_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Photo-Recce campaign proposal
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:39 AM UTC
Polar Bear I have an old Revell 1/48 Mk ll that I could make into a PRlV but does anyone know where to get a conversion kit that would at least help with the gull wing area that is non existiant on the Revell a/c.? And is there any referance for such aircraft?

Bob
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC
Bob wrote
Quoted Text

Polar Bear I have an old Revell 1/48 Mk ll that I could make into a PRlV but does anyone know where to get a conversion kit that would at least help with the gull wing area that is non existiant on the Revell a/c.? And is there any referance for such aircraft?

I guess we are talking Spitfires, eh!? Such a lovely idea!

I found this 1/48 conversion set from Pavla at Hannants, which would cover some features of the PR IV, see below

I have no clue how to fix the wings, though. Perhaps someone that knows more about Spits can help you?

On a totally different note - I would like to change the name of the campaign (if possible)! A while ago, I saw an article in one of the aircraft magazines dealing with photo reconaissance aircraft (Spitfires in particular), and the heading was just perfect -" Alone and unarmed ". To me, that title just says it all! I believe that it would be a great name for this campaign, and I would love your input on the issue!

Cheers! // PolarBear
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi Björn!

The US Navy Viggie squadrons used the motto; "Unarmed and unafraid", so I´ll go for that!

Looks like a great Campaign coming up, can´t wait to get started on my Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5C Vigilante!
It´s a great kit out of the box, but I´ll spice it up with some etch from Eduard, resin seats from Avionix (former Black Box), New burner cans from Aires and new decals from Aeromaster!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 09:18 AM UTC
Polar Bear I have no problem with a name change. Thanks for the tip, I think the time in shipping from England to California would be too long for the campaign so I will have to look elsewhere or come up with a different a/c.

Bob
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hello fellow modelers. I have been considering this campaign for some time. I could not decide what to build. While scrolling through the on-line hobby shop web-page I found what I elieve will be the perfect build for me. Since it just arrived at my front door, I am ready to go. So I just clicked the enlist button and will be building an OV-1A Mohawk.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Savage: Thanks for the info on the Cheetah versions, and for the great link! Some really nice markings. I especially like the Swiss Mirage IIIRS - very stylish! (Syhart decals are suppposed to release decal sets in both 1/48 and 1/72 with these markings) And seeing a Viggen always make my fingers itch...! Welcome to the campign, btw! Any idea what to build?

PolarBear those Swiss Mirage IIIRS sure make you want to build Mirages and buy decals. The Viggen always looks Good!

I have Hasegawa's 72nd scale Blackbird in the stash, but would like to try one of the following if I can get enough reference material:

1. Hawker Hurricane IIb of No. 6 Squadron, Indian Air Force - They were fitted with 2 cameras (started using this config Nov 1943)

2. F4F-7s (F4F-4 Wildcat recon version) - Marine Observation (VMO) 251 (could remain airborne for 24Hrs)

3. Mirage 2000RAD which is the Mirage 2000EAD fitted with recon pods as flown by the UAE Air Force

4. Spitfire XIVe No. 6 Squadron, Indian Air Force

5. Supermarine Spitfire P.R. Mk. IX of No. 318 Polish Fighter-Reconnaissance Squadron

6. P-51B/C photo reconnaissance variant aka F-6C

My fall back is this:

Hello there Eric you have piqued my intrest with the comment on the F4F-7 staying aloft for 24 hours. I served with VP-8 and was one of the aircrew (ordnance). The longest we stayed up which was 1. travel time to station, 2. on station, 3. travel time back to base was 16-22 hours and that was with four engines and (1 turned off on station to save fuel) a lot of fuel. I would like to know if possible the information regarding that version of the F4F.

Bob
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
I just found an old Mongram kit of the Panther recon in the hobby store. It was used by the Marines in the Korea war for pre- and post strike evaluation. This will be my build. It has some really nice and colourful marking options in the box.

Looking forward to get started
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello there Eric you have piqued my intrest with the comment on the F4F-7 staying aloft for 24 hours. I served with VP-8 and was one of the aircrew (ordnance). The longest we stayed up which was 1. travel time to station, 2. on station, 3. travel time back to base was 16-22 hours and that was with four engines and (1 turned off on station to save fuel) a lot of fuel. I would like to know if possible the information regarding that version of the F4F.

Bob

Bob no big secret, they stuck an extra 555 gallons of fuel in the plane, bringing the total up to ±672 gallons, more than 5 times its original capacity. Add a single F-56 camera and remove all those pesky extras like folding wings, guns and if memory serves Armour plating.
Now Bob keep in mind that I actually like F4F Wildcat’s when you read the rest!

There you have it, an un-armed flying fuel tank that has one camera and can only outrun a Japanese Zero in a dive. The Wildcats although outclassed were quite nimble/agile aircraft, but add 2 odd tons of fuel and this changes quickly. Remember the destabilising problems the long range PRU Spits and first P-51 encountered with half full fuel tanks… Now imagine 672 gallons of fuel swishing around! Not even to mention the physical limitations of a single seat “fighter”.

No doubt the Marines changed a few of these specs before actually using the aircraft….
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob

Bob no big secret, they stuck an extra 555 gallons of fuel in the plane, bringing the total up to ±672 gallons, more than 5 times its original capacity. Add a single F-56 camera and remove all those pesky extras like folding wings, guns and if memory serves Armour plating.
Now Bob keep in mind that I actually like F4F Wildcat’s when you read the rest!

There you have it, an un-armed flying fuel tank that has one camera and can only outrun a Japanese Zero in a dive. The Wildcats although outclassed were quite nimble/agile aircraft, but add 2 odd tons of fuel and this changes quickly. Remember the destabilising problems the long range PRU Spits and first P-51 encountered with half full fuel tanks… Now imagine 672 gallons of fuel swishing around! Not even to mention the physical limitations of a single seat “fighter”.

No doubt the Marines changed a few of these specs before actually using the aircraft….

Eric it would be interesting to find out what the loss rate was due to enemy action as to accidents. I remember reading about the F4F7 many years ago but there was not much information other that the type only being a photo version. On another subject eric do you know of any referances on the Spitfire PRIV, I have had no luck finding any.

Bob
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC
Time to start your engines, boys and girls! This campaign will get off the ground July 1st! I'll ask the campaign manager for an "ofiicial thread". See you there!

Cheers! // PolarBear!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Time to start your engines, boys and girls! This campaign will get off the ground July 1st! I'll ask the campaign manager for an "ofiicial thread". See you there!

Cheers! // PolarBear!

lord, is it almost July already?!?
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 08:20 AM UTC
Time passes swiftly when building models, Vanize!

An Official campaign thread has been started here. Please use it for future posts!

Cheers! // PolarBear
 _GOTOTOP