Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Photo-Recce campaign proposal
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The famous cast that entitled Vanize complimentary ribbons in both the "Show your teeth" and "Suez 50 years" campaigns

well, actually, I only received a pity ribbon from the immensely kind moderator of the Suez campaign (thank you very much!). The "Show Your Teeth" campaign was apparently too viscious for that.

BTW, the car wreck that caused that broken hand was a large part of the reason I dropped out of modeling for a while, as I also got a mild case of whiplash from it. The neck injury did not affect me much at first besides spinal stiffness for a few weeks, but a few months down the line (after the broken left hand had healed) it cause a pinched nerve which gave constant pain in my right shoulder and also numbness in my right thumb and index finger for over a year. It still bothers me a little sometimes, but my worst days now are far better than my best ones were 6 months ago, so it is definitely on the mend (finally) and I can do stuff that requires fine dexterity again. I am REALLY gald that is more or less behind me now.

Then there was also a 1000 mile move across the country (to warmer weather), a new job, a wonderful new girlfriend (who totally tolerates modeling mania and messed up shoulders), and buying a fixer-upper house in the middle of all that too. the result of the latter is that I now have a whole room devoted to being my model building studio (to heck with guest bedrooms!) and a garage with a corner setup for airbrushing -much better than working on the kitchen tble and trying to spray paint on the balcony.

Hooray for new beginnings!

Anyway, the ups and downs of my personal life is way off topic - I will most likely be doing an RF-84F (a fusion of Heller and Monogram kits) for this campaign, but an Accurate Minitures F-6 Mustang is not out of the question.

It's good to see that you are still in the running campaigns business PolarBear.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well, actually, I only received a pity ribbon from the immensely kind moderator of the Suez campaign (thank you very much!). The "Show Your Teeth" campaign was apparently too viscious for that.

Hi Vance,

Sorry for that, I must have forgot. The ribbon should now show up on your profile page. Welcome back to the site...

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
Jean-Luc!: I'm glad that you finally decided to jump into this thread! Dare I wish for you to join our little campaign!? With something French, perhaps?

May I suggest this sleak and beautiful French photo-reconnaissance jet (with quite an interesting history) - If you've started to enjoy modern aircraft, that is! Personally, I'm getting quite a kick from building the Jas 39A Gripen for the Mark Sharp campaign!

Vanize: Life sure takes its turns! It seems that you've met a wonderful woman and that you are enjoying yourself! I've also been on a hiatus for a while (due to such marvelous things as a little baby boy taking all the space and time) but I'm slowly getting back to the hobby! - Both your suggestions will be fine entries in the campaign. Which markings for the RF-84F?

Cheers! // PolarBear
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hmmmmm...

I went through the Excel-based (ain't I scientific ) kit register quickly tonight: I have other High Planes Mirages that include photo noses so there is no immediate need to go shopping...

I also found several other kits, right now I think I am a bit biased towards an Arado 234. I got it in an exchange deal, I was none too happy about it since I thought the four-engined Arado was Luftwaffe '46, but it seems that there were almost 20 built and some of them were used in a PR role.

I have a very tempting P-38 conversion as well but hollowing out the solid resin nose for the "camera must show"-requirement doesn't feel attractive And a Mirage IV but I leave that one to Jean-Luc for ethnical reasons...

With the inventory more or less bulging with PR-types, I think I will allow myself the luxury of a last-minute-decision when campaign start draws nearer!

Magnus
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi all!

Errrr... Uhhh! I don't know if I will have the time to participate to this very interesting Campaign, but certainly not with a modern aircraft! I've already done the Rafale last year and I think I will stick to WW2 for the next 10 years at last!

Ok, let's see what I have in my stash for this...

Jean-Luc
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 03:34 PM UTC
Ok, I enlisted... want to build the mustang recce.. but... just scored this 2 kits in Ebay:
ICM Suchoi Su-2 WW2 Soviet Reconnaissance Light Bomber
Heller Potez 63-11 France Bomber/Reconnaissanse

I have NO idea of the quality of the kits, they look like lots of work.. I will see what happens once the date get closer... cheers! James
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:42 PM UTC
Jean-Luc - thanks for the ribbon add! I wasn't fishing for one or anything. I was actually quite surprised to find the one PolarBear gave me when I logged back on a few days ago. But.,... cool!

However, I have decided that breaking your hand is not the most efficient way to earn a couple campaign ribbons. And in the coming months, look for me to finally post some pics of a completed B-25 with sharks teeth in that old thread. That model has been back shelved for too long. Same goes for the mozzy I was doing for the Suez campaign.

PolarBear - Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

I'm not sure on the markings of the RF-84 yet (assuming I do that one, but I am leaning towards it). It is a toss up between Danish, French, and West German markings. I have actually seen and touched the Luftwaffe machine out at the Gatow airfield near Berlin back when I lived there, so that has a slight edge right now:

Can't find a web reference photo of the French one, but it has the red ax on the side and cool splotchy topside camo.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:17 PM UTC
hey polarbear, I know this is an old thing to be asking you about, but at the beginning of the thread where you have the pic of the mosquito, is that from the USAF museum? It just seems like I've seen it before but I don't remember where exactly.

On that note, I'm gonna try to get a list of the planes at the Wright Patt Air Force Museum on here, cause I'm about a 5 minute drive from there, and I love going. so if anyone wanted pictures, I'd be more than willing!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On that note, I'm gonna try to get a list of the planes at the Wright Patt Air Force Museum on here, cause I'm about a 5 minute drive from there, and I love going. so if anyone wanted pictures, I'd be more than willing!

Now that is friendly help through the Aeroscale modellers network. I for one appreciate it. By chance would the museum have an SU-17/22 M4 on display? Maybe from old East German stocks or from captured Iraqi aircraft.

I just found a Kopro SU-22/17 in 1/48. It looks quite okay on the frames, but I do not know if it will go together well. I am considering to save this one for the swing wing campaign, but I am not sure I can keep my fingers of it that long
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:33 PM UTC
Well, well.. What do I have in my stash after all, a kit that makes a fine photo-recce build. But not without some scatch-building though.
MPM's Blenheim mk.IV (with decals for the Finnish BL-129. Yes, another FAF build...).

It seems that the manufacturer didn't pay enough attention to references (or just didn't care) while choosing that particular plane for the decal options, as it was already modifed for photo-reconnaissance duties by that time the marking represent. The bombardier's station was modified to hold a camera, there's a venturi tube under the nose etc. And then there's the camera to make. Well, at least the missing bulged cockpit side windows (shown on the box art, not featured on clear parts) aren't an issue, as I can't see this feature in my FAF references.
I'll have to see if have the time for the project by the time the campaign kicks off.
So it's a tentative "yes, I'm in" from me.

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi PolarBear, and everybody else of course.

I've been off the charts awhile due to moving of both myself and the company, but now I'm starting to get some time off again.

This suits me perfectly, since I'm rather slim in my modelling topics. A swedish Mk XIX Spit (S 31 in Flygvapnet) will be my choice. I'll probably take a trip to the Swedish air force museum for reference. If anybody wants some photos taken of the Spit standing there, feel free to ask.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hurray! Already, more people than the required ten have enrolled! I've sent a message to CRS for confirmation. Looks like this campaign is ON!

Startdate July 1st, so there is plenty of time to plan your entries etc.

Jean-Luc: Any WWII photo-recce aircraft will do just fine! I'm glad if you decide to join!

JMartine: I don't know about the quality of those kits, but they sure are interesting subjects. I absolutely love the looks of the Potez 63-11, so I hope that you will get around to building that one (even though the Heller kit might give you a match). I believe there is a more modern kit available from Azur, but that is beside the point - Just look at this beauty! It simply has got to be built!

Vanize: Here is a reference photo of the french RF-84F Thunderflash that you mention. I know that decals for this scheme is available, since I was researching this aircraft during the Suez Campaign. The battle axe just adds to the feel of this aircraft!

And here's some Danish dynamite;

I haven't seen Danish markings that often here at Aeroscale, so a Danish aircraft would be most welcome!

Eric: Yes, Eric, the picture of the Mosquito is from the USAF museum. And yes, everybody, I would LOVE to have a PRU blue Mosquito with invasion stripes and a beautiful red tail in this campaign! Please?

Jesper: The bottle of PRU blue is almost in the mail. Yes - I do hope that you will use it for this campaign. Your suggestion regarding a bonus Lightning will do just fine!

Emeritus: Good for you! I'm sure you'll find the time. The campaign does not start until July! By that time it will be sunshine all day and all night up here!
&:)

Longknife: Nice to see you back! This is starting too look almost like a reunion campaign! Feels like 1956 all over!

The Swedish S 31 is the "perfect" choice (I'm planning to build one myself!). They don't come more beatiful than this!

I would love more photos, even though there is quite a good "walkaound" at the ipmsstockholm site .

Are you going for 1/48 or 1/72? I just noticed that Airwaives conversion set is listed on "future releases" at Hannants. I believe that it has been hard to find lately. I have the Academy 1/48 Mk XIVc kit and the Flying colours 1/48 decals. I might be willing to part with them if you're interested.

Cheers everybody! // PolarBear
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
You're quite right PolarBear. It feels like the same bunch that fought through the desert, so HI TO ALL!

I'm aiming for a Spit in 1:48, since my (one of them anyway) main modelling slot still is swedish single prop fighters in that scale. Even if the recce spits were unarmed, they still are fighters at heart. Right? Another nice touch is that they apparently were washed every sunday (before flying to church?), so it will be one shiny blue jewel among the roughnecks.

I got myself a decal sheet for the S31 together with one for swedish mustangs, but I haven't got the model in my stash yet. If it's hard to find a useful XIX or XIV I'm clearly interested in yours.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[

I haven't seen Danish markings that often here at Aeroscale, so a Danish aircraft would be most welcome!

Ooo, I like that Danish NMF machine! Not sure I want to commit to a NMF on this one though - I am going to be grafting a Heller nose and wing roots to a Monogram fuselage (the profile of the Mongram F-84 is more accurate). I'll be scribing the panel lines too. Camo will help hide the invevitable blemishes, whereas NMF will accentuate them.

The french machine I am thinking of is from that same unit, but from some later date. Apparently they decided to apply camo. I found the image I was looking for:

Actually, does anyone have a good guess at the colors that would have been used for this? (Jean-Luc???)

My guess is standard NATO colors of the time period despite the non NATO camo pattern, but that is nothing but a guess. I have seen the black and white picture this profile is based off of, and... well, it was black and white, so it was no help (unless someone knows of a color original).

ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Polarbear: You might have just convinced me to build my Monogram Mosquito. I don't have it here with me and I have NO idea what kinda work is going to go into it to make it accurate, But I think I just found my motivation to build that kit. quick question though, what paint company makes the PRU blue?

Jesper: I don't believe that I've seen one of those, and it's not on the list. Here's a list of their aircraft alphabetically. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-061222-016.pdf

If anyone wants pictures, I'm willing, but bare with me I have a crappy camera...... or I can just use my fiance's so nevermind.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc: Any WWII photo-recce aircraft will do just fine! I'm glad if you decide to join!

Hi Björn!

I haven't said I joined the Campaign, only that I wanted to take a look at my stash!

I'm tempted to do a FW 189 or a BV 141 though...

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:28 AM UTC
The campaign is now officially approved! Time to create a nice award!

Jean-Luc: Why fight it? We both know that you are going to join sooner or later...

Eric: You can find PRU Blue from Xtracolor, Xtracrylics, Polly Scale, Humbrol, Testors (and probably from a dozen other companies). Mmmmm, Mosquito!

Cheers! // PolarBear
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:46 PM UTC
Björn -Thanks for that gorgeous pic, I do not know where you find the pics, but keep em coming! Yes, the kit will give me fits since I have only been re-modelling for a year (after a, ahem, 25 year hiatus!). The canopies by themselves look like a month of work! I am willing to try, would LOVE to try and make the kit to somewhat resemble that pic you sent! Cheers! James

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:24 PM UTC
oh shoot - i didn't notice the broken link on the image of the French machine. here it is again:

again - anyone have ideas on which colors might have been used for this camo job?

edit... Oh sure, now the one above shows up! not sure what' going on with that link...
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

edit... Oh sure, now the one above shows up! not sure what' going on with that link...

don't worry vance, I still can't see it up above, so thanks!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper: I don't believe that I've seen one of those, and it's not on the list. Here's a list of their aircraft alphabetically. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-061222-016.pdf

Thanks for the list.

Well, they actually have the SU-22 M4 which is the exact same aircraft as my kit. However, it is listed as "in storage" so it is probably not visible to the public. Maybe it will get out of storage before the campaign starts.

We will see when the campaign gets closer.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:22 PM UTC
Wow, you're right Jesper. I completely missed that! I guess all that airbrushing in a poorly ventilated room is getting to me........

........on a lighter note, I can always go ask them what the deal is with it. It's interesting how it's not labeled anywhere though. They don't even have a page for it with specs and what not.
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Savage: Thanks for the info on the Cheetah versions, and for the great link! Some really nice markings. I especially like the Swiss Mirage IIIRS - very stylish! (Syhart decals are suppposed to release decal sets in both 1/48 and 1/72 with these markings) And seeing a Viggen always make my fingers itch...! Welcome to the campign, btw! Any idea what to build?

PolarBear those Swiss Mirage IIIRS sure make you want to build Mirages and buy decals. The Viggen always looks Good!

I have Hasegawa's 72nd scale Blackbird in the stash, but would like to try one of the following if I can get enough reference material:

1. Hawker Hurricane IIb of No. 6 Squadron, Indian Air Force - They were fitted with 2 cameras (started using this config Nov 1943)

2. F4F-7s (F4F-4 Wildcat recon version) - Marine Observation (VMO) 251 (could remain airborne for 24Hrs)

3. Mirage 2000RAD which is the Mirage 2000EAD fitted with recon pods as flown by the UAE Air Force

4. Spitfire XIVe No. 6 Squadron, Indian Air Force

5. Supermarine Spitfire P.R. Mk. IX of No. 318 Polish Fighter-Reconnaissance Squadron

6. P-51B/C photo reconnaissance variant aka F-6C

My fall back is this:

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:10 PM UTC
I'd join in on this GB but can we build Tac Recon or is it confined to straight Recon birds ?.

As I have a plan to build a P 51c used by the 123rd TR in China and a Beaufighter If that was modified in field and used in Nth Africa by the RAF's Desert Air Force.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
Rob - Welcome to the campaign! Any aircraft regularly used for reconnaisance missions and carrying camera(s) will be allowed!

Cheers! // PolarBear