Aero or Eagle.

Let me know if you guys know of something. Thanks!
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

has anyone seen any decals for markings of ANY of Robin Old's planes?

Hello Eric,

Scat III is the P-38 he scored with, Scat IV is the Mustang he scored with, I do not know the number of the F4.

Here is some replicas of the aircraft flown by Brigadier General Olds

Sincerely,
Brian
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

has anyone seen any decals for markings of ANY of Robin Old's planes?

Hello Eric,

Scat III is the P-38 he scored with, Scat IV is the Mustang he scored with, I do not know the number of the F4.

Sincerely,
Brian

alright, thanks a lot. I couldn't remember exactly what "version" of Scat they were. were those planes die cast or plastic? and where were the decals from, or did they come painted like that?

I have another question for the 109 guys out there. I was contemplating modeling Erich Harttman's Bf 109, but I'm not sure what version to be looking for and wheter or not he had kill scores on his. I saw the 32nd hasegawa kit at the store and thought about getting it, but then I noticed that there were no kill markings on it, and I thought I'd better ask first, since we have to model the aircraft while the pilot was an ace. Thanks for any help guys, I'll keep my research going, but you guys could probably give me a bump in the right direction. I'm still kinda new to the whole researching the planes department (recently graduated from just building the kit in the box the way it says to).
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
[/quote]

alright, thanks a lot. I couldn't remember exactly what "version" of Scat they were. were those planes die cast or plastic? and where were the decals from, or did they come painted like that?

[/quote]

Hello Eric,

These are Corgi Diecast replicas. The markings match the color plates in my Osprey P-39 Aces of the ETO/MTO so I would guess the P-51 is spot on .

Sincerely,
Brian
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 06:11 PM UTC
well, I completely changed my mind, and I'm going to build Ken Walsh's F4U-4. Aeromasters are on the way! I've got about 12 Corsairs sitting on my shelf, and I have yet to build one in my lifetime. Good excuse to get one going!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hackl's 190 is a great subject - here's one I have in my collection

That will work great. Thanks very much. I guess I now have a good reason to actually do one of those 190s.